Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles sign INF Wilson Betemit

Orioles sign INF Wilson Betemit

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 23rd, 2012, 10:00 pm

https://twitter.com/#!/danconnollysun/s ... 3697918978

#Orioles have agreed to terms, pending physical, with INF Wilson Betemit, on a 1-year, big-lg deal, acdng to an indstry srce #Tigers #Royals

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/01/23/or ... n-betemit/
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles sign INF Wilson Betemit

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » January 23rd, 2012, 10:29 pm

meh...

Not a fan honestly. I like Betemit, but just see no need for us really signing him. He can play 3rd,2nd,1st and DH for us, but he has a terrible glove. He is a decent bat, and a good bench guy, but the Orioles already have Antonelli, Andino, Flaherty, Davis as guys that can do all those things too. I guess I just would have rather given them all a shot before signing Betemit. It's not a terrible idea, but I just think the Orioles could give those 200-400 AB to a younger guy and let them see what they can do. It's not like signing Betemit puts us any closer to becoming a winning team. And he is not the same as the Endy Chavez signing in my opinion. Endy provides a few things the club didn't have.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2012, 10:39 pm

I don't understand this signing as a ML contract. I would have been OK with it IF it would have been a minor league deal.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Zach » January 23rd, 2012, 11:53 pm

I don't see where he fits into this roster. I would hope we aren't giving a major league contract to someone that won't make it out of camp, but then how to de explain the rule 5 pick. We are running out of spots for middle of the road players. Plus now where do Reynolds and Davis fit into the mix.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » January 24th, 2012, 12:26 am

So we all agree, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by Zach » January 24th, 2012, 9:20 am

Who possibly thought that a 2 year deal was a good idea!
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » January 24th, 2012, 10:07 am

Zach wrote:Who possibly thought that a 2 year deal was a good idea!

I'm not a fan, but there are quite a few people that actually like this deal. I guess we will just have to see how it unfolds.

Also on Flaherty: his odds to make the team were slim, but now they are very very slim.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by ofahn » January 24th, 2012, 10:49 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:

I'm not a fan, but there are quite a few people that actually like this deal. I guess we will just have to see how it unfolds.

Also on Flaherty: his odds to make the team were slim, but now they are very very slim.

If I were DD I would be on the phone with the Cubs this morning working on trade to keep him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » January 24th, 2012, 11:18 am

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:

If I were DD I would be on the phone with the Cubs this morning working on trade to keep him.

If they like him enough, that might happen.

Also, after thinking it through more, this is really not that bad of a deal. He could provide us with some good #'s and he was not expensive. Still not in love with it, but It's OK
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by ofahn » January 24th, 2012, 1:05 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Also, after thinking it through more, this is really not that bad of a deal. He could provide us with some good #'s and he was not expensive. Still not in love with it, but It's OK

The bat can be an asset. The glove, not so much................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » January 24th, 2012, 1:57 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Also, after thinking it through more, this is really not that bad of a deal. He could provide us with some good #'s and he was not expensive. Still not in love with it, but It's OK

The bat can be an asset. The glove, not so much................
well to be fair , he will be dh for the most part.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #12 by Zach » January 24th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Our last DH free agent signing worked out really well. Every year we make signings like this and the fan base tries to trick themselves into thinking this will make the difference and that we are on the right track. This does not show the right direction for this organization and shows the same things we have seen (if not worse) since 1997. I was 7 the last time we were in the playoffs and would like to eventually see it again...
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by osforlife » January 24th, 2012, 3:21 pm

I'm iffy on this one, mostly because it takes Flaherty off of the roster. We can't let this guy go. We need to trade for him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #14 by Tucker Blair » January 24th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Zach wrote:Our last DH free agent signing worked out really well. Every year we make signings like this and the fan base tries to trick themselves into thinking this will make the difference and that we are on the right track. This does not show the right direction for this organization and shows the same things we have seen (if not worse) since 1997. I was 7 the last time we were in the playoffs and would like to eventually see it again...

But to be fair, this is not close to the other DH's we had signed. they made big time $$$. Betemit is making half of what they make and will most likely not get more than 450 AB.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » January 24th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Jordan wrote:https://twitter.com/#!/danconnollysun/status/161642393697918978

#Orioles have agreed to terms, pending physical, with INF Wilson Betemit, on a 1-year, big-lg deal, acdng to an indstry srce #Tigers #Royals

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/01/23/or ... n-betemit/

Yawn :|
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles