Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Yu Darvish Will Be Posted Thursday, December 8

Yu Darvish Will Be Posted Thursday, December 8

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 8th, 2011, 2:08 am

http://orioles-nation.com/blogs/baltimo ... -thursday/

Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish will be posted today, December 8th, according to Jon Morosi of Fox Sports.

Read some Darvish scouting and analysis from Don here: http://orioles-nation.com/2011/11/10/yu ... -contract/

Should the O's make a play?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Yu Darvish Will Be Posted Thursday, December 8

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » December 8th, 2011, 8:19 am

Most certainly BUT the cost will ultimately be too high. Some team is going to offer up to 50 million. If the Orioles were to sign him and Cespedes it could make the 2012 the team very interesting to watch though.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » December 8th, 2011, 9:44 am

I'd love him in Baltimore, but I realistically doubt they even attempt to win the bidding.
I would much rather go after an international talent like Cespedes honestly. I may be the minority there though after reading some of the forums opinions on Cespedes.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 9:47 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I'd love him in Baltimore, but I realistically doubt they even attempt to win the bidding.
I would much rather go after an international talent like Cespedes honestly. I may be the minority there though after reading some of the forums opinions on Cespedes.

I agree.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » December 8th, 2011, 7:13 pm

If you are going to invest this amount of money, it would have been better spent on Buerhle or Wilson.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:If you are going to invest this amount of money, it would have been better spent on Buerhle or Wilson.

I agree and that's with the belief that both of those contracts went at least a year too long.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » December 8th, 2011, 7:21 pm

I agree with that also. My feeling is you invest in proven talent and develop young inexpensive talent through your farm. This team has a knack for investing in talent 3-5 years too late, and moving the young talent just before it gets ready to be given their shot.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #8 by Don » December 8th, 2011, 8:56 pm

I will not blow smoke up your rear end. I highly doubt Darvish is in Orange and Black in April.

I know the Orioles have interest in both, but money, demand, and realistic pecking order make it a long shot that either Fielder or Darvish would be in the Orioles stockings this holiday season.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » December 12th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Beware of another Dice K :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » December 12th, 2011, 7:30 pm

Don wrote:I will not blow smoke up your rear end. I highly doubt Darvish is in Orange and Black in April.

I know the Orioles have interest in both, but money, demand, and realistic pecking order make it a long shot that either Fielder or Darvish would be in the Orioles stockings this holiday season.

I agree on Darvish but we have the coin to sign Fielder
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by ofahn » December 16th, 2011, 1:53 pm

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that the Blue Jays may have bid* as much as 50M for the rights to sign Yu Darvish. I wonder if they're really serious about signing him for another 50 to 75M or whether they made such a high bid to keep the Yankees from being able to sign him. If the Jays block the Yanks and don't sign Darvish they're not out any money. This allows them to take a hard line approach on the actual contract and still come out a winner if they don't sign Darvish.

What do you think?

*FYI - Bidding on the rights to sign a Japanese player is called "posting". The winning team does not have to pay the Japanese team posting a player the winning fee unless or until the player actually signs with the American team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Rising O's » December 17th, 2011, 9:43 am

I am surprised it was Toronto with the insane bid but not at the size of the offer. Did the Orioles even place a bid?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #13 by j.q. higgins » December 17th, 2011, 10:24 am

it was reported that they did not.

i'm actually curious about aoki, though. apparently, a 2.5 mill bid was accepted and he is seen as a poor man's ichiro, but an absolute bargain at that price.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #14 by Matt P » December 18th, 2011, 3:05 am

j.q. higgins wrote:it was reported that they did not.

i'm actually curious about aoki, though. apparently, a 2.5 mill bid was accepted and he is seen as a poor man's ichiro, but an absolute bargain at that price.

2.5 million just for the right to negotiate a contract for a 4th OF? That just seems ridiculous.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles