Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Guthrie and the Yankees

Guthrie and the Yankees

PostPost #1 by CamdenRevival » September 18th, 2010, 10:12 pm

Jeremy Guthrie seems to be at his worst against the Yankees. I don't know if it's Girardi getting in his head around the HBPs or if it's just the long history of losing over the years, but he just seemed out of sync against them today as well as the starts earlier in the season (although I guess the 2nd start wasn't TOO bad). It brings up questions about his competitive fire.

Maybe it's me, but he seems like a nice guy and I wonder if the Girardi comments affected him. Pitching is all about confidence, but sometimes you have to generate it yourself and not be suckered by the gamesmanship. Can you imagine if Girardi made those comments about Roger Clemens? The first pitch would be in Jeter's ear on purpose and he would just glower into the Yankee dugout as if to say "keep f--king talking". Clemens wasn't a "good guy", but he's the guy I'd want out there in the must win game and the last guy I'd ever want to give "bulletin board material" to.

I like Guthrie, but if this were fight or flight, he is always"flight". It's almost like he needs someone with that fire to come in and teach him how to get pissed at the Yankees.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Guthrie and the Yankees

PostPost #2 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 11:09 pm

CamdenRevival wrote:Jeremy Guthrie seems to be at his worst against the Yankees. I don't know if it's Girardi getting in his head around the HBPs or if it's just the long history of losing over the years, but he just seemed out of sync against them today as well as the starts earlier in the season (although I guess the 2nd start wasn't TOO bad). It brings up questions about his competitive fire.

Maybe it's me, but he seems like a nice guy and I wonder if the Girardi comments affected him. Pitching is all about confidence, but sometimes you have to generate it yourself and not be suckered by the gamesmanship. Can you imagine if Girardi made those comments about Roger Clemens? The first pitch would be in Jeter's ear on purpose and he would just glower into the Yankee dugout as if to say "keep f--king talking". Clemens wasn't a "good guy", but he's the guy I'd want out there in the must win game and the last guy I'd ever want to give "bulletin board material" to.

I like Guthrie, but if this were fight or flight, he is always"flight". It's almost like he needs someone with that fire to come in and teach him how to get pissed at the Yankees.

Kinda funny how the one team that Guthrie can't beat is the ONE team that Matusz and Arrieta seem to have already mastered.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 21st, 2010, 4:32 pm

I love how pissed off Girardi gets whenever Guthrie hits any of his guys, yet he defends AJ Burnett after he beans two of our guys. Guthrie's next pitch against the Yankees should go straight towards Joe Girardi. I don't care if he's the manager of the Cubs next year.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by CamdenRevival » September 21st, 2010, 5:47 pm

It's pure gamesmanship. He's just trying to get in Guthrie's head and it's working. Some (Buck) needs to take Guthrie aside and tell him that Girardi is trying some Jedi mind tricks, using any advantage to win (just like Jeter getting "hit" by the pitch. Guthrie's a Stanford guy--he's too smart for this...
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 21st, 2010, 8:49 pm

Guthrie and Girardi need to hug and make up.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles