Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Baseball America top 20 GCL prospects

Baseball America top 20 GCL prospects

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » September 23rd, 2010, 12:18 pm

1. Gary Sanchez, c, Yankees
2. Miguel Sano, 3b/ss, Twins
3. Justin O'Conner, c, Rays
4. Jake Marisnick, of, Blue Jays
5. Matt Lipka, ss, Braves
6. Juan Urbina, lhp, Mets
7. Jesse Biddle, lhp, Phillies
8. Aaron Altherr, of, Phillies
9. Max Kepler, of, Twins
10. Cito Culver, ss, Yankees
11. Luke Bailey, c, Rays
12. Kellen Sweeney, 3b, Blue Jays
13. Ramon Flores, 1b/of, Yankees
14. K.C. Hobson, 1b, Blue Jays
15. Bruce Rondon, rhp, Tigers
16. Keury de la Cruz, of, Red Sox
17. Christopher Hawkins, 3b, Blue Jays
18. Ryan Brett, 2b, Rays
19. Henry Ramos, of, Red Sox
20. Dixon Machado, ss, Tigers

No idea what the innings/AB limit is but I'd assume that's what kept a few O's off the list (Cameron Coffey, Tim Berry, Aaron Wirsch). Link.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Baseball America top 20 GCL prospects

PostPost #2 by THECavalry » September 23rd, 2010, 4:02 pm

BuckMagic wrote:No idea what the innings/AB limit is but I'd assume that's what kept a few O's off the list (Cameron Coffey, Tim Berry, Aaron Wirsch). Link.

Same goes for Machado, Narron etc.

Jordan, you spent a lot of time in the GCL. Is there anyone you feel should have made the list?
THECavalry
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Don » September 24th, 2010, 11:41 am

BA like to showcase names rather than talent sometimes. I think they are the hype machines of the minor league reviews. I take thier number with a grain of salt. I have been more or less a John Sickels guy, so take it with this in mind.

Jonathan Shoop is fairly talented from what I have seen. Jordan likes him a bit more than me at this time, but I also hardly go nuts on anyone below A ball. I consider the talent levels of GCL, Rookie Ball, and short season as community college level. Even with a spec of talent, you should fine success at those levels.

I feel high A seperates the masses.

This being said. I feel that BA list was populated with drafted players and hyped machine dominican free agents. It is not based on the production because Randolph Oduber hit .370 is not even on the radar over 40 games. Eric Avila had a very impressive debut, but he is no where to be found either simly because he is 20 years old. Jordan Scott is younger than most in the league. He had a better season than 1/2 of those guys out in the list. He simply is not on it because no one projects him to be worth a squat when he was drafted in the 14th round and not a high bonus baby.

Get the BA hype machine picture yet. List is littered with Yankee, Red Sox, Rays players and other getting 6 figure bonus and 3/4 will never step on a major league baseball field.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 24th, 2010, 1:31 pm

Don wrote:BA like to showcase names rather than talent sometimes. I think they are the hype machines of the minor league reviews. I take their number with a grain of salt. I have been more or less a John Sickels guy, so take it with this in mind.

I prefer Sickels, too.

Don wrote:Jonathan Shoop is fairly talented from what I have seen. Jordan likes him a bit more than me at this time, but I also hardly go nuts on anyone below A ball. I consider the talent levels of GCL, Rookie Ball, and short season as community college level. Even with a spec of talent, you should fine success at those levels.

Schoop impressed me when I saw him and stood out more than anyone else on the GCL squad. SSS, but the Orioles displayed a lot of confidence in him when they promoted him to Frederick. I like that.

Don wrote:Get the BA hype machine picture yet. List is littered with Yankee, Red Sox, Rays players and other getting 6 figure bonus and 3/4 will never step on a major league baseball field.

Agreed. Sano, Sanchez, Kepler and Lipka are strong prospects. But guys like Luke Bailey do not belong on this list.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues