Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles reach agreement with Endy Chavez

Orioles reach agreement with Endy Chavez

PostPost #1 by osforlife » December 18th, 2011, 7:42 pm

Left-Handed hitting outfielder that can play left and back-up in center...check. Thoughts?
Last edited by osforlife on January 19th, 2012, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles reach agreement with Endy Chavez

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 18th, 2011, 8:21 pm

I don't like that it will probably effect Angle's playing time, Chavez seems like a more consistent veteran version of Angle. He's a good player to have but wouldn't it be better to give a younger cheaper player like Angle a shot?
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by osforlife » December 18th, 2011, 8:38 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I don't like that it will probably effect Angle's playing time, Chavez seems like a more consistent veteran version of Angle. He's a good player to have but wouldn't it be better to give a younger cheaper player like Angle a shot?

I also didn't really like the signing. I don't really see the point. We have a left fielder in Reimold. We have two 4th outfielders in Angle/Hudson. Now Angle and Hudson will be at AAA i guess. C Wieters, 1B Reynolds, 2B Adams, 3B Davis, SS Hardy, LF Reimold, CF Jones, RF Markakis, Rotating DH of Antonelli, Andino, Teagarden, Chavez.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Zach » December 18th, 2011, 8:40 pm

I think he is without a doubt an upgrade over Angle. The obsession with Angle has confused me as he has been an average player throughout the minors, not someone who would normally succeed at the major league level. Heck, our successful minor leaguers seem to struggle at the major league level. The big concern should be his interference in the playing time of Reimold as now is the time for us to see what we have in him, much like we did with Pie this year.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #5 by mthompson » December 18th, 2011, 9:06 pm

just another pointless move that will not improve our team
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #6 by ofahn » December 18th, 2011, 9:43 pm

I prefer to see this as the opportunity to move Adam Jones now that we have a replacement.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » December 18th, 2011, 9:59 pm

This is a solid signing by the orioles. Very good bench guy and he can play all OF positions . I don't see how anyone can knock this move. He provides zero risk for the orioles and gives them a few more options. Reimold will get him playing time. Everyone is overreacting about this move
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #8 by osforlife » December 18th, 2011, 10:06 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote: Reimold will get him playing time.

Okay good, that is what I was worried about.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Matt P » December 18th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Are you people serious with all this Matt Angle stuff or is it an ongoing joke from before I registered on this site? Chavez is a much better 4th OF than Matt Angle will ever be.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by ofahn » December 18th, 2011, 10:42 pm

Matt P wrote:Are you people serious with all this Matt Angle stuff or is it an ongoing joke from before I registered on this site? Chavez is a much better 4th OF than Matt Angle will ever be.

If you expect other people to respect your POV you might want to respect theirs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Matt P » December 18th, 2011, 10:54 pm

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:Are you people serious with all this Matt Angle stuff or is it an ongoing joke from before I registered on this site? Chavez is a much better 4th OF than Matt Angle will ever be.

If you expect other people to respect your POV you might want to respect theirs.

I'm 100% serious when I ask that question.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by ofahn » December 18th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Matt P wrote:
ofahn wrote:

I'm 100% serious when I ask that question.

Which explains my statement.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Shorebirdfan » December 18th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Extremely serious. So let me ask you, how many times have you seen Matt Angle play? Are you basing your opinion (which I assume from your comments is negative) on 70AB and some stats you've reviewed?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #14 by Tucker Blair » December 18th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Angle could use another year (or two,or more) at aaa anyways. He would have been alright as a 4th of but Endy is easily a better option and could provide a solid platoon with reimold as well. I still think reimold will Probably get 400 Ab (ideally and hopefully ). I have long been skeptical of angles wOBA anyways
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #15 by mthompson » December 18th, 2011, 11:53 pm

It is just another boring useless signing of a dime a dozen reserve OF. Never has this town been less interested in the the O's, and it breaks my heart. We have not made 1 move that remotely gets any fan excited, this offseason. Attendance will be at an all time low.

lets really look what we added:

Endy Chavez- career .686 ops in almost 2500 at bats.

taylor teagarden- a .285 OBP in 350 at bats, with average catching skills

dana eveland- 5.5 era and a 1.69 career whip

wada- jaime moyer without location

We lose vlad, koji, luke scott?.

This could be a 110 loss season!!
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles