Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Latest Jones Update

Latest Jones Update

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » January 10th, 2012, 6:42 am

Take it for what it's worth:

MLBInsideNewsScott Swaim

Was told #Orioles are backing off a potential Jurrjens deal after signing Chen.
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » January 13th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Roch on MASN thinks Jones' trade talks could be perculating again... 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #3 by ofahn » January 13th, 2012, 2:08 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Roch on MASN thinks Jones' trade talks could be perculating again... 8-)


You're assuming they ever really slowed down.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » January 13th, 2012, 5:06 pm

ofahn wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:Roch on MASN thinks Jones' trade talks could be perculating again... 8-)


You're assuming they ever really slowed down.

I think DD is getting proactive calls from other GMs. People talk. It makes sense. These things run like rollercoasters at times. Personally I don't think Jones is going anywhere 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » January 14th, 2012, 12:31 am

Stopped by just to see what was going on in Orioles land after reading about the Yankees making their moves today. As usual, not much. Markakis surgery puts him off the table until at least mid-year, maybe he'll be the player we all hoped we saw in those early years again. As far as Jones, well he's the biggest chip, though I guess with the Chen signing we can now move Guthrie (snickers). Sigh. Blow it up Angelos and then sell the team.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » January 14th, 2012, 10:00 am

Rising O's wrote:Stopped by just to see what was going on in Orioles land after reading about the Yankees making their moves today. As usual, not much. Markakis surgery puts him off the table until at least mid-year, maybe he'll be the player we all hoped we saw in those early years again. As far as Jones, well he's the biggest chip, though I guess with the Chen signing we can now move Guthrie (snickers). Sigh. Blow it up Angelos and then sell the team.

Sounds like a typical day (or year) at the office for the Orioles. BTW: not blown away by the Yankees' move. I have questions about both players but both needed to do something to upgrade their pitching and offense respectively 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #7 by CSPitt17130 » January 14th, 2012, 11:47 am

Rising O's wrote:Markakis surgery puts him off the table until at least mid-year, maybe he'll be the player we all hoped we saw in those early years again.


Actually Markakis and Buck think he'll be fine by opening day, not mid-year, and this injury occurred in the last regular season game so it has nothing to do with his performance before that.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/01/markakis-undergoes-surgery-on-abdomen.html
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 181
Joined: December 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #8 by dan72 » January 16th, 2012, 8:27 am

I would deal Jones if we could get a starting pitcher and 1b or 3b prospect in return. I think we have little chance of signing him so you may as well get what you can for him.
I had my hopes on Gio but that didn't happen. We need quality pitching. Lets go and get it.
dan72
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 368
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » January 17th, 2012, 7:08 am

You have two years to trade Jones so I don't see any urgency unless we are blown out of the water with an offer. I see him doing 30/100/ .280 this year and if that happens his market value goes up significantly higher. At this point, I would rather see what we have with these Asian imports and sort of let the process play out 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #10 by Matt P » January 17th, 2012, 4:52 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:You have two years to trade Jones so I don't see any urgency unless we are blown out of the water with an offer. I see him doing 30/100/ .280 this year and if that happens his market value goes up significantly higher. At this point, I would rather see what we have with these Asian imports and sort of let the process play out 8-)

Jones may not be worth as much next off season with Michael Bourn, Angel Pagan, BJ Upton, Shane Victorino, Grady Sizemore, and potentially Curtis Granderson (I'm sure the Yankees will exercise his option) as free agents.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #11 by Zach » January 17th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Sizemore has been injured throughout his career and should not be considered with Jones. Bourn and Upton are in the same picture with Jones, but Victorino is not. Arguments can be made for any of the original 3. Granderson is not going to be a free agent. If the Bombers don't look him up long term they will exercise his option for sure.
Zach
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 227
Joined: June 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #12 by ofahn » January 17th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Zach wrote:Sizemore has been injured throughout his career and should not be considered with Jones. Bourn and Upton are in the same picture with Jones, but Victorino is not. Arguments can be made for any of the original 3. Granderson is not going to be a free agent. If the Bombers don't look him up long term they will exercise his option for sure.


It does make a compelling argument for getting something done now when the teams that have something we need also need Jones, doesn't it?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #13 by Matt P » January 17th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Zach wrote:Sizemore has been injured throughout his career and should not be considered with Jones. Bourn and Upton are in the same picture with Jones, but Victorino is not. Arguments can be made for any of the original 3. Granderson is not going to be a free agent. If the Bombers don't look him up long term they will exercise his option for sure.

I'm not saying any of them are better or worse than Jones, just that teams next off season will be able to sign one of them and not have to give up any players. I would imagine some teams would rather go that route than trade for Jones.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #14 by ofahn » January 17th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Matt P wrote:
Zach wrote:Sizemore has been injured throughout his career and should not be considered with Jones. Bourn and Upton are in the same picture with Jones, but Victorino is not. Arguments can be made for any of the original 3. Granderson is not going to be a free agent. If the Bombers don't look him up long term they will exercise his option for sure.

I'm not saying any of them are better or worse than Jones, just that teams next off season will be able to sign one of them and not have to give up any players. I would imagine some teams would rather go that route than trade for Jones.


That's why it makes so much sense to trade him to one of the teams that need him and think they have a chance this year. I see that as the Giants, Nationals, and Braves.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Latest Jones Update

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » January 18th, 2012, 12:56 pm

I can't imagine Duke sitting on his hands with this situation beyond next year. AJ will either be dealt next winter or sign a long-term contract. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron