Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"Orioles interest in Prince Fielder is Angelos secret mandate"

Re: "Orioles interest in Prince Fielder is Angelos secret mandate"

PostPost #46 by Rising O's » December 11th, 2011, 6:07 pm

ofahn wrote:
mthompson wrote:I am so sick of anyone that thinks going after one of the best players in baseball is a bad idea. Prince is a proven player and the money that he would get would be worth it and make us credible for free agents for years to come. If case everyone has not noticed, these 1-2 filler players that are past their prime do not woioles to be work!!! We have the money and this town needs the Orioles to be competative or we will lose a another generation of fans. Angelos has the money and this town has the love for the team to show up if we get a reason to. W e can sustain a 100 mill+ payroll,.

Prince contract: 6 years 140 million is reasonable enough considering what else we have put our money into.

vlad-8 million
roberts- 4y 40 mill
gregg- 2y 12 mill
gonzalez-2y 12 mill

that is 30 million last year that we got next to nothing out of

Put your money into proven commodity. Hes is a top 5 power hitter in the game and will pepper the warehouse.

......and all of this solves the question of filling the holes at 2B, 3B, LF, SP, and RP how?

There is no panacea for this organization's ills. But we have to start somewhere. Fielder could be the first step, actually seeing a doctor...

That said the contract to Pujols just kills it for us. I'd rather spend the money on Cespedes and Darvish. At least those two will bring some unknown possibilities generating lots of excitement.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #47 by ofahn » December 11th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Rising O's wrote:But we have to start somewhere.

I would invest in Cespedes and Soler contemporaneous to a trade of Jones, Hardy, and Guthrie that would bring back at least five B or better prospects.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #48 by birdwatcher55 » December 12th, 2011, 7:21 pm

If Albert got ten years I would say Prince will at least get nine. My offer would be 9/220. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #49 by birdwatcher55 » December 12th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Jordan wrote:https://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/status/143750875326853120

Hearing #orioles interest in fielder is angelos secret mandate. But buck llikes him and duke isn't afraid of big stars/contracts

Anybody see a Heyman update??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #50 by ofahn » December 13th, 2011, 9:58 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:My offer would be 9/220

Do you realize that the last three years and 70M of that contract will almost certainly be "Vladimir Guerreo: The Sequel"?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #51 by birdwatcher55 » December 13th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Do you think David Ortiz (another big guy) is in the same boat as Vlad??? If your answer is no, then I would assume you are okay with handing Prince a 9 year deal 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #52 by ofahn » December 13th, 2011, 1:10 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Do you think David Ortiz (another big guy) is in the same boat as Vlad??? If your answer is no, then I would assume you are okay with handing Prince a 9 year deal 8-)

I wouldn't sign either Ortiz or Fielder. NEITHER of them will be their most productive when it will contribute to a playoff team.

With all due respect, you're living in a fantasy world if you think that Fielder is going to somehow make this team a winner now. Let's rebuild the team properly and maybe Joey Votto will be on the market when he might take us to the post season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #53 by JoseB » December 13th, 2011, 3:20 pm

We need to go out and get Fielder. Most of the big spenders (NY, Bos, Philly and Anaheim) are set at first base. This is our best chance. Offer him 8/200.. He can play 1st base for 6 years and DH the last 2.
JoseB
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #54 by hsbaseballcoach » December 13th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Even at 8/200 - He still has a say in where he goes. Although Prince loves the $$$$, I think he would take less to be on an immediate contender. I would much rather see the Os spend on the 2 Cubans. They will be around and productive for just as long, better chance of signing here, and are not out of shape like Fielder. He can handle being 280lbs at 27, but over 30 is a different story entirely.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #55 by birdwatcher55 » December 13th, 2011, 4:16 pm

hsbaseballcoach wrote:Even at 8/200 - He still has a say in where he goes. Although Prince loves the $$$$, I think he would take less to be on an immediate contender. I would much rather see the Os spend on the 2 Cubans. They will be around and productive for just as long, better chance of signing here, and are not out of shape like Fielder. He can handle being 280lbs at 27, but over 30 is a different story entirely.

I understand your point of view but how is Ortiz defying those odds??
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #56 by Rising O's » December 16th, 2011, 8:32 am

Bud Selig is that you? :lol:
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #57 by ofahn » December 16th, 2011, 9:18 am

While Ortiz has never been mistaken for an underwear model he has a different body style than Fielder. Not only does it allow him to age better but Ortiz has been working on contracts that have him about one season away from free agency. That has a tendency to motivate a player to keep in at least playing shape.

When you give a player a contract for seven, eight, nine, ten years you have to wonder if they will decide at some point to "retire on the roster". Since the CBA provides NO protection to a team in those circumstances I think it's foolish to make that kind of investment in any player regardless of his age or physical condition.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #58 by birdwatcher55 » December 16th, 2011, 4:30 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:
hsbaseballcoach wrote:Even at 8/200 - He still has a say in where he goes. Although Prince loves the $$$$, I think he would take less to be on an immediate contender. I would much rather see the Os spend on the 2 Cubans. They will be around and productive for just as long, better chance of signing here, and are not out of shape like Fielder. He can handle being 280lbs at 27, but over 30 is a different story entirely.

.. that most overweight guys start losing it in the their early 30s 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #59 by birdwatcher55 » December 16th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Rosenthal reports today the Cubs are the frontrunners and are only offering 5-6 years tops on a contract. Fielder is there for the taking if we want him. Step in with 8/9 at $22m per and get it done!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #60 by ofahn » December 16th, 2011, 4:58 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Rosenthal reports today the Cubs are the frontrunners and are only offering 5-6 years tops on a contract. Fielder is there for the taking if we want him. Step in with 8/9 at $22m per and get it done!!! 8-)

Boras is not going to be in a hurry unless someone offers "stupid" money *(see Nationals, Washington; subsection Werth). IF the Cubs are interested (and that's open to question at this point) then I could see them offering 6/160 with a 30M option that has a 20M buyout. That would make the guarantee 180M which might make Boras happy. I don't think anyone is going to best Pujols deal but I could see the Nationals offering an 8/200M deal in January but only after they get at least the impact CF they want, and maybe an impact SS. Add those guys and Fielder would make that team a monster.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles