Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2012 Rotation

2012 Rotation

PostPost #1 by Zach » January 11th, 2012, 9:21 am

Now that the front office has made a splash in the international market to sign some starting pitching what do you guys think will be the make-up of the starting rotation for next year. I think it is safe to assume that Johnson will be kept in the bullpen and MLB.com feels the same. Chen, Guthrie and I have to assume Wada. After that I think that while Britton isn't a lock he is the closest thing in the remaining pitchers. The 5th pitcher will be interesting. Bergesen should be kept in the bullpen and I feel like it should come down to a competition between Matsuz, Arrieta and Hunter. I am not that familiar with Eveland so I don't know whether to include him in this competition. I hope that the risk of losing a job will inspire Matsuz to take this offseason seriously and prepare earnestly to hopefully return to his old form.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: 2012 Rotation

PostPost #2 by osforlife » January 11th, 2012, 3:40 pm

Guthrie-Chen-Wada-Hunter-Arrieta-Britton-Matusz-Tillman-Bergy-Eveland-Johnson-Simon are all the potential SP candidates. With the 3 starting pitcher aquisitions, Johnson looks to be headed back to the closer's role were he belongs. Unless Simon lost a significant amount of weight over the offseason, he is not conditioned to be a starter. Back end type of pitcher to back up Simon would be a good fit for him. Matusz needs to go to Norfolk and regain whatever confidence he has left and fix any mechanical probelms he has before jumping into a ML rotation again. Tillman needs to switch to the bullpen, but he'll go back to AAA's rotation. Bergy is not a major league pitcher and I don't see what DD see's in him. He doesn't have an out pitch, he can't miss bats, the league slugged over .500 last year, and has lost his sinker. I know he's out of options, but he's just not a fit here, I see a trade in the works. I don't think Eveland was aquired to be in the major league rotation on Opening Day. He's just depth so people like Mitch Atkins or Chris Jakubauskas don't ever start a game. That leaves 6 starters for 5 spots. I see the first four spots going to Guthrie, Chen, Britton,Arrieta, then have Hunter and Wada fight it out. Whoever doesn't make it out of the two becomes our swing man. Got that?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Matt P » January 11th, 2012, 4:53 pm

The only way I would even consider Matusz as part of the 5 to began the season would be if he is absolutely phenomenal in Spring Training. I'm talking giving up a couple of runs the entire camp, very low WHIP, great control, and a return in velocity throwing 90+ again. I really don't get why people think he even deserves a shot at the rotation, he was the worst pitcher of all time last year (among qualifiers).

Guthrie and Chen are obvious choices. If Wada was promised a rotation spot he gets one too. That would leave two spots for Britton, Arrieta, Hunter, Eveland, Bergesen, Simon, and Tillman to battle over in Spring Training. I'd say it's probably more between Britton, Arrieta, and Hunter though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by osforlife » January 11th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Matt P wrote:The only way I would even consider Matusz as part of the 5 to began the season would be if he is absolutely phenomenal in Spring Training. I'm talking giving up a couple of runs the entire camp, very low WHIP, great control, and a return in velocity throwing 90+ again. I really don't get why people think he even deserves a shot at the rotation, he was the worst pitcher of all time last year (among qualifiers).

Completely agree.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by Zach » January 11th, 2012, 6:16 pm

I never said that I thought Matusz would be part of the starting 5. I think that he will at least be considered since he has been viewed as one of our top prospects and showed potential in the past, but I agree that he would have to have a fantastic spring. That is why I said I hoped this would motivate Matusz and didn't even come close to considering him a lock for the rotation. I think that Britton proved himself last year and will continue to improve and will definitely have the 4th spot.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 11th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Guthrie is obviously a lock as long as he is here. Chen and Britton should also be locks. Hunter fits better in the bullpen but I think he'll open the season as a starter. I think Arrieta grabs the last spot with Wada going to the bullpen.

That leaves the AAA with Bergesen, Tillman, and Matusz.

If Matusz has his velocity and performs well in spring training then without a doubt I am moving Wada to the bullpen and having Matusz open as a starter with the Orioles.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by ofahn » January 11th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Call it wishful thinking but I still believe that Guthrie is traded and does not open the season with the Orioles.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Zach » January 12th, 2012, 8:49 pm

I don't see that happening. I think if it was going to happen it would have gotten done by now. If he gets traded I think it will be closer to the trade deadline this summer.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by ofahn » January 12th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Zach wrote:I think if it was going to happen it would have gotten done by now. If he gets traded I think it will be closer to the trade deadline this summer.

I don't see it that way. I always thought that Guthrie wouldn't be traded until the C J Wilsons, Mark Buerhles, Edwin Jacksons, Garzas, Gio Gonzales, and Trevor Cahills were off the market unless we included Guthrie in a package of other players. The Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Royals, and maybe even the Nationals are still in the market for a starter. The Yankees and Red Sox might have an enhanced interest in that Guthrie has shown that he can cut it in the AL East.

If camp opens and Guts is still on the team THEN I think they'll move him at the deadline.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » January 14th, 2012, 12:35 am

Dare to dream big boys. 2014 can't come fast enough.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » January 19th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Guthrie is here until mid May when we're likely out of it. The rest of the rotation looks like:
-- Britton
-- Arrieta
-- Chen
-- Matusz

Sleeper: Tillman

8-) 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by ofahn » January 19th, 2012, 1:56 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Guthrie is here until mid May when we're likely out of it. The rest of the rotation looks like:
-- Britton
-- Arrieta
-- Chen
-- Matusz

Sleeper: Tillman

8-) 8-)

And Tommy Hunter is where.........?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by LA Detective » January 19th, 2012, 6:14 pm

For sures:
Guthrie
Chen
Britton

Next if healthy and have good springs:
Matusz- I really think that pulled muscle in the strength of his back had more to do with loss of mph
Arrieta- If he comes into spring right on schedule he is my sleeper. finally pitching with good elbow=better control

Depth in order:
Hunter- will probably start 20 plus games due to injuries to others or someone not being ready...always happens..were good
Wada- If he stays in the BP all year= good news with starting staff....will be good in that spot
Bergenson - really wish we could get him back to form...would be HUGE...will have to have a big spring or be great in BP
Eveland- OK Depth...
Tilman- I think he will either be traded or sent to the BP where he might flourish (2or 3 mph added to the FB)

Simon to the pen to serve as 97 mph FB/split guy....Keep him in a role and he could be huge in the late innings..

I like our depth this year...Obviously the developement of 2 or 3 of the young guys determines how we go but we wont ever send out a bad pitcher that is sure to get shelled. I still say we havent seen the best from Guthrie either...I think moving him out of the 1 spot or aligning the rotation early where he isnt always facing the ace would help his confidence...

I am worried about the D behind them..It seems more important to DD than AM but I really wish it was the top priority...If it was I really believe our staff will be a big surprise this year...Things go pretty good with the staff then our pen will be deep and good. Lots to choose from...Defense please!!
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Return to Baltimore Orioles