Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Acquire LHP Dana Eveland From LA

Orioles Acquire LHP Dana Eveland From LA

PostPost #1 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 11:06 am

Fox Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi has reported in a tweet that the Orioles have acquired LHP Dana Eveland, 28, from the Dodgers where he sported a 3.03 ERA in 29 2/3 innings. He also pitched 154 innings at Triple-A. He has had previous major league staints with Milwaukee, Arizona, Oakland, Toronto, and Pittsburgh.

The Orioles sent LHP Jarret Martin to the Dodgers.

Eveland adds one more potential starter to the mix in spring training. IMO this move gives players like Matusz, Hunter, and Tillman even more incentive to report to camp in shape because the team now has an assortment of other viable choices for their starting five. I also think this trade lessens the chance of Jim Johnson being converted to a SP? Do you agree?

Do you like this move?
Last edited by ofahn on December 8th, 2011, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Acquire LHP Dana Eveland From LA

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » December 8th, 2011, 11:29 am

I didn't mind it until I saw that we had traded LHP Jarrett Martin for Eveland.

Not a fan. While they are at it, I guess they should just trade every RP from the wave coming through the low minors right now....
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 11:42 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I didn't mind it until I saw that we had traded LHP Jarrett Martin for Eveland.

Was your disappointment more because we have so few real prospects in our system or that you felt so strongly about Martin?

I hate to lose Henry and Martin too BUT I also am aware that the survival rate for A+ level pitchers is about one out of three. Both can be replaced by the college pitchers we selected in he 2011 draft. I will feel better about losing these two guys if we replace them through aggressive international signings or...maybe...a big trade. Just sayin............
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » December 8th, 2011, 11:46 am

I have never seen Martin pitch. But Multiple scouts and writers have been saying the Martin could end up being a solid addition to a pen in the future (not to mention a LHP with STRONG K rates). Not to mention Eveland was a non-tender candidate so the Orioles basically gave away another actual prospect (you can argue his worth) for a guy that might not have had a team by the end of the week.
I just think it is a dumb trade. I would have been fine if they had given away someone who has no value whatsoever or cash, but this is pretty dumb in my opinion.

However, Eveland could end up providing solid depth in the pen or as a long reliever (hopefully he does not start...).
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 11:51 am

Don't hold me to this But I think Eveland was coming back from an injury and finally hit his stride when he was recalled to the Dodgers. He pitched better there than at AAA although the PCL is known to be a launching pad.

I hate to lose any quality prospect but I think that Martin and Henry (the guy I would have preferred to keep) are interchangeable parts and I'm glad we had them to make some moves.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » December 8th, 2011, 11:53 am

Tyler Henson is the other guy in this trade.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 11:57 am

Again, nothing against Tyler who has worked hard to climb the ladder in the system, but he's an interchangeable part.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by A_K » December 8th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Dana Eveland is also an interchangeable part.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » December 8th, 2011, 12:18 pm

A_K wrote:Dana Eveland is also an interchangeable part.

Exactly my thoughts.
If you get an Eveland type for nothing, good for you.
Giving up 2 prospects for him is pretty foolish.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 12:27 pm

A_K wrote:Dana Eveland is also an interchangeable part.

I agree BUT Eveland is the kind of pitcher that we should be taking a risk on even if we have to eat his salary. He has a high upside against almost no risk. I can understand (even if I don't like) giving up some low level prospects because Baltimore wouldn't have been Eveland's first choice if he became a free agent. No one of any quality is breaking their neck to get here.

Think of losing Martin and Miclat as the cost of becoming a laughing stock and hope that we work hard to add more quality players to the system and change our image.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by A_K » December 8th, 2011, 12:46 pm

High upside? He's 28. He is who he is. What he's been is what we're getting. Nothing more.

Eveland and Teagarden aren't changing anyone's fortunes. Martin, Miclat and Henry are unlikely to either, but at least they're lotto tickets.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #12 by hsbaseballcoach » December 8th, 2011, 12:49 pm

I agree with ofahn....The Orioles have to take some risks and Eveland is a low risk. Martin has some upside, but who knows if he will ever pan out. Eveland will give us immediate starting depth, keep Johnson at the back end of the bullpen, while Martin might pan out as a good back end guy in 2-3 years. Worth the risk. Miclat is a utility guy at best and Henson fits the same mold as about 4 other guys in the system....
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #13 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 12:51 pm

A_K wrote:High upside? He's 28.

Eveland reminds me of Guthrie. A guy with talent but yet to put it all together. If he pitches to at least league average this year he will be worth in July at least what we paid for him and maybe much more. LHP don't grow on trees.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by hsbaseballcoach » December 8th, 2011, 12:52 pm

Eveland and Teargarden are upgrades over what was at the Major league level with (Tatum and the plethera of awful starting pitching with Bergesen, Tillman, Reyes, and who ever else you want to mention outside of Guthrie, Arrieta, and Britton....) The Os have to inch closer to .500 to keep or get fans back interested and attract free agents.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #15 by Tucker Blair » December 8th, 2011, 12:56 pm

ofahn wrote:
A_K wrote:High upside? He's 28.

Eveland reminds me of Guthrie. A guy with talent but yet to put it all together. If he pitches to at least league average this year he will be worth in July at least what we paid for him and maybe much more. LHP don't grow on trees.

Guthrie was a 1st round pick, and had shown flashes of brilliance in his career. He also left baseball for a year. I don't think you can really compare him to a guy like Eveland, who only throws around 88-91. I just think you are over-valuing Eveland a little bit.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles