Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's sign Coco Crisp? (rumor/speculation)

Re: O's sign Coco Crisp? (rumor/speculation)

PostPost #16 by Matt P » January 3rd, 2012, 12:58 am

It could be an interesting few weeks. Won't be able to judge it until all the dominoes have fallen. Although, I did want them to sign Coco at the start of the off season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by Tucker Blair » January 3rd, 2012, 1:02 am

Matt P wrote:It could be an interesting few weeks. Won't be able to judge it until all the dominoes have fallen. Although, I did want them to sign Coco at the start of the off season.

Yea I am reading a ton over overreaction on twitter right now. I need to see what the deal is before I cast judgment (if it indeed happens).

I like Crisp, always have, so if they can sign him AND get a good return for Jones, I won't be complaining that much. Jurrjens and Prado for Jones would not be a good return for me though.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #18 by Matt P » January 3rd, 2012, 1:09 am

Even if they do get a nice return they are going to miss his bat in the lineup. Coco is a great defender and will give us an actual lead off hitter but I wonder how they plan on replacing Jones' production. I'm pretty excited to see what/if they trade him for. I'd gladly take Prado + JJ + 1 of their better pitching prospects.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by Tucker Blair » January 3rd, 2012, 1:11 am

Matt P wrote:Even if they do get a nice return they are going to miss his bat in the lineup. Coco is a great defender and will give us an actual lead off hitter but I wonder how they plan on replacing Jones' production. I'm pretty excited to see what/if they trade him for. I'd gladly take Prado + JJ + 1 of their better pitching prospects.

The prospect(s) are the main thing I am looking at. If they can get one of Minor, Vizcaino, Delgado, Teheran (I wish), I would feel much much better about it
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #20 by Matt P » January 3rd, 2012, 1:12 am

It's a shame they didn't just draft Minor instead of Hobgood.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 3rd, 2012, 1:14 am

Matt P wrote:Even if they do get a nice return they are going to miss his bat in the lineup. Coco is a great defender and will give us an actual lead off hitter but I wonder how they plan on replacing Jones' production. I'm pretty excited to see what/if they trade him for. I'd gladly take Prado + JJ + 1 of their better pitching prospects.

Reimold (.341) put up a better wOBA than Jones (.339) in 2011. His bat is very overrated IMO.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #22 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 3rd, 2012, 1:17 am

I am honestly not even sold on Jones being a guy to build around. Both his defense and offensive production are overrated. He has some pop but his plate discipline is going to limit him a lot. He will never be a star.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by Matt P » January 3rd, 2012, 1:19 am

Jordan wrote:

Reimold (.341) put up a better wOBA than Jones (.339) in 2011. His bat is very overrated IMO.

Oh, I agree that he is very overrated. I'm glad they are trading him rather than extending him. I still think unless they upgrade another position offensively they are going to miss him in the lineup though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Tucker Blair » January 3rd, 2012, 1:22 am

Jordan wrote:I am honestly not even sold on Jones being a guy to build around. Both his defense and offensive production are overrated. He has some pop but his plate discipline is going to limit him a lot. He will never be a star.

I think he is an above-average CF option, but like you said, I don't think the Orioles should build around him.
The only position player on the MLB roster capable of being a building block is Wieters.

Fans get a little too attached to Orioles' "stars". I have always been a huge Markakis fan, but eventually I came to my senses and realized his true worth. It's tough when you watch them 162 games a year and majority of your summer to not get emotionally attached.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #25 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 3rd, 2012, 1:26 am

Matt P wrote:
Jordan wrote:

Oh, I agree that he is very overrated. I'm glad they are trading him rather than extending him. I still think unless they upgrade another position offensively they are going to miss him in the lineup though.

They will be missing out on some production offensively (maybe ~8 runs), but Crisp is the slightly better defender. There is more upside with Jones, but I really don't see Jones as being all that much better than Crisp.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by Matt P » January 3rd, 2012, 1:30 am

I agree that he is not someone to build around. Extending him would have been an even bigger mistake than when they extended Markakis and Roberts.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2012, 9:03 am

A new twist. Jon Heyman has tweeted:

While orioles talked to crisps agent, it sounds like its not them (I need a new crystal ball). Not a perfect fit for baltimore.

I wonder if that impacts any trade talks with Atlanta?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #28 by Tucker Blair » January 3rd, 2012, 10:10 am

Roch Kubatko @masnRoch
#orioles are definitely in the market for another outfielder despite signing Endy Chavez. Won't be Crisp, I'm told, but they're looking

What other OF are out there now though?
They surely wouldn't sign a guy like Cody Ross. I also can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that could be a lead off guy really.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #29 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2012, 10:27 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Roch Kubatko @masnRoch
#orioles are definitely in the market for another outfielder despite signing Endy Chavez. Won't be Crisp, I'm told, but they're looking

What other OF are out there now though?
They surely wouldn't sign a guy like Cody Ross. I also can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that could be a lead off guy really.

The plot thickens.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #30 by Tucker Blair » January 3rd, 2012, 11:54 am

Possible trade targets (which totally defeats the purpose of a possible Jones trade):

Denard Span
BJ Upton
Marlon Byrd

I'm sure there are plenty more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles