Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who is Your Orioles Sleeper for 2012?

Who is Your Orioles Sleeper for 2012?

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » December 2nd, 2011, 5:56 pm

What player on the Orioles do you think has a surprising season. I am talking about a season where he is not expected to put up the numbers he does. For example, Robert Andino or JJ Hardy would be good examples of sleepers for the 2011 season. Many people across the league probably did not expect the production output they had. I expect many will not have the same expectations for my sleeper as well besides Orioles fans (many, not all).

My sleeper for 2012:

Nolan Reimold

I think this is the year that Reimold finally gets the full playing time he deserves. I would not be surprised if he put up a line of .270/.350/.450 with 20+ HR and a good BB/K ratio. This all depends on if he gets that playing time though.
However, with Luke Scott most likely getting non-tendered, one would expect him to have the LF job secure as of now.
The only stat that is interestingly low for Reimold during his career is his BABIP. He has a career .284 BABIP, which is relatively low in my opinion for his type of player. BUT he has a career .339 OBP. and a career .342 wOBA.

If you take out Reimold's lost 2010 season, his numbers would obviously look a lot better too.

Overall, I think this could be a good year for Reimold.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Who is Your Orioles Sleeper for 2012?

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » December 2nd, 2011, 5:59 pm

Another Note:

Bill James predicts him to have a .258/.341/.443 batting line with a .286 BABIP and .342 wOBA
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » December 2nd, 2011, 7:16 pm

This was a GREAT idea for a post. I wish I would have thought of it.

As soon as I read the headline I thought of Nolan and saw that you had already chosen him. Almost everyone else I think will have breakout years are more of a comeback candidate. I'll wait a few days and see if you post that question. If not, I'll do it myself.

FYI, I think Nolan will be good for 520 ABs, .285/.374/.510. It will be fun to watch.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by A_K » December 2nd, 2011, 8:10 pm

Damn, .372 OBP expectation for Nolan? That'd be pretty fantastic. I was pretty happy with James' .340 projection.

I think Arrieta will surprise people and have a solid, injury and demotion free season befitting an above average number 4 starter. Something like a 4.3 FIP for the year.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » December 3rd, 2011, 10:25 am

birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » December 3rd, 2011, 10:55 am

Matt Angle. I think his speed and defense will make him a regular at some point this season. As an everyday player he leads the AL in SB bringing a new dimension to the offense.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by osforlife » December 3rd, 2011, 1:10 pm

I wish i could say Ryan Adams. But I hear nothing about him on Orioles.com, Masnsports, or MLBTR. He would deffinitly hit enough to be a ML regular. I didn't see anything wrong with his defense. Many people will say if Adams gets the job at second then we don't have a leadoff hitter. Look at Nolan Reimold. Hustles on every play, has speed to steal 20 bases, draws walks, fair average.
Reimold, Markakis, Jones, Davis, Hardy, Wieters, Reynolds, Adams. Then, either have a rotating DH of bench players or resign Scott to a MUCH lower price.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by dan72 » December 4th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Matusz. I think he will come into spring training in better shape, and stay healthy all year. If he can go 15-10 with a low 4 ERA I think we will all be happy. He like the rest of our starters must eliminate walks/ base on balls. They almost always come back to haunt you.
I saw this kid dominate a and double a ball, when healthy he has good stuff and keeps hitters of balance. He could be comeback POY.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by Matt P » December 5th, 2011, 12:54 am

James' projections are usually pretty generous aren't they?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » December 7th, 2011, 12:27 pm

osforlife wrote:I wish i could say Ryan Adams. But I hear nothing about him on Orioles.com, Masnsports, or MLBTR. He would deffinitly hit enough to be a ML regular. I didn't see anything wrong with his defense. Many people will say if Adams gets the job at second then we don't have a leadoff hitter. Look at Nolan Reimold. Hustles on every play, has speed to steal 20 bases, draws walks, fair average.
Reimold, Markakis, Jones, Davis, Hardy, Wieters, Reynolds, Adams. Then, either have a rotating DH of bench players or resign Scott to a MUCH lower price.

What do your eyes tell you about Adams?? Mine say he's going to be a player. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » December 7th, 2011, 12:28 pm

Nice choice. I just hope he hits more 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by osforlife » December 7th, 2011, 3:11 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I just hope he hits more

I have no doubt he can hit at the ML level. The knock on him was his defense. But i didn't see anything wrong with that in the games he played up here.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » December 8th, 2011, 8:53 am

Darren O'Day
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Return to Baltimore Orioles