Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should the Orioles have gone after Anthony Rizzo?

Should the Orioles have gone after Anthony Rizzo?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 6th, 2012, 9:47 pm

The Cubs and Padres have completed a deal that sends Anthony Rizzo and Zach Cates to Chicago and Andrew Cashner and Kyung-Min Na to San Diego.

Looking at what the Cubs gave up, which I don't think is much for a potential long term solution at 1B, should the Orioles have looked into acquiring Rizzo?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Should the Orioles have gone after Anthony Rizzo?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 6th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Yes, but whom did we have to trade that the Padres would have been interested in? Cashner is a solid ML ready pitcher. The closest we have to that would be Britton or Arrieta and either one would have been an overpay that we really couldn't afford to lose. In two years BOBBY Bundy might have been comparable.

IMO Mark Reynolds will be above ML average at 1B for the next two years. After that we may need to find a place setter until Delmonico is ready, and that's being optimistic since he's never had an professional AB. Mahoney needs to have a HUGE year at AAA to be taken seriously and Tyler Townsend has horrible plate discipline. Not a pretty picture.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » January 7th, 2012, 8:26 am

Pass... too many questions about his long swing. It might have cost us Schoop, who I think is going to be a special player 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by osforlife » January 7th, 2012, 11:51 am

I think we should have skimmed the topic. But I don't think we could put him in the minors like the Cubs are doing. We already have too many 1st base options in the upper minors. Mahoney, Baker, Townsend, Waring. I don't think 1st base is one of our worries at this point.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » January 7th, 2012, 11:52 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Pass... too many questions about his long swing. It might have cost us Schoop, who I think is going to be a special player 8-)
I agree, although if he could have been had for a reasonable price I would have taken a flier on him.

But really, the orioles just need to see what they have in Davis anontelli and flaherty in my opinion.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 7th, 2012, 1:52 pm

osforlife wrote: Mahoney, Baker, Townsend, Waring. I don't think 1st base is one of our worries at this point.

I don't mean to be pessimistic but I don't think there's a ML 1B for a winning team in that group. Baker, Townsend, and Waring have extremely poor plate discipline and will be human sacrifices to ML pitching. At least Townsend hits for average but you have to wonder if he can maintain that above A ball with his poor K/BB ratio. Mahoney is a long shot but he can shorten those odds if he has a MONSTER season at AAA.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Matt P » January 7th, 2012, 3:46 pm

osforlife wrote:I think we should have skimmed the topic. But I don't think we could put him in the minors like the Cubs are doing. We already have too many 1st base options in the upper minors. Mahoney, Baker, Townsend, Waring. I don't think 1st base is one of our worries at this point.

None of those players are as good as Rizzo.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by osforlife » January 7th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Matt P wrote:
osforlife wrote:I think we should have skimmed the topic. But I don't think we could put him in the minors like the Cubs are doing. We already have too many 1st base options in the upper minors. Mahoney, Baker, Townsend, Waring. I don't think 1st base is one of our worries at this point.

None of those players are as good as Rizzo.

Never said they weren't. Juss sayin, unless we were to make a trade for Rizzo, then trade away some of those guys, you'd have to put them somwehere.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #9 by Don » January 7th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Rizzo is simply a slightly above level replacement player...I honestly have seen and others have agreed that he is a poor defense version of Carlos Pena. There are serious question marks about him and many I have spoken to are shocked, including myself, why the love fest over him as a prospect.

I would rather have Mat Adams over Yander Alonso, and seriously I think I may take Joe Mahoney over Rizzo (not Alonso).
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » January 8th, 2012, 8:42 am

Rizzo has been traded twice. What does that tell you??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles