Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's considering Johnny Damon

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #16 by birdwatcher55 » January 15th, 2012, 6:34 pm

thezeroes wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:CSPitt17130 wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:
I think JD would be an asset here for a lot of reasons.

Name one.
Good clubhouse presence, leadership etc.; still has pop (could hit 20 HRs); good role player, winning background


Who would he replace on the Forty Man Roster that would have LESS up-side than he (Damon) has???


I haven't a clue but I'm sure we still have a few "filler' AAAA types kicking around our roster, don't you agree?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #17 by ofahn » January 15th, 2012, 6:59 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:
thezeroes wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:CSPitt17130 wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:
I think JD would be an asset here for a lot of reasons.

Name one.
Good clubhouse presence, leadership etc.; still has pop (could hit 20 HRs); good role player, winning background


Who would he replace on the Forty Man Roster that would have LESS up-side than he (Damon) has???


I haven't a clue but I'm sure we still have a few "filler' AAAA types kicking around our roster, don't you agree?? 8-)


This discussion may be academic. If Duquette has his sights on Damon he may become a reality. http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... ig/?page=4
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #18 by Zach » January 15th, 2012, 8:03 pm

I agree with Birdwatcher on this one. He isn't an upgrade and doesn't deserve a spot on our 40 man roster. He doesn't fit into our rebuilding plan and wouldn't add wins to us this season and therefore isn't worth the money. Spend it either on the draft (within the rules) or in the international market towards Cespedes or Solar. Those would be better investments of money.
Zach
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 227
Joined: June 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #19 by Matt P » January 15th, 2012, 10:46 pm

The Orioles are not signing Cespedes.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #20 by ofahn » January 15th, 2012, 10:55 pm

Matt P wrote:The Orioles are not signing Cespedes.


I might have agreed with you before DD backed up the truck to Japan. Now...I think there's a chance.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #21 by thezeroes » January 15th, 2012, 11:34 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I haven't a clue but I'm sure we still have a few "filler' AAAA types kicking around our roster, don't you agree??


At this particular time, the Orioles Forty is not filled with to many over the hill players. We only have four that will have surpassed their 32ND birthday and I for one can not see adding Damon to a youthful roster that has potential.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 255
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 38

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #22 by CSPitt17130 » January 16th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Zach wrote:I agree with Birdwatcher on this one. He isn't an upgrade and doesn't deserve a spot on our 40 man roster. He doesn't fit into our rebuilding plan and wouldn't add wins to us this season and therefore isn't worth the money. Spend it either on the draft (within the rules) or in the international market towards Cespedes or Solar. Those would be better investments of money.


That would be disagreeing with birdwatcher. Birdwatcher thinks Damon would be a great addition. He's such a great clubhouse presence. :lol:

I agree with you about Soler. Jim Callis says he probably would have been selected in the top 5 picks in the 2010 draft and is likely to fall in the 11-20 range for their 2012 Top 100 list. He's the same age as Machado, Bundy, and Schoop and he would add another elite prospect to our system to go along with Machado and Bundy. This is the one move I want Duquette to make more than any other.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 181
Joined: December 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #23 by A_K » January 16th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Johnny Damon and Francisco Cordero. Christ. Why?
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #24 by Matt P » January 16th, 2012, 10:34 pm

A_K wrote:Johnny Damon and Francisco Cordero. Christ. Why?

Players who are past their prime and are declining, just what the O's love.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #25 by Tucker Blair » January 17th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Matt P wrote:
A_K wrote:Johnny Damon and Francisco Cordero. Christ. Why?

Players who are past their prime and are declining, just what the O's love.


sad, but true. I will not blow up until they actually sign them though. You never know if a team is truly interested in a guy until they sign him. I honestly think there is more speculation than actual interest in the off-season. Of course, that's what makes the off-season so much fun haha
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #26 by Matt P » January 17th, 2012, 4:54 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Matt P wrote:
A_K wrote:Johnny Damon and Francisco Cordero. Christ. Why?

Players who are past their prime and are declining, just what the O's love.


sad, but true. I will not blow up until they actually sign them though. You never know if a team is truly interested in a guy until they sign him. I honestly think there is more speculation than actual interest in the off-season. Of course, that's what makes the off-season so much fun haha

I feel the same way. I'm not gonna get all excited about it unless they actually sign him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #27 by birdwatcher55 » January 19th, 2012, 1:47 pm

I wonder if the Tigers jump back in now ??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #28 by LA Detective » January 19th, 2012, 6:20 pm

poor outfielder and can no longer bat leadoff effectively...NOPE
LA Detective
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 293
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 14

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #29 by Tucker Blair » January 19th, 2012, 11:35 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I wonder if the Tigers jump back in now ??? 8-)

I think he ends up there or the Yankees honestly.
They both make the most sense to me
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: O's considering Johnny Damon

PostPost #30 by Zach » January 20th, 2012, 9:41 am

He would make a lot more sense at both of those places because they have a solid core already and the money to spend. However, with the loss of Victor Martinez, Im not sure the Tigers get in on this and I think the Yankees ultimately end up with his services. Unless we got him for uber cheap it simply doesn't make sense. The money we spend on him could go towards other functions of the organization such as development or the international market (maybe towards Cespedes or Solar).
Zach
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 227
Joined: June 2011
Reputation Score: 3


Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wildsun80 and 8 guests

cron