Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Yoennis Cespedes

Re: Yoennis Cespedes

PostPost #31 by birdwatcher55 » December 12th, 2011, 2:47 pm

ofahn wrote:Signing a player like Cespedes would be the big splash that ownership may want to make this winter so that they can prove to the fans that they are willing to spend what is necessary to win AND also prove that they are serious about becoming players in the international market. Beyond that, it might actually make sense economically.

Let's suppose the Orioles sign Prince Fielder for 8/185 which is about what I think he will go for. At least 2 years and 50M of that contract will almost certainly be a bad investment and by the time we can rebuild with what's in the farm system now Fielder will be on the down slide of his career. Now let's suppose that we sign Cespedes for 7 years and 45M. Even if he's a complete bust we've lost LESS money than the write off portion of Fielder's contract. But, if he's ONLY the next Mike Cameron (good CF with power but bad avg.) he's a bargain at today's prices. If he's an all star we get a serious bargain, and we get the good years of his contract when they can contribute to a winner.

Signing Cespedes (along with other international talent like Soler) combined with a major rebuilding trade gives us a chance to become a serious contender by 2014, and going all in on developing a first class farm system will make us a winner for a very long time.

The fans are looking for a sign. Players like Cespedes can be a cost effective way for the organization to put its money where its mouth is.

Why would this be a bad investment on Fielder at age 35?? Ortiz is still productive at 36. To the contrary, I think signing Fielder, who at age 27 is not even in the middle of his prime, represents a far better gamble then throwing money at a Cuban import who has never seen a Major League pitch 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #32 by Matt P » December 12th, 2011, 10:04 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:
ofahn wrote:Signing a player like Cespedes would be the big splash that ownership may want to make this winter so that they can prove to the fans that they are willing to spend what is necessary to win AND also prove that they are serious about becoming players in the international market. Beyond that, it might actually make sense economically.

Let's suppose the Orioles sign Prince Fielder for 8/185 which is about what I think he will go for. At least 2 years and 50M of that contract will almost certainly be a bad investment and by the time we can rebuild with what's in the farm system now Fielder will be on the down slide of his career. Now let's suppose that we sign Cespedes for 7 years and 45M. Even if he's a complete bust we've lost LESS money than the write off portion of Fielder's contract. But, if he's ONLY the next Mike Cameron (good CF with power but bad avg.) he's a bargain at today's prices. If he's an all star we get a serious bargain, and we get the good years of his contract when they can contribute to a winner.

Signing Cespedes (along with other international talent like Soler) combined with a major rebuilding trade gives us a chance to become a serious contender by 2014, and going all in on developing a first class farm system will make us a winner for a very long time.

The fans are looking for a sign. Players like Cespedes can be a cost effective way for the organization to put its money where its mouth is.

Why would this be a bad investment on Fielder at age 35?? Ortiz is still productive at 36. To the contrary, I think signing Fielder, who at age 27 is not even in the middle of his prime, represents a far better gamble then throwing money at a Cuban import who has never seen a Major League pitch 8-)

I agree with you. I would much rather sign Fielder than this guy.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #33 by hsbaseballcoach » December 13th, 2011, 7:59 am

I think the Os need to go after one of these guys. Both are certainly young enough that they will be in their prime when the Os are ready to compete again. Cepedes represents what Duquette is supposed to be about - International scouting so he may be the guy that gets the offer. If they sign him, Reimold can become a half way decent trade chip. I do not think Fielder will come to Baltimore even if they are the highest bidder, but if the Os make an offer that may appease the fans and show them they are certainly not sitting idle.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #34 by ofahn » December 13th, 2011, 9:46 am

Matt P wrote:I agree with you. I would much rather sign Fielder than this guy.

I would rather date super models. I think we're both going to be disappointed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #35 by Matt P » December 13th, 2011, 4:57 pm

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:I agree with you. I would much rather sign Fielder than this guy.

I would rather date super models. I think we're both going to be disappointed.

I have no hopes that they are going to sign Fielder so I don't see how I will be disappointed. I was just agreeing with birdwatcher that money spent on Fielder would be a better gamble than money spent on Cespedes.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #36 by birdwatcher55 » December 27th, 2011, 4:17 pm

From what I read in the Boston Globe Sunday, the Marlins are the front runners here to sign him 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #37 by ofahn » December 27th, 2011, 4:52 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:From what I read in the Boston Globe Sunday, the Marlins are the front runners here to sign him 8-)

And the Yankees were a "LOCK" to sign Cliff Lee.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #38 by Zach » December 27th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Call me crazy, but I just do not see the Orioles signing this guy regardless of what we might wish. The trend with the Orioles in the International market has been to take guys that no one else is going after. This is going to be a bidding war that I don't see us seriously participating in.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #39 by ofahn » December 27th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Zach wrote:Call me crazy, but I just do not see the Orioles signing this guy regardless of what we might wish. The trend with the Orioles in the International market has been to take guys that no one else is going after. This is going to be a bidding war that I don't see us seriously participating in.

SIGH! I'm afraid your reality trumps my optimism.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #40 by Zach » December 27th, 2011, 7:02 pm

However, maybe DD has changed the orioles way and they will surprise me. I would definitely be pleasantly surprised
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #41 by ofahn » December 27th, 2011, 9:58 pm

Zach wrote:However, maybe DD has changed the orioles way and they will surprise me. I would definitely be pleasantly surprised

I just think that the fans will see our making an investment in this guy as making an investment in them, too. We need to add young talent and this guy qualifies as that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #42 by Rising O's » December 27th, 2011, 11:27 pm

ofahn wrote:We need to add young talent and this guy qualifies as that.

Mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmm. 3 years 24 million.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #43 by ofahn » December 28th, 2011, 7:44 am

Rising O's wrote:
ofahn wrote:We need to add young talent and this guy qualifies as that.

Mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmm. 3 years 24 million.

Probably more like 6/40 but he'll be a lesser risk than most of the "free" agent pitchers on the market this winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #44 by birdwatcher55 » December 28th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Zach wrote:Call me crazy, but I just do not see the Orioles signing this guy regardless of what we might wish. The trend with the Orioles in the International market has been to take guys that no one else is going after. This is going to be a bidding war that I don't see us seriously participating in.

I agree with your totally and at that price tag: buyer beware 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #45 by ofahn » December 28th, 2011, 2:34 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:

I agree with your totally and at that price tag: buyer beware 8-)

I see Cespedes and Soler as MUCH better risks than Fielder or Jackson. Of course, there's always the chance that an investment turns out badly but with those two there's a potential better return for the money.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles