Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Luke Scott is a Tampa Bay Ray

Luke Scott is a Tampa Bay Ray

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » January 11th, 2012, 2:42 pm

He has signed a 1 year deal to be the rays dh and play a little first. There is also an mutual option for 2013. I

I'll miss Luke , an have a lot of good memories.
He did not make much sense for the orioles at this time though. Good pickup by the rays
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Luke Scott is a Tampa Bay Ray

PostPost #2 by osforlife » January 11th, 2012, 3:21 pm

I was about 8 so my favorite memory of Luuuuke must have been in 2008 or 2009. My godfather and I got to Camden a little late. The O's were playing the Detriot Tigers and Daniel Cabrera was starting. Before we even sat down, it was 6-0 Detriot. But the O's fought back and got with in 1 run when Ramon Hernandez(remember him?) hits a solo shot to tie the score at 10-10 in the bottom of the ninth. I'm not sure what inning it was, but Luke DRILLS the ball out of the park for a walk-off. I'm pretty sure that is when the nickname Luuuuuke came in. Had to be one of the better games played at Camden and easily the best of the year.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Matt P » January 11th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Mind explaining how someone who is a lock to put up an OPS higher than .800 when healthy doesn't make much sense?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » January 11th, 2012, 4:15 pm

The big question is his health. What does he have left??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Why Not? » January 11th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Matt P wrote:Mind explaining how someone who is a lock to put up an OPS higher than .800 when healthy doesn't make much sense?

Well, it's far from a lock. Scott is now A) older and B) more expensive. While injury contributed to his crappy 2011, it's also quite possible that Scott is heading down the slope of his career. He could be out of baseball in two years.

The Orioles should be able to get similar production in LF/DH out of less costly players AND be able to allot the savings toward other players. It will be interesting to see how much Scott cost the Rays. For certain, he would not be worth what the Orioles would have paid in arbitration. I was hopeful they could retain Scott at a reasonable price.
Why Not?
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 11th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Texas, Cincinnati, and Tampa were probably the places for Luke's "different" personal beliefs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » January 11th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Matt P wrote:Mind explaining how someone who is a lock to put up an OPS higher than .800 when healthy doesn't make much sense?

The Orioles are not going to win with him. Let the young guys get experience and show their worth.
At this point, there really was no reason to bring him back honestly.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 11th, 2012, 10:59 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:

The Orioles are not going to win with him. Let the young guys get experience and show their worth.

Remiold should provide similar offensive value, plays better defense, and is cheaper.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » January 12th, 2012, 1:29 pm

I have a source who says we're talking to Johnny Damon 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by ofahn » January 12th, 2012, 1:55 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I have a source who says we're talking to Johnny Damon 8-)

WHY would we be interested in him?????????????????
He was a good player in his time but he is a one dimensional player now. He can't play LF at ML average so he's a DH only.

The only benefit I could see in signing him would be his veteran presence and clubhouse leadership.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #11 by osforlife » January 12th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Damon? WHY???? Is he even considred an upgrade over Reimold/Miller/Chavez? Doubt it.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #12 by Why Not? » January 12th, 2012, 7:50 pm

osforlife wrote:Damon? WHY???? Is he even considred an upgrade over Reimold/Miller/Chavez? Doubt it.

I'm not sure I want Damon, but make no mistake. Damon is ABSOLUTELY an upgrade at the plate over Miller and Chavez.

A Reimold/Damon platoon at DH might be the plan. I suppose having a guy like Damon who has done some winning in the past might provide something. Of all the guys on the roster, only JJ Hardy has been on anything close to a championship team. The roster only knows how to lose.
Why Not?
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #13 by Matt P » January 14th, 2012, 2:41 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:

Who is he blocking from getting experience? Davis will be at 1B and Reynolds at 3B according to recent reports. All signs indicate Reimold will be in LF. Flaherty? Antonelli? Andino?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles