Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why hasn't Troy Patton pitched yet?

Why hasn't Troy Patton pitched yet?

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » September 20th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Saw Roch Kubatko's post on the matter and it got me thinking....

Patton's been up here for a while and we haven't seen him on the mound yet. Heck, we've even seen Pedro Viola. I don't have the stats in front of me, but IIRC Patton was very good against left handed hitters with the Tides. Why hasn't Buck given him the chance to show what he can do?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Why hasn't Troy Patton pitched yet?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 20th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Good question, and honestly, I'm not sure why Buck hasn't used him yet.

I didn't realize how good Patton was against lefties...

3.02 FIP, .229 AVG, 1.03 BB/9, 7.01 K/9.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by allstar1579 » September 20th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Jordan wrote:Good question, and honestly, I'm not sure why Buck hasn't used him yet.

I didn't realize how good Patton was against lefties...

3.02 FIP, .229 AVG, 1.03 BB/9, 7.01 K/9.

That's about the only hope he's got left at this point...LOOGY.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by slob » September 21st, 2010, 12:48 am

I've been wondering the same thing. I'd like to see if he would be a better option than Hendrickson next year.
slob
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Don » September 21st, 2010, 9:58 am

For the most part, I think the role Troy Patton fits right now is long arm out of the pen. Thankfully, the starters are being left out ot work out thier own mess or allowed to stick in a rough jam. The late guys are more or less set in stone.

There has to be hard reasons, but I try not to look to deep in it. This team is the hottest in baseball at the moment and we should simply sit back and enjoy the show while it lasts.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 21st, 2010, 4:39 pm

slob wrote:I've been wondering the same thing. I'd like to see if he would be a better option than Hendrickson next year.

I would compile a list of our pitchers who would be an upgrade over Hendrickson, but it's simpler to just make a list of who WOULDN'T be an upgrade over Hendrickson:
Alfredo Simon
Frank Mata
Viola
Fat Albers

That's about it.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by BuckMagic » September 21st, 2010, 4:48 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
slob wrote:I've been wondering the same thing. I'd like to see if he would be a better option than Hendrickson next year.

I would compile a list of our pitchers who would be an upgrade over Hendrickson, but it's simpler to just make a list of who WOULDN'T be an upgrade over Hendrickson:
Alfredo Simon
Frank Mata
Viola
Fat Albers

That's about it.

I'd put Simon and Hendrickson in the same category. Both can be serviceable relievers but on contending teams they are worthless.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 21st, 2010, 4:55 pm

BuckMagic wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:

Alfredo Simon
Frank Mata
Viola
Fat Albers

That's about it.

I'd put Simon and Hendrickson in the same category. Both can be serviceable relievers but on contending teams they are worthless.

Simon would be a good pitcher for the Home Run Derby.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by CamdenRevival » September 21st, 2010, 5:44 pm

I think Patton is just too low on the depth chart. Given the current bullpen members, guys like Mickilio & Sarfate who are either on the 40-man or just off it, and the likely scenario where Andy signs a couple of guys over the offseason, Patton is trade bait and best (if he has any trade value) and he could kill that value with a couple of disastrous outings at the ML level. Probably better to keep the mystery intact and let some team think they can reclaim him (which, frankly, may be possible).
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 21st, 2010, 8:51 pm

CamdenRevival wrote:I think Patton is just too low on the depth chart. Given the current bullpen members, guys like Mickilio & Sarfate who are either on the 40-man or just off it, and the likely scenario where Andy signs a couple of guys over the offseason, Patton is trade bait and best (if he has any trade value) and he could kill that value with a couple of disastrous outings at the ML level. Probably better to keep the mystery intact and let some team think they can reclaim him (which, frankly, may be possible).

Crazy Idea.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by slob » September 21st, 2010, 10:36 pm

hahaaah! You guys got good jokes. Fed up with Hendrickson, loving that list and add a couple more. Simon won't cut it, maybe. Sarfate and Mickolio have proven they can't. Haven't had a good bullpen since the Mills, Rhodes etc. days. Patton def. deserves a look. Let's see if Bascom can contribute. hey hey hey!
slob
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 22nd, 2010, 8:16 pm

Looks like we're about to see him for the first time in an O's uniform.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Baltimore Orioles