Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Yoennis Cespedes

Re: Yoennis Cespedes

PostPost #16 by ofahn » December 2nd, 2011, 8:58 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:One scout questions whether he can hit ... a plus plus fastball

Who can? If a pitcher can throw faster than 96 or so in the zone with movement they can be un hitable.

Cespedes will be a test case for quality scouting. The real evaluation is whether he has the bat speed to make the adjustment to ML quality pitching as well as the batting eye and patience to wait for a pitch he can square up on. If your scouts say yes then you invest the money.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by Rising O's » December 2nd, 2011, 11:37 pm

As I've already said the Orioles need a player like to this to put a spark in this moribund organization. 3 years should be enough, but our per year price is going to have to be about 5 million over the total of what others offer.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #18 by birdwatcher55 » December 4th, 2011, 8:18 am

From what I read a few weeks ago, Cespedes was being compared overall to Willi Mo Pena. If the scout's assessment is accurate, then that is a lot of money to gamble on a fringe type player, especially one who has trouble hitting a major league fastball. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #19 by Rising O's » December 4th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Seems like he's typically rated as an above average major league regular. In the average there are guys who will rank him to be Willie Mo Pena but most see him as something much more than that. Time to stop being scared and make some moves, the fan base needs to believe they are actually trying.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #20 by dan72 » December 4th, 2011, 8:41 pm

He has a lot of upside and I'd love to see him in orange and black however, we need to spend the money on pitching. Priorities people, priorities.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #21 by Matt P » December 5th, 2011, 12:51 am

I think it would be a waste of money. They would be better off spending half of the money it would take to land Cespedes on a plethora of amateur international talent.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #22 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 7:30 am

Matt P wrote:They would be better off spending half of the money it would take to land Cespedes on a plethora of amateur international talent.

Are you aware that the new CBA limits the TOTAL amount a team can spend on international amateurs age 23 and under to 2.9M a year?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by Matt P » December 5th, 2011, 5:54 pm

I forgot about the new CBA.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #24 by birdwatcher55 » December 7th, 2011, 12:23 pm

I'm all for spending on this guy IF he is the real deal. But in my mind, a much safer bet is spending the 7/$150-175m on Fielder. Just my two cents ;)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #25 by Tucker Blair » December 11th, 2011, 8:38 pm

The Orioles traveled to the Dominican Republic to scout Yoenis Cespedes this past weekend, writes Roch Kubatko of MASNSports. Among those in attendance were manager Buck Showalter, executive director or international recruiting Fred Ferreira, director of international operations David Stockstill, scout Carlos Bernhardt, and bullpen coach Bill Castro. Kubatko says O's brass is staying tight-lipped about whether or not they'll attempt to sign Cespedes.

Interesting. Not going to get overly excited, but I am happy to see they are there.
Don also noted on twitter the other day that there are other international talents at these workouts, not just Cespedes.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #26 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 11th, 2011, 8:44 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
The Orioles traveled to the Dominican Republic to scout Yoenis Cespedes this past weekend, writes Roch Kubatko of MASNSports. Among those in attendance were manager Buck Showalter, executive director or international recruiting Fred Ferreira, director of international operations David Stockstill, scout Carlos Bernhardt, and bullpen coach Bill Castro. Kubatko says O's brass is staying tight-lipped about whether or not they'll attempt to sign Cespedes.

Interesting. Not going to get overly excited, but I am happy to see they are there.
Don also noted on twitter the other day that there are other international talents at these workouts, not just Cespedes.

Don has provided scouting reports on four Cuban prospects. They will be posted starting tomorrow.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #27 by Tucker Blair » December 11th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Jordan wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:

Don has provided scouting reports on four Cuban prospects. They will be posted starting tomorrow.

Awesome. Excited to read them.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #28 by ofahn » December 11th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Jordan wrote:Don has provided scouting reports on four Cuban prospects. They will be posted starting tomorrow.

I look forward to seeing them.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Tucker Blair » December 11th, 2011, 9:16 pm

I still stand my ground on the Orioles signing Cespedes. I really think they should do it. Not only could he provide a spark for the fanbase, he could make other players expendable for trade. I also happen to think he will be worth the money too.

It will be interesting to see whether the Orioles are serious contenders, checking out other talents, or simply driving the price up for other teams like the Nationals and Yankees.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #30 by ofahn » December 12th, 2011, 12:17 am

Signing a player like Cespedes would be the big splash that ownership may want to make this winter so that they can prove to the fans that they are willing to spend what is necessary to win AND also prove that they are serious about becoming players in the international market. Beyond that, it might actually make sense economically.

Let's suppose the Orioles sign Prince Fielder for 8/185 which is about what I think he will go for. At least 2 years and 50M of that contract will almost certainly be a bad investment and by the time we can rebuild with what's in the farm system now Fielder will be on the down slide of his career. Now let's suppose that we sign Cespedes for 7 years and 45M. Even if he's a complete bust we've lost LESS money than the write off portion of Fielder's contract. But, if he's ONLY the next Mike Cameron (good CF with power but bad avg.) he's a bargain at today's prices. If he's an all star we get a serious bargain, and we get the good years of his contract when they can contribute to a winner.

Signing Cespedes (along with other international talent like Soler) combined with a major rebuilding trade gives us a chance to become a serious contender by 2014, and going all in on developing a first class farm system will make us a winner for a very long time.

The fans are looking for a sign. Players like Cespedes can be a cost effective way for the organization to put its money where its mouth is.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles