Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Hisashi Iwakuma

Hisashi Iwakuma

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » January 2nd, 2012, 4:53 pm

The Orioles are interested in another Japanese pitcher, RHP Hisashi Iwakuma, according to mlbtraderumors. The Mariners are also known to have interest in Iwakuma. The Athletics presumably would have interest as well, since they originally won the posting for Iwakuma in 2010.

Iwakuma, 30, pitched for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in 2011. He posted a 6-7 record in 119 innings pitched, with a 2.24 ERA, 6.8 K/9, and 1.4 BB/9. He also battled shoulder injuries, which is why he was limited to only 119 innings.

The extent of the Orioles interest is not known, but Iwakuma would join a club with plenty of rotation competition if he indeed signed with them.

Don also mentioned that the Orioles were interested in him earlier today.

Here is a video of him pitching: (youtube was not working for me sorry)http://youtu.be/8d3t27GaLsA
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Hisashi Iwakuma

PostPost #2 by ofahn » January 2nd, 2012, 5:01 pm

I'll give Duquette credit. He's trying to add talent without spending our best prospects in the only market left open to us at this point. He's starting with pitching but this approach suggests that we might be more interested in Cespedes and/or Soler than we have let on.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » January 2nd, 2012, 10:35 pm

I am just not very fond of Iwakuma from what I read about him. He struggled to stay healthy last year. He also has an AT BEST average arsenal. It seems like the exact type of pitcher you do not want in the AL East. He probably would end up being a RP also. Why pay that much money for a guy (assuming he gets a decent amount of coin) that is going to probably be a RP and is a health risk?

I would much rather them sign Chen Wei-Yin over Iwakuma.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Matt P » January 3rd, 2012, 12:52 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I would much rather them sign Chen Wei-Yin over Iwakuma.

I agree 100%.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles