Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"Orioles interest in Prince Fielder is Angelos secret mandate"

Re: "Orioles interest in Prince Fielder is Angelos secret mandate"

PostPost #31 by BuckMagic » December 5th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Matt P wrote:Not once, in either of those comments, did I once mention anything about Andino or Reynolds being above average at anything.

The funny thing is with Andino's 1.8 WAR, he would have had over 2.0 for sure if he had a bit more playing time. That would make him an above average major league player!! :D
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #32 by BuckMagic » December 5th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Not to get away from the topic at hand, I still don't see Fielder in Baltimore. OBviously. :cry:
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #33 by birdwatcher55 » December 7th, 2011, 7:42 am

I've been saying this for weeks: Angelos steps in and makes a serious run at Fielder 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #34 by birdwatcher55 » December 9th, 2011, 7:12 am

Note on OH last night indicates we're very much involved in Fielder talks. Take it FWIW 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #35 by Don » December 9th, 2011, 9:39 am

https://twitter.com/#!/Olsen_Don/status ... 5837207552

Now every team has an interest in him, but I put the teams chances lower after the Albert signing that you are starting to get un-realistic.

I suspect his offer to be 7 or 8 years and between 180-190 million dollars when it is all said and done.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #36 by Tucker Blair » December 9th, 2011, 12:26 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Note on OH last night indicates we're very much involved in Fielder talks. Take it FWIW 8-)

I'd take anything from OH with a grain of salt. They have had some pretty ridiculous rumors and "news" over the years.

I honestly do not see Prince coming here by any means.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #37 by Matt P » December 9th, 2011, 1:36 pm

I would offer him 6/150 with a no trade clause. That would be the max I'd be willing to go.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #38 by ofahn » December 9th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Based on nuches by national sports writers and supported by a cryptic response by Scott Boras, I think there's a strong possibility that Fielder would seriously consider an Orioles' offer of 90M for 3 years with a no trade clause. This would give him the opportunity to put up MONSTER stats in a stadium almost tailor made for him and make him a free agent again when he's only thirty.

Even if he did sign with us, WHY would we want a deal like that? We don't have the talent to support him and won't for the next few years. That same 90M could be used to rebuild the farm system so that when Joey Votto becomes available after 2013 we would have a legitimate reason to consider investing in him. I just think it's a mistake to spend the money on a great set of rims for a car whose frame is rusting out.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #39 by Don » December 9th, 2011, 2:49 pm

The short term deal is a pipe dream, not laughable, but not realistic for the agent.

He wants to set a precedence for his client to grab the next wave "see what I can do for you". He will not get Albert money, but it will not be a cheap meal to bring him into the club either.

Baseball frowns on high total and short contracts because it sets a standard for arbitration. I had mention 3 years and $75 million for him out of half joking that it was his way to maximize his overall net worth over his career. $25 million per would have put him in line with Howard, Albert, A-Rod and it would not have rocked the overall landscape for future contracts. At $30 million per, Baseball would come down hard on any team and getting other organization to work with you in the future becomes difficult for trades, and other facets.

Knowing Scott Boras rather well and dealing with him in the past, he is looking and licking his chops for the 8 year deal and some team will throw it his way. It might include an op-out clause at 3 or 4 years, but he wants that high dollar amount as a show me litmus that he is the greatest agent in baseball.

While you make logical sense, it is not a practical approach that would be followed through for a those reasons.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #40 by ofahn » December 9th, 2011, 3:00 pm

Don wrote:While you make logical sense, it is not a practical approach that would be followed through for a those reasons.

If one team completely loses their mind and offers him "stupid" money" this will all be academic. But what if sanity becomes contagious and the offers are for five and six years? Then Boras and will have some hard decisions to make. I could see big money for three years or Milwaukee coming back into play with a three year opt out clause.

Regardless, Boras always puts on a show.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by Don » December 9th, 2011, 3:30 pm

I am trying to tell you that insider industry will not allow the market to set a $30 million a year contract, especially the Orioles because they do not ride off the Bud Selig bus in a rouge fashion.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #42 by ofahn » December 9th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Don wrote:the Orioles because they do not ride off the Bud Selig bus in a rouge fashion.

Which explains part of our problem. We didn't offend Sir Bud by setting new standards (investing big bucks) in last year's draft like some other teams did. We haven't offend Sir Bud by setting new standards (investing big bucks) in the international market. We haven't offend Sir Bud by setting new standards (investing big bucks) in minor league free agent signings. We haven't offend Sir Bud by setting new standards (investing big bucks) by increasing the number of minor league coaches or by paying them above the scale.

Wouldn't it be nice to see ownership focus more on building a winner and less on offending Sir Bud?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #43 by birdwatcher55 » December 10th, 2011, 5:01 pm

If you sign Fielder, this gives you trade pieces (Davis, Reynolds) to fix your SP, 2B and/or 3B. Not sure LF is a liability with Reimold/Scott platoon. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #44 by ofahn » December 10th, 2011, 5:24 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:If you sign Fielder, this gives you trade pieces (Davis, Reynolds) to fix your SP, 2B and/or 3B

In theory, yes, but what are those players worth? All we really gave up for Reynolds was Hernandez. Sure, a good pitcher but hardly an impact guy and only a reliever. Davis was really a throw in along with Hunter who was the guy the Orioles were willing to send 2M of Uehara's salary to Texas to get. Do you see the value of either of those players as having gone up?

IMO adding Fielder at this time can be best described in that iconic Baltimore way as "like putting mag wheels on a dump truck".
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #45 by DougDE » December 10th, 2011, 6:49 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Not sure LF is a liability with Reimold/Scott platoon.

On a championship caliber team it probably is. On a team that loses 14 straight years and just dreams of .500, its probably about par
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles