Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles DFA Willie Eyre

Orioles DFA Willie Eyre

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » December 8th, 2011, 1:38 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/blogs/baltimo ... llie-eyre/
The Orioles have DFA’d Willie Eyre to make room for LHP Dana Eveland, according to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com.

Eyre, 33, pitched in 18.1 innings with a 3.44 ERA in 2011 with the Orioles. The Orioles 40-man roster became full after they selected Ryan Flaherty in the rule 5 draft, thus making it a necessity to DFA someone. Eyre was also a non-tender candidate.

The Orioles will have to DFA, trade, non-tender, or release someone to make any other moves.

Not surprising to say the least. 33 years old, and didn't really pitch all that much. Certainly an expendable piece and obvious non-tender if not DFA'd.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Orioles DFA Willie Eyre

PostPost #2 by A_K » December 8th, 2011, 2:04 pm

Willie Eyre career totals:
163 IP, 4.73 K/9, 3.57 BB/9, 0.99 HR/9, .300 BABIP, 8.8% HR/FB, 4.95 ERA, 4.86 FIP, 5.09 xFIP, 0.2 WAR.
Dana Eveland career totals:
360 IP, 5.94 K/9, 4.5 BB/9, 0.62 HR/9, .341 BABIP, 7.4 HR/FB, 5.52 ERA, 4.38 FIP, 4.7 xFIP, 3.9 WAR.

Definitely an upgrade in terms of the 40 man roster.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Re: Orioles DFA Willie Eyre

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 2:11 pm

In an earlier post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=555 I suggested the following cuts to clear room on the 30 man roster:

Jeremy Accardo - no longer a proven ML talent. I would offer him a generous minor league deal with a spring invite
Willie Eyre - no longer a proven ML talent. I would offer him a generous minor league deal with a spring invite
Chris Jakubauskas - no longer a proven ML talent
Rick VandenHurk - he's a AAAA pitcher
Pedro Viola - he's a AAAA pitcher
Jake Fox - no room for his glove on our bench. If we could get by with an 11 man bullpen I would love to have his bat. I would offer him a generous minor league deal with a spring invite
Cesar Izturis - a free agent we don't need anymore
Vladimir Guerrero - a free agent we don't need anymore

Everyone is gone but VandenHurk.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles