Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Bergesen

Bergesen

PostPost #1 by Zach » December 12th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Have you guys heard anything on the tender status of Bergesen?
Zach
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 227
Joined: June 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 12th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Not yet. I'm expecting to see a release that they have settled on a contract. I'm not sure the club sees him as worth the approximately 1.4M he would get in arbitration.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4375
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #3 by Don » December 12th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Seeing Luke Scott non-tendered, I do not suspect they are trying to shed payroll and they need all the arms they can throw out to set the rotation and bullpen. They will see if he can bounce back this spring.
User avatar
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 699
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 25

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » December 12th, 2011, 7:11 pm

Don wrote:Seeing Luke Scott non-tendered, I do not suspect they are trying to shed payroll and they need all the arms they can throw out to set the rotation and bullpen. They will see if he can bounce back this spring.


Pretty much what I see too.
No way they could non-tender him when they desperately need arms. I still think Bergy has some value personally. Not sure whether he ever retains that rookie glory, but it's possible. I like him as a long man regardless.
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » December 12th, 2011, 7:16 pm

I would cut bait with Bergesen. He has not shown anything in two years. That ship has sailed IMHO 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #6 by osforlife » December 12th, 2011, 7:19 pm

I think its time for Bergy to move on to a new organization and get a fresh start. I think you can partly blame management with this one...shuffling through AAA and MLB the past two years probably effected his maturity. Ditto with Tillman. That would be the best thing to do for Brad at this point in his career. But I could also see them tendering him and keeping him for AAA starter depth.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » December 12th, 2011, 7:23 pm

osforlife wrote:I think its time for Bergy to move on to a new organization and get a fresh start. I think you can partly blame management with this one...shuffling through AAA and MLB the past two years probably effected his maturity. Ditto with Tillman. That would be the best thing to do for Brad at this point in his career. But I could also see them tendering him and keeping him for AAA starter depth.


Well to be fair, the Club really only cares about what is best for them. And I think tendering Bergy is the best thing to do. You can never have enough arms, and he still has some talent. Let's remember that he has had success in the pros already. His rookie season was very enjoyable to watch, and when he kept the ball low he was terrific. When he is in a rhythm he is tough to get to. Of course, you need a defense around a guy like this too. I saw a few games last season where he showed flashes of that past form too. I just hesitate to give up on young pitching like this. Same thing with Tillman too.

I Imagine a team like Oakland would love Bergy though.
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #8 by osforlife » December 12th, 2011, 9:26 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Well to be fair, the Club really only cares about what is best for them.

You can never have enough arms, and he still has some talent. Let's remember that he has had success in the pros already. His rookie season was very enjoyable to watch, and when he kept the ball low he was terrific. When he is in a rhythm he is tough to get to.


Good point.

Yes it was fun to watch Bergy in that rookie campaign. I had a foreshadow that the line drive off of his shin would either hault or kill his career. I have not seen that sinker I saw from him in '09 though.
Last edited by osforlife on December 13th, 2011, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #9 by Matt P » December 12th, 2011, 10:00 pm

I wouldn't give up on him just yet.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » December 13th, 2011, 12:00 am

Bergy is back. Good news.
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #11 by LA Detective » December 13th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Please get him right. His whole delivery looks different...get him back to doing what he was doing in 09..The films wont lie. I really feel the O's have screwed up on this one. Sent him down for a game or two then up, then down. They should of sent him down until he was 100% right. I really hope they relay convidence in him and make him a project....I really believe he can be the innings eater of the staff...He's not getting lit up because the league figured him out...it's because he has lost his release point and command.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 291
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 14

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #12 by Matt P » December 13th, 2011, 10:14 pm

The Orioles tendered a contract to pitcher Brad Bergesen rather than letting him become a free agent.

"I've got to tell you, I like Brad Bergesen," Duquette said. "I like what I've read and I like what I've seen. I have hopes that Bergy can make a significant contribution to our ballclub. I like a lot of things about him and I think he can have a good year for us."

The Orioles must decide whether Bergesen fits as a starter or reliever, and his role could be determined in spring training.

Duquette offered a vote of confidence while also issuing a challenge to Bergesen, who went 2-7 with a 5.70 ERA in 34 games, including 12 starts.

"I think he has potential as a starter," Duquette said. "It depends on him taking charge of his career and coming into spring training and having a big year. He has the ability to be a quality starter in the big leagues. To me, its really up to him. If he wants to seize control of career, he has the opportunity. We need pitching. We need starting pitching.

"I believe in this kid. I think he can be a good major league pitcher. It's time for him to stand up and do it. Where else will he find a better opportunity than here?"

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... gesen.html

It looks like he is going to be given an opportunity to start in ST.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #13 by Mike B » December 15th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Matt P wrote:
The Orioles tendered a contract to pitcher Brad Bergesen rather than letting him become a free agent.

"I've got to tell you, I like Brad Bergesen," Duquette said. "I like what I've read and I like what I've seen. I have hopes that Bergy can make a significant contribution to our ballclub. I like a lot of things about him and I think he can have a good year for us."

The Orioles must decide whether Bergesen fits as a starter or reliever, and his role could be determined in spring training.

Duquette offered a vote of confidence while also issuing a challenge to Bergesen, who went 2-7 with a 5.70 ERA in 34 games, including 12 starts.

"I think he has potential as a starter," Duquette said. "It depends on him taking charge of his career and coming into spring training and having a big year. He has the ability to be a quality starter in the big leagues. To me, its really up to him. If he wants to seize control of career, he has the opportunity. We need pitching. We need starting pitching.

"I believe in this kid. I think he can be a good major league pitcher. It's time for him to stand up and do it. Where else will he find a better opportunity than here?"

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... gesen.html

It looks like he is going to be given an opportunity to start in ST.


I think Spring Training is going to be very competitive.

I think Bergy has a chance to be a solid back of the rotation guy. It seems to be that the Orioles are trying to find guys who will throw strikes.
George Bamberger used to preach changing speeds, working fast and throwing strikes. Bergy when he is on, fits that mold. maybe Duqq. was not just blowing smoke it his first presser.
Mike B
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 6
Joined: December 2011
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » December 16th, 2011, 4:33 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Bergy is back. Good news.

Sorry .. I just don't see anything good here unless you are looking for organizational depth at Norfolk 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Bergesen

PostPost #15 by ofahn » December 16th, 2011, 4:49 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Bergy is back. Good news.

Sorry .. I just don't see anything good here unless you are looking for organizational depth at Norfolk 8-)


The Bergesen of 2009 would be welcome on any ML roster.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4375
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85


Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron