Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Oswalt

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #16 by birdwatcher55 » December 25th, 2011, 7:28 am

I don't advocate throwing money away. Signing Fielder would give you a legitimate MOO hitter and totally change the dynamics of your lineup. Signing Fielder would instantly put us on par with New York and Boston offensively in the AL East. As for the pitching, there are some potentially good bargains available for your January shopping - guys who could come in and be a big upgrade over the dismal rebuilding products we have trotted out to the mound in recent years. BTW: I thought Izzy and Wiggy were good signings 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #17 by ofahn » December 25th, 2011, 7:44 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I don't advocate throwing money away. Signing Fielder would give you a legitimate MOO hitter and totally change the dynamics of your lineup. Signing Fielder would instantly put us on par with New York and Boston offensively in the AL East. As for the pitching, there are some potentially good bargains available for your January shopping - guys who could come in and be a big upgrade over the dismal rebuilding products we have trotted out to the mound in recent years. BTW: I thought Izzy and Wiggy were good signings 8-)


Here's hoping that Santa has brought you peace, joy and some extra track so that none can accuse you of having a one track mind.

Merry Christmas.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #18 by Matt P » December 26th, 2011, 3:57 pm

I'd try and sign Jackson for 4 years. I read somewhere that the O's were considering breaking there 3 year preference for free agent starters for him (maybe BaltimoreSun? really can't remember but I know I read it somewhere). I'd try and get him on a 4/44 deal if possible, maybe a bit more.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #19 by ofahn » December 26th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Matt P wrote:I'd try and sign Jackson for 4 years. I read somewhere that the O's were considering breaking there 3 year preference for free agent starters for him (maybe BaltimoreSun? really can't remember but I know I read it somewhere). I'd try and get him on a 4/44 deal if possible, maybe a bit more.


I see Jackson as the next Oliver Perez signing. No thank you.

PASS!!
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #20 by kwalker35 » December 26th, 2011, 5:08 pm

I see Jackson informing the Birds to not even considering his services.
kwalker35
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 13
Joined: October 2011
Reputation Score: 1

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #21 by ofahn » December 26th, 2011, 5:58 pm

kwalker35 wrote:I see Jackson informing the Birds to not even considering his services.


I hope you're right.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #22 by Zach » December 26th, 2011, 8:08 pm

I think that Edwin Jackson would give us similar to what Guthrie gives us now, maybe slightly better. That does nothing to improve the team now or build for the future. It also wouldn't be a good fit for Edwin as he is not ace material and that is basically what we would need him for. Oswalt would work more for a stop gap measure.
Zach
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 227
Joined: June 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #23 by ofahn » December 26th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Zach wrote:Oswalt would work more for a stop gap measure.


Oswalt is the only starting pitcher of substance left on the market that I would overpay for. Two years at the rate he's asking for with a third year option at the same amount that would vest at 200 innings pitched in 2013. If that's not enough, then pass.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #24 by Matt P » December 27th, 2011, 11:08 am

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:I'd try and sign Jackson for 4 years. I read somewhere that the O's were considering breaking there 3 year preference for free agent starters for him (maybe BaltimoreSun? really can't remember but I know I read it somewhere). I'd try and get him on a 4/44 deal if possible, maybe a bit more.


I see Jackson as the next Oliver Perez signing. No thank you.

PASS!!

What makes you think that?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #25 by ofahn » December 27th, 2011, 1:06 pm

There's something about his makeup that strikes me wrong. He seems to put up good numbers when the games don't mean much but doesn't do well when they do.

He was the next big thing in the Dodgers' farm system and yet they traded him once they had a better idea of what they had. All of the many teams he has played for have done the same thing. Scott Boras is marketing him as the next Pedro Martinez yet teams aren't falling all over themselves to sign him. Of course, the half of baseball that has already had him aren't interested and the other half are trying to figure out what everyone else knows.

If he were a one year signing I'd be willing to take a chance on him but Boras wants to START the discussion at 4/50M. NO THANK YOU. I would have been willing to consider that for Buerhle and even a portion of that money for Oswalt but only to hold down a place in the rotation until the kids show whether they have it or not and to rebuild towards the 2014 season.

There's no question that you can never have enough pitching but there are better ways to invest your money. I'd rather take a chance on a one year contract for Paul Maholm or Joe Saunders or even bigger risks like Bartolo Colon or Rich Harden knowing that it might be wasted money but it's only one year's worth of wasted money.

If we're going to make a risky investment of 50M I'd rather it be on the duo of Cespedes and Soler.

The only reason to make a risky investment in Jackson is to win now and that's foolish considering the condition of our farm system.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #26 by birdwatcher55 » December 27th, 2011, 4:14 pm

ofahn wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:I don't advocate throwing money away. Signing Fielder would give you a legitimate MOO hitter and totally change the dynamics of your lineup. Signing Fielder would instantly put us on par with New York and Boston offensively in the AL East. As for the pitching, there are some potentially good bargains available for your January shopping - guys who could come in and be a big upgrade over the dismal rebuilding products we have trotted out to the mound in recent years. BTW: I thought Izzy and Wiggy were good signings 8-)


Here's hoping that Santa has brought you peace, joy and some extra track so that none can accuse you of having a one track mind.

Not to worry and honestly my friend I'm am tired of losing and I suspect if you poll ON you will find a majority of us want Angelos to $pend for a winner.

Merry Christmas.
8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #27 by birdwatcher55 » December 27th, 2011, 4:15 pm

I guess all things being equal, I might take that chance but bear in mind this guy is career .500 pitcher 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #28 by ofahn » December 27th, 2011, 4:55 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I guess all things being equal, I might take that chance but bear in mind this guy is career .500 pitcher 8-)


Pitching for some very bad Astros' teams. All things taken into consideration I think he's the best pitcher left out there and the kind of player you want influencing our young pitchers.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #29 by birdwatcher55 » December 29th, 2011, 3:06 pm

ofahn wrote:
Zach wrote:Oswalt would work more for a stop gap measure.


Oswalt is the only starting pitcher of substance left on the market that I would overpay for. Two years at the rate he's asking for with a third year option at the same amount that would vest at 200 innings pitched in 2013. If that's not enough, then pass.

You would throw your money away if you handed a guy with back problems a three year guaranteed contract. I can guarantee you Angelos would never sign off on that contract - not after what he has been through with Belle and Roberts 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Oswalt

PostPost #30 by ofahn » December 29th, 2011, 3:34 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:You would throw your money away if you handed a guy with back problems a three year guaranteed contract.


Please CAREFULLY read what I wrote again.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85


PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron