Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado

Re: Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado

PostPost #31 by ofahn » December 21st, 2011, 12:37 pm

Matt P wrote:I would love to find out who the prospect was. Can't really have an opinion one way or the other unless we find out.

Unless it was Teheran it would have been a bad trade.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #32 by birdwatcher55 » December 22nd, 2011, 7:03 am

The Braves, from reports I have read, have 4 top pitching prospects. If we could pick off two of them - preferrably 1&4 - plus Jurrgens - I would say that would be a steal for us. Sign Fielder, move Nick to center and sign a veteran bat for RF, and I would say you would have a much improved ballclub 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #33 by ofahn » December 22nd, 2011, 7:44 am

First, the Braves won't make that trade because they value Jurrgens too much. Second, I think Jurrgens is a health risk. Third, Fielder ONLY becomes a good investment if his market collapses and we could get him for 6/150M. Even then, he's only a side show while we rebuild.

Understand that you've now added Prince Fielder to a team that doesn't have a ML 3B unless you want to put Mark Reynolds back there. You know, the guy who fielded the position like they were shooting RPGs at him. Then you have to address 2B. Right now we're probably going to staff that position with prospects, suspects, and utility guys. But, of course, none of that really matters if we don't get good starting pitching. Which of our starting pitcher candidates do you think will be an All Star? Too high a bar? OK, which one(s) do you think will pitch at least 200 innings? Right, maybe Guthrie but after him? Yeah, I thought so. And, of course, if we don't trade Guthrie, now, we'll lose him for almost nothing next winter.

How does signing Fielder stock the farm system? Because we don't have much talent above A ball right now which means we won't be surrounding Fielder with much home grown talent until around 2014.

You build winning teams by designing the arrival of LOTS of young talent at the same time. By trading Jones, Hardy, and Guthrie right now we can add enough talent to our farm system to have a wave of quality young players arrive in 2014. Careful trading, impact international signings, and well considered drafting from this point on will allow us to maintain a winning team. If Fielder falls in our lap and they sign him to keep SOME of the fans happy until we rebuild the team properly, so be it. But to think that Fielder and "a few other moves" will make this team competitive is pure delusion.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #34 by Matt P » December 22nd, 2011, 9:21 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:The Braves, from reports I have read, have 4 top pitching prospects. If we could pick off two of them - preferrably 1&4 - plus Jurrgens - I would say that would be a steal for us. Sign Fielder, move Nick to center and sign a veteran bat for RF, and I would say you would have a much improved ballclub 8-)

I highly doubt any team is going to give 2 of their top 4 prospects + a solid major league pitcher for Adam.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #35 by birdwatcher55 » December 22nd, 2011, 4:16 pm

Matt P wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:The Braves, from reports I have read, have 4 top pitching prospects. If we could pick off two of them - preferrably 1&4 - plus Jurrgens - I would say that would be a steal for us. Sign Fielder, move Nick to center and sign a veteran bat for RF, and I would say you would have a much improved ballclub 8-)

I highly doubt any team is going to give 2 of their top 4 prospects + a solid major league pitcher for Adam.

Oh but have you read above: JJ is a "health risk" ;)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #36 by ofahn » December 22nd, 2011, 4:30 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Oh but have you read above: JJ is a "health risk"

Do you base your statements on wishes and dreams or are you simply ignoring facts? PLEASE look up Jurrjens stints on the DL the last few years.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #37 by birdwatcher55 » December 24th, 2011, 11:16 am

ofahn wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:Oh but have you read above: JJ is a "health risk"

Do you base your statements on wishes and dreams or are you simply ignoring facts? PLEASE look up Jurrjens stints on the DL the last few years.

I said it with "tongue and cheek". He is obviously durable by his innings pitched. But that said, the concern is the number of innings thrown and the question lingers: why are the Braves anxious to move him??? That in itself has to make you pause and examine the situation. However I would still take him on for sure PROVIDING I have the right package of prospects to make this a can't-miss deal. I trust DD is thinking along those same terms when you discuss moving a player the calibar of Adam Jones 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #38 by birdwatcher55 » December 30th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Read a report today that we're back in the Jurrjens' trade discussions, along with several other teams 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles