Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Luke Scott. Trade him?

Luke Scott. Trade him?

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » September 17th, 2010, 7:07 pm

When the all-star break was upon us everyone wanted to see Luk Scott dealt. People believed that we needed to sell high on him and he was playing at the highest level he'd ever play. He's improved in almost every statistical category since the all-star break.

NOW his value is probably the highest it's going to be. We need to deal him this off-season, nuff said.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Luke Scott. Trade him?

PostPost #2 by allstar1579 » September 17th, 2010, 8:06 pm

BuckMagic wrote:When the all-star break was upon us everyone wanted to see Luk Scott dealt. People believed that we needed to sell high on him and he was playing at the highest level he'd ever play. He's improved in almost every statistical category since the all-star break.

NOW his value is probably the highest it's going to be. We need to deal him this off-season, nuff said.

Yeah I explore it if at all possible. He is the kind of player we need on a young building team, but at the same time we need some pieces still and you have to ask yourself if he'll be through arb. and looking at FA by the time we are ready or not. Nolan Reimold could grow into the same player, and we already have a lot of one dimensional guys on the team, it's starting to limit our options.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 1:20 am

Haven't we, as O's fans, for years, been begging MacPhail, Angelos, or whoever else to go buy a big bat? He IS that big bat. There's no searching necessary (though another would be nice), but Luke NEEDS to stay. People don't realize the numbers he has put up as sensational at times because of the sole fact that he's on the Orioles, but if you ask an outsider, he is a beast.

My friend Tim Anderson wrote a really nice bit about this topic, actually. Check it out here:

http://isportsweb.com/2010/09/02/weve-a ... the-power/
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by allstar1579 » September 18th, 2010, 10:43 am

2131andBeyond wrote:Haven't we, as O's fans, for years, been begging MacPhail, Angelos, or whoever else to go buy a big bat? He IS that big bat. There's no searching necessary (though another would be nice), but Luke NEEDS to stay. People don't realize the numbers he has put up as sensational at times because of the sole fact that he's on the Orioles, but if you ask an outsider, he is a beast.

My friend Tim Anderson wrote a really nice bit about this topic, actually. Check it out here:

He is NOT a big bat though, he is a complimentary bat, yes he's got some power and can put some good streaks together, but he's also known for going 2 months hitting around the mendoza line. He can't carry a team's offense or we wouldn't keep complaining about how we need a big bat would we?

To an outsider he is a solid player, but no one on other teams fear him, to a homer he's a beast. He's a great veteran presence, and a good solid bat, but defensively is sub par in the outfield, and hasn't shown an ability to stick at 1B, so he's limited to DH. Nothing wrong with that, we need that too, but it might limit being able to bring in Werth or Dunn because of it.

I personally say keep him until someone KNOCKS us over with an offer for him, but by the time we are ready to compete he's going to be leaving in FA anyway.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 18th, 2010, 5:53 pm

allstar1579 wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:Haven't we, as O's fans, for years, been begging MacPhail, Angelos, or whoever else to go buy a big bat? He IS that big bat. There's no searching necessary (though another would be nice), but Luke NEEDS to stay. People don't realize the numbers he has put up as sensational at times because of the sole fact that he's on the Orioles, but if you ask an outsider, he is a beast.

He is NOT a big bat though, he is a complimentary bat, yes he's got some power and can put some good streaks together, but he's also known for going 2 months hitting around the mendoza line. He can't carry a team's offense or we wouldn't keep complaining about how we need a big bat would we?

To an outsider he is a solid player, but no one on other teams fear him, to a homer he's a beast. He's a great veteran presence, and a good solid bat, but defensively is sub par in the outfield, and hasn't shown an ability to stick at 1B, so he's limited to DH. Nothing wrong with that, we need that too, but it might limit being able to bring in Werth or Dunn because of it.

I personally say keep him until someone KNOCKS us over with an offer for him, but by the time we are ready to compete he's going to be leaving in FA anyway.

I'd shop him. If we don't get a good offer for him, keep him. Maybe include him in a package to get a first baseman/third baseman/shortstop?
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by CamdenRevival » September 18th, 2010, 6:03 pm

I think he's more valuable to the power-strapped Orioles than to most other teams. He's under team control for two more years, which means he's still affordable. While he's not Gonzalez or Fielder, opposing teams need to fear him. Heck, even if they had Albert Pujols, they'd still need more than one power bat in the lineup, so you're gonna have to backfill him anyway.

If Andy could really wrangle a stud hitting prospect for him, I could see it happening. But I just can't see anyone ponying up. So I hope to see Luke in 2011.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 18th, 2010, 6:05 pm

CamdenRevival wrote:I think he's more valuable to the power-strapped Orioles than to most other teams. He's under team control for two more years, which means he's still affordable. While he's not Gonzalez or Fielder, opposing teams need to fear him. Heck, even if they had Albert Pujols, they'd still need more than one power bat in the lineup, so you're gonna have to backfill him anyway.

If Andy could really wrangle a stud hitting prospect for him, I could see it happening. But I just can't see anyone ponying up. So I hope to see Luke in 2011.

Opposing teams fear him for more than his bat...

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by allstar1579 » September 18th, 2010, 7:24 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
CamdenRevival wrote:I think he's more valuable to the power-strapped Orioles than to most other teams. He's under team control for two more years, which means he's still affordable. While he's not Gonzalez or Fielder, opposing teams need to fear him. Heck, even if they had Albert Pujols, they'd still need more than one power bat in the lineup, so you're gonna have to backfill him anyway.

Opposing teams fear Fielder for their food bill in the visiting clubhouse :)
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 18th, 2010, 7:38 pm

allstar1579 wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:

Opposing teams fear Fielder for their food bill in the visiting clubhouse :)

Same reason teams fear Matt Albers.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » September 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Scott has little value, and returns you nothing. If the O's really want to make a move that could have some impact on the organization trade Adam Jones. He, packaged with someone like Chris Tillman and Caleb Joseph should net you something useful. Additionally this would allow the parent club to platoon Pie and Angle in CF, meaning the drop off would be minimal.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #11 by allstar1579 » September 18th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Scott has little value, and returns you nothing. If the O's really want to make a move that could have some impact on the organization trade Adam Jones. He, packaged with someone like Chris Tillman and Caleb Joseph should net you something useful. Additionally this would allow the parent club to platoon Pie and Angle in CF, meaning the drop off would be minimal.

Scott has much more trade value than you seem to think. Comparable to the Garza/D. Young swap actually. You could see him dealt straight up for a top 100 prospect, and in a package could get you something very nice.

Tillman is at a low point value wise, not smart to trade him until he comes back and shows he's not a AAAA player (and he will). There are major questions on Pie's defense recently, he's not the player in the OF he was a few years back, and a lot of scouts don't think he could handle CF right now (that and he produces in a PT role, but who's to say he can full time?) Angle is more than likely never going to be a ML player btw. He has LESS than NO power, and doesn't have the speed to make up for it like Pierre did a few years back.

The hardest positions to fill adequately defensively, let alone get you some offensive production, are SS and CF. The last thing you want to do is trade one away that has shown he can play at an all-star level, is young and under team control for many years. He is the player you build around, not trade off.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 19th, 2010, 1:26 am

I'm sorry, but Scott just isn't the bat we need. He's a good player, but he is not the kind of guy that we want in the middle of our lineup. If he was that kind of guy no one would be asking for a big bat. We need a Joey Votto or Prince Fielder around here.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #13 by Don » September 19th, 2010, 9:31 am

Luke of seasons past was someone that would be a solid bench player because of the combination of the streaks and limits in his approach to the plate. Something clicked this year and I see a different type of player. The highs and lows are not as extream and he seems to have rounded his short comings at the plate. He is no where near un-tradeable, but he is hard to throw off the table and would be a dangerous number 6 hitter in a formidable lineup. He can give you a .280 - 30 - 85 season with a lineup posting a decent OBP.

His production is so cheap that a trade could not return the true value of his bat in the lineup. He is producing at a level of a 10 million dollar player and makes no where near that number. He can play multiple positions and I did not say well, but it beats the likes of Adam Dunn who is limited to first.

He might not be a long term plan, but you do not want an entire lineup consisting of projects and prospects. Every lineup needs these types of players. I like to think of Luke Scott as a poor mans Paul O'Neil.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #14 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 21st, 2010, 4:35 pm

Jordan wrote:

I'm sorry, but Scott just isn't the bat we need. He's a good player, but he is not the kind of guy that we want in the middle of our lineup. If he was that kind of guy no one would be asking for a big bat. We need a Joey Votto or Prince Fielder around here.

We need a guy who can hit for power consistently. And Luke's probably either: A.) hit his ceiling this year or B.) is dangerously close to hitting it. I'm open to the idea of trading him, but I would like him as a #6 hitter.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles