Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O’s Trade Brandon Snyder to Texas Rangers

O’s Trade Brandon Snyder to Texas Rangers

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 3rd, 2012, 2:28 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/01/03/os ... s-rangers/

The Orioles today announced that they have traded INF BRANDON SNYDER to the Texas Rangers in exchange for cash considerations.

Snyder, 25, batted .261/.312/.406 in 114 games with Triple-A Norfolk in 2011. He also appeared in six games for the Orioles, going 3-for-13.

With Jai Miller coming to the Orioles from Oakland, the Orioles 40-man roster remains full with these moves.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: O’s Trade Brandon Snyder to Texas Rangers

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2012, 2:32 pm

Good luck Brandon. I hope things work out for you.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » January 3rd, 2012, 2:43 pm

Snyder is a great guy, enjoyed my time talking to him 2 seasons ago when I met him.

Unfortunately, his career never panned out. I highly doubt it ever does either. But he needed a fresh start
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by osforlife » January 3rd, 2012, 4:01 pm

Just another draft failure. Time for Mahoney to step up and take Snyder's spot.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #5 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2012, 4:21 pm

osforlife wrote:Time for Mahoney to step up and take Snyder's spot

That was probably the reason for the trade. I was trying to figure out what they were going to do with Snyder this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by osforlife » January 3rd, 2012, 4:33 pm

The Texas Rangers have re-signed first basemen Brad Nelson to a minor league deal. Nelson was a former top prospect who played all of his 121 minor league games last year at AAA Round Rock. That's odd considering they just traded for Brandon Snyder...
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #7 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2012, 4:53 pm

osforlife wrote:The Texas Rangers have re-signed first basemen Brad Nelson to a minor league deal. Nelson was a former top prospect who played all of his 121 minor league games last year at AAA Round Rock. That's odd considering they just traded for Brandon Snyder...

When I have discussed Snyder with my friends over the last few years I have wondered whether Brandon's route to the majors was as a super utility guy. He can play 1B, some 2B, 3B, C, and both OF corners. If he can produce a .750 or better OPS in the majors with that kind of versatility there should be a spot for him somewhere.

I never understood why the Orioles did not come to that conclusion last year and make the transition so that he could play those positions at AAA.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » January 3rd, 2012, 6:28 pm

Another great first round draft pick by Joe Jordan.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by Shorebirdfan » January 3rd, 2012, 6:48 pm

Glad to see Brandon get a shot with another club. Koji, Gonzo, Henry, Miclat and now Snyder. At least if I decide to abandon this ship I know where I'm heading.

1B has become a crowded spot in minors with Mahoney, Townsend and Flacco all having success at their previous levels, so a move to make some space at the next level makes sense. Brandon was never going to be the 1B of the future so why not move on.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » January 3rd, 2012, 8:35 pm

osforlife wrote:Just another draft failure. Time for Mahoney to step up and take Snyder's spot.

Ditto .. he had his chances here despite his whining in the SUN today. Big opportunity for Mahoney. Let's see what he does with it because Fielder, from all reports, is headed for DC 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles