Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Acquire Jai Miller From Oakland Athletics

Re: Orioles Acquire Jai Miller From Oakland Athletics

PostPost #16 by Matt P » January 3rd, 2012, 6:25 pm

I guess they think he has a chance to stick. He's out of options. He has a better chance than Snyder had to make the big league club.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by Shorebirdfan » January 3rd, 2012, 6:40 pm

ofahn wrote:Depending on how much money they got from the Rangers for Snyder this may have amounted to a trade of Snyder for Miller.

Agree that this is potentially what we did. (give or take a few bucks not coming out of my pocket.). I like this deal, but again that is assuming that this is another piece in the quest to deal Adam Jones.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #18 by Why Not? » January 3rd, 2012, 7:39 pm

Zach wrote:Please tell me we don't actually have a 3 man platoon for LF. This is getting udderly ridiculous as we have 3 subpar outfielders that are taking up roster spots to give us average production. We should either have stuck with Reimold or this should signify that we are done with the Reimold experiment. Signing other teams AAAA players is not a strategy for success.

I wouldn't look at Miller as a replacement for Reimold, but insurance in case the 2010 version of Nolan shows up again. it's just depth. I think the Orioles come out on top in the Miller/Snyder exchange.
Why Not?
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #19 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2012, 7:51 pm

Why Not? wrote:I think the Orioles come out on top in the Miller/Snyder exchange.

Replacing a player in a position where we had an excess for a player in a position where we did not.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by Don » January 3rd, 2012, 8:13 pm

Jai Miller has some things gong for him, but he must tweak his approach to the plate for his power to showcase on the parent club. I had told Jordan that he is currently a fastball only hitter and not many pitchers will have the ability to blow one by him, nor the ability keep him from turning on one.

He must learn to be patient at the plate, a bit more selective, and work on pitch recognition. He had some solid advanced last season that show he could amount to more than minor league depth, but he has to take the mental part of this game to really push forward.

For Jai to really take the next step, he must show the ability to produce with off speed pitching and remain selective at the plate. His swing is a tad long, but it is not the reason he is a "Fence or bench" player.

1. Remain patience in the box and allow the game to come to you at the plate.
2. He must stop chasing bad pitches out of the zone.
3. Lay off the junk in pitchers counts
4. Get ahead of the pitcher and force him to make the mistake.
5. Use your bat speed, hand strength to kill the baseball, when the pitcher makes a mistake.

Mental aspects are the ones that truly set guys a part. If Jai Miller can get the mental side of hitting, he can be lighting in a bottle.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » January 3rd, 2012, 8:30 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:PCL figures are obviously skewed a bit but why would the A's give up on such potential?? Sounds like we added another Chris Davis 8-)

Hitting 32 HR in the PCL is like hitting 20 on the East Coast haha (that's a little exaggerated, but you get the point)
This guy is an all-or-nothing type of hitter though.

He's got a ton of Ks as well from what I read LOL :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles