Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Orioles Are In Talks To Acquire Taylor Teagarden

Re: The Orioles Are In Talks To Acquire Taylor Teagarden

PostPost #16 by birdwatcher55 » December 2nd, 2011, 7:21 am

I have no problem with this trade. I know he was on the Red Sox' wish list last year at this time when they were deciding whether or not to bring back Varitek. Could Henry develop and we rue the day we traded him?? Possibily, but we have made some nice strides of late to fix the bullpen 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #17 by Tucker Blair » December 2nd, 2011, 11:30 am

jonmorosi Jon Morosi
Source says PTBNL going from #Orioles to #Rangers will come from a list of four players who are Rule 5 eligible. Hence the delay.

Also previously noted by Don.
I really am not a fan of this trade at all as I mentioned before...
A backup catcher provides us with 0 more wins and is insurance at best. No need to give up legit prospects for that.

I have never seen Brian Ward play, but people keep saying he could do just as good of a job defensively...
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #18 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2011, 12:18 pm

What exactly do people think minor league relievers are worth?

Daniel Cabrera could touch 98 and we all know how that worked out.

It's not like they gave up someone with potential to be a solid major league starter they gave up someone who has potential to be a reliever.

They got their backup C for the next few years and he's a fine defensive player who has some power. I'm not saying I think it's a great trade or anything like that. I just don't see how people are labeling it as a fail or a bad trade.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #19 by Tucker Blair » December 2nd, 2011, 1:01 pm

Matt P wrote:What exactly do people think minor league relievers are worth?

It's not like they gave up someone with potential to be a solid major league starter they gave up someone who has potential to be a reliever.

They got their backup C for the next few years and he's a fine defensive player who has some power. I'm not saying I think it's a great trade or anything like that. I just don't see how people are labeling it as a fail or a bad trade.

Thats why I am saying I am not a fan of the trade. Realistically it probably is a non-factor trade. We shall see in a few years whether or not it will end up even mattering.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #20 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 2nd, 2011, 5:37 pm

Matt P wrote:What exactly do people think minor league relievers are worth?

It just does not make much sense to me to trade for a backup catcher, especially when you're giving up Henry.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #21 by A_K » December 2nd, 2011, 8:20 pm

The upside of a a-ball receiver, even one as well liked as Henry, may be pretty low, but it should go without saying that that's also the case for a 27-year-old backup catcher. Maybe Henry never makes the bigs. I'd still rather have the possibility of a late-inning reliever than the reality of a AAAA backup catcher.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #22 by Tucker Blair » December 3rd, 2011, 12:00 pm

Seems that Miclat is probably going to be the PTBNL in the Teagarden deal.

I'm not upset in losing him. I like Miclat but he needs to show a lot more. Saw him play a couple times in Bowie the past 2 seasons.

I still am not happy about losing Henry though.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #23 by Shorebirdfan » December 3rd, 2011, 11:34 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Seems that Miclat is probably going to be the PTBNL in the Teagarden deal.

I'm not upset in losing him. I like Miclat but he needs to show a lot more. Saw him play a couple times in Bowie the past 2 seasons.

I still am not happy about losing Henry though.

I've heard this Miclat thing a couple times, and I'm not sure where anyone is getting that from. Initial reports were that Texas originally asked for Miclat. So if the O's turned that down why would he become the PTBNL?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #24 by j.q. higgins » December 4th, 2011, 7:38 am

i believe it was initially reported that the rangers asked for miclat and bridwell, so it was probably brodwell that killed that deal.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #25 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Greg Miclat has been added as the PTNL in this trade. I saw Miclat as a potential utility infielder that could have been a late inning runner off of the bench. I'm sorry to see him go.

I think we gave up some talent for Teagarden and I hope he becomes a productive member of the team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #26 by Shorebirdfan » December 8th, 2011, 7:19 pm

ofahn wrote:Greg Miclat has been added as the PTNL in this trade. I saw Miclat as a potential utility infielder that could have been a late inning runner off of the bench. I'm sorry to see him go.

I think we gave up some talent for Teagarden and I hope he becomes a productive member of the team.

Couldn't have said it better. It was a bad deal when Henry was the only piece. Add in Miclat and now it is a terrible deal. Miclat will most likely never be more than a utility man, but he, like Angle, brings that speed and smarts on the base path. The O's simply do not have that. I guess adding depth in Antonelli pushed Greg one step further from the bigs. With the health questions surrounding Roberts, I just don't understand moving someone who is an injury or two away from getting a shot as your 2B. Oh well gotta go order some Rangers gear.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles