Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Reynolds to handle hot-corner duties in 2012

Reynolds to handle hot-corner duties in 2012

PostPost #1 by osforlife » January 12th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Assuming the Orioles don't make any impact corner infielder additions in the next month, Mark Reynolds will head into Spring Training as the team's starting third baseman.

While there was thought to keeping Reynolds at first base, given his improved defensive play at that position, manager Buck Showalter said earlier this week that he believes the club is strongest with Reynolds at third base and Chris Davis at first.

"You are going to see Mark start out at third base in the spring. That's where we would like for him to play," Showalter said of Reynolds, who was charged with 26 errors in 253 chances at the hot corner. "We think Mark is a lot better than he's shown statistically. I think he's going to come in [to camp] lighter and little more nimble."

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/a ... l&c_id=bal
Last edited by osforlife on January 18th, 2012, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Reynolds to handle hot-corner duties in 2011

PostPost #2 by Zach » January 12th, 2012, 8:48 pm

I disagree with Buck on this one. I think that Davis would give us better defense at 3b while Reynolds looked slightly more competent at 1b.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by CSPitt17130 » January 12th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Zach wrote:I disagree with Buck on this one. I think that Davis would give us better defense at 3b while Reynolds looked slightly more competent at 1b.

If Davis could play 3rd base, why has he been playing 1st for so long and not 3rd? If Reynolds can improve slightly at 3rd by working on his footwork (which Don suggested is a possibility on Twitter), he could provide average/above-average value at 3rd instead of below average value at 1st. Davis most likely provides below average value at 3rd or 1st (assuming he doesn't start to hit).
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 12th, 2012, 9:46 pm

osforlife wrote:Assuming the Orioles don't make any impact corner infielder additions in the next month, Mark Reynolds will head into Spring Training as the team's starting third baseman.

While there was thought to keeping Reynolds at first base, given his improved defensive play at that position, manager Buck Showalter said earlier this week that he believes the club is strongest with Reynolds at third base and Chris Davis at first.

"You are going to see Mark start out at third base in the spring. That's where we would like for him to play," Showalter said of Reynolds, who was charged with 26 errors in 253 chances at the hot corner. "We think Mark is a lot better than he's shown statistically. I think he's going to come in [to camp] lighter and little more nimble."

I like it. Don't think Reynolds makes that many errors again and Davis is below-average at 3B anyway.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by ofahn » January 12th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Jordan wrote:
osforlife wrote:Assuming the Orioles don't make any impact corner infielder additions in the next month, Mark Reynolds will head into Spring Training as the team's starting third baseman.

I like it. Don't think Reynolds makes that many errors again and Davis is below-average at 3B anyway.

I think what's most important here is that REYNOLDS will like it. His greatest market value is as a 3B. If the rest of the league sees he can't hold that position on OUR team I doubt they will see him as a premier 3B going forward. Should give him some motivation to work hard and improve.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » January 14th, 2012, 12:24 am

This is the only move a team living in perpetual purgatory with the occasional visit to Hell could make.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by Matt P » January 14th, 2012, 2:36 am

Well, it's going to hard for him to be as terrible as he was last year.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles