Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What do we do with Josh Bell in 2011?

What do we do with Josh Bell in 2011?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 16th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Bell's current stat line includes a 50/2 K/BB ratio and a .539 OPS. Do we let him open 2011 at 3B or should we look into a free agent 3B option?

If I'm the Orioles, I send Bell back to Norfolk and resign Wigginton to a one year contract to hold down 3B for at least the first half of the season. Hopefully Wigginton produces like he did last year and the Orioles flip him for something before the deadline.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: What do we do with Josh Bell in 2011?

PostPost #2 by allstar1579 » September 16th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Jordan wrote:Bell's current stat line includes a 50/2 K/BB ratio and a .539 OPS. Do we let him open 2011 at 3B or should we look into a free agent 3B option?

If I'm the Orioles, I send Bell back to Norfolk and resign Wigginton to a one year contract to hold down 3B for at least the first half of the season. Hopefully Wigginton produces like he did last year and the Orioles flip him for something before the deadline.

He wasn't ready, and he still can't hit from the RH side. He's better than we've seen, but he's still overmatched right now.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by DougDE » September 17th, 2010, 3:49 am

What does everyone think of Beltre? I know he'd be expensive but it aint my money and Ive been warming to the idea of signing him recently.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by allstar1579 » September 17th, 2010, 8:04 pm

DougDE wrote:What does everyone think of Beltre? I know he'd be expensive but it aint my money and Ive been warming to the idea of signing him recently.

Too expensive, and doesn't play well when not in a contract year. Not quite the Albert Haynesworth of baseball, but one could build a category in baseball with him in it.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 1:12 am

He looks so damn uncomfortable at the plate. To quote him (from Britt Ghiroli):

"I have not felt comfortable once since I've been here," Bell said of his first taste of the Major Leagues. "I've had good games but not on a consistent basis, not where I want it to be. [I'm] still trying to find my swing."

I personally see him as a bust. Yes, he's young. So bash me for calling it off so soon even after only this short stint up in the bigs. But he just doesn't look like a guy who can cut it.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Gregemb » September 18th, 2010, 6:46 am

If I'm the Orioles, I cannot just hand Josh Bell the starting third base job in 2011, he'll have to earn it. He's been better than I thought he would be defensively, showing decent range, even with his erratic arm, but worse offensively. His first order of businees this off-season should be getting in better shape. He looks a little heavier than he should be, and a sleeker physique should improve his mobility. The O's should acquire someone who could at least challenge Bell at third base, and if the opportunity presents itself, get someone who will start at third full time next year while Bell refines his game in the minors.
Gregemb
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by allstar1579 » September 18th, 2010, 10:49 am

He needs to focus on hitting from the LH side and give up switch hitting, then he can spend the time he wastes on that focusing on his defense, which he's always had to work on.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Gregemb wrote:If I'm the Orioles, I cannot just hand Josh Bell the starting third base job in 2011, he'll have to earn it. He's been better than I thought he would be defensively, showing decent range, even with his erratic arm, but worse offensively. His first order of businees this off-season should be getting in better shape. He looks a little heavier than he should be, and a sleeker physique should improve his mobility. The O's should acquire someone who could at least challenge Bell at third base, and if the opportunity presents itself, get someone who will start at third full time next year while Bell refines his game in the minors.

I have talked with some people about his size, and others agree that yes, he looks a little on the big side. That, or his clothes are quite baggy. His defense, IMO, has been a heck of a lot better than his offense. They are starting Andino AGAIN at 3rd tonight. Wonder if that's a sign of anything, or if they are just adding to his versatility as a utility guy.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 18th, 2010, 5:24 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:
Gregemb wrote:If I'm the Orioles, I cannot just hand Josh Bell the starting third base job in 2011, he'll have to earn it. He's been better than I thought he would be defensively, showing decent range, even with his erratic arm, but worse offensively. His first order of businees this off-season should be getting in better shape. He looks a little heavier than he should be, and a sleeker physique should improve his mobility. The O's should acquire someone who could at least challenge Bell at third base, and if the opportunity presents itself, get someone who will start at third full time next year while Bell refines his game in the minors.

I have talked with some people about his size, and others agree that yes, he looks a little on the big side. That, or his clothes are quite baggy. His defense, IMO, has been a heck of a lot better than his offense. They are starting Andino AGAIN at 3rd tonight. Wonder if that's a sign of anything, or if they are just adding to his versatility as a utility guy.

Andino will not be able to handle third for an extended period of time. If we're going to keep Bell down in AAA for a while, I'd resign Wiggy.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 5:31 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:

Andino will not be able to handle third for an extended period of time. If we're going to keep Bell down in AAA for a while, I'd resign Wiggy.

Andino I think is only playing there for his versatility expansion. No thoughts of a permanent position, I don't believe.

And Wiggy, okay. But why not look for a big bat there? Aka trade for Valencia (I wish).
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 18th, 2010, 5:52 pm

Who would we trade for? Please be realistic. Maybe Mark Reynolds? Can't really think of any good 3B that would be on the market. Then again the market is unpredictable. And judging by the FA class, our best options are Inge, Wiggy, or Juan Uribe. Red Sox probably aren't getting rid of Beltre, they'll gladly exercise that option.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by allstar1579 » September 18th, 2010, 7:22 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:Who would we trade for? Please be realistic. Maybe Mark Reynolds? Can't really think of any good 3B that would be on the market. Then again the market is unpredictable. And judging by the FA class, our best options are Inge, Wiggy, or Juan Uribe. Red Sox probably aren't getting rid of Beltre, they'll gladly exercise that option.

Our options are internal right now. Would have been nice to make a Luke Scott/D. Viciedo deal but c'est la vie.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by cubscoutsrock54 » September 18th, 2010, 7:34 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:Andino I think is only playing there for his versatility expansion. No thoughts of a permanent position, I don't believe.

And Wiggy, okay. But why not look for a big bat there? Aka trade for Valencia (I wish).

As in Danny Valencia of the Twins? While it's true his K% and BB% are better than Josh Bell's, his OBP is still only 41 points better than his BA, which shows he also has some work to do in regards to plate discipline (Josh just has a lot more work to do, lol). He also has a .379 BABIP helping him out in his 261 PA's this season-- he's certainly due for a sophomore slump/ regression. This season he also has the same number of HR's in about twice the PA's, although his ISO is higher than Bell's, so it's difficult to judge which has more power.

So although Bell has struggled mightily this year, I think he just needs some more seasoning. He's stated this year that he's not comfortable in the big leagues, so he ought to be sent back to AAA. In the meantime, there are some (not-so great) FA options for 3B to spell the O's in the meantime.
cubscoutsrock54
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by allstar1579 » September 18th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Keep Kevin Kouzmanoff in mind for potential 3B solutions. He may get non-tendered by the A's and has avg. around .255 with 18 HR the past 3 years, decent production, better defensively than Wiggy and should cost about the same thing.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 18th, 2010, 9:14 pm

allstar1579 wrote:Keep Kevin Kouzmanoff in mind for potential 3B solutions. He may get non-tendered by the A's and has avg. around .255 with 18 HR the past 3 years, decent production, better defensively than Wiggy and should cost about the same thing.

Yup I'd like him in an O's uniform.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles