Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

Re: Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

PostPost #136 by Tucker Blair » December 6th, 2011, 4:13 pm

jonmorosi Jon Morosi
#Orioles telling teams that Adam Jones is off limits.

that was quick
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #137 by ofahn » December 6th, 2011, 4:32 pm

I would like to add one more trade possibility. Before you fit me for a padded room, please hear me out.

Let's suppose the Nationals leave Dallas without a CF and a SP. That's not a stretch because the best CF that may be available is Jones and none of the free agent SPs available are as good as Strasburg or Jordan Zimmerman whom are already on their roster. National's GM Mike Rizzo looks at his roster and decides that upgrading SS, CF and adding a solid SP makes his team at least one of the two wildcards. Where does he get those three players?

He has a solid farm system but it won't give him what he needs in 2012 and maybe not in 2013 either. He can afford to trade some of his better pitching prospects because he drafted high ceiling college pitchers this year that may be ML ready by late 2012. How does he convert those trade chips into the post season in 2012?

He trades Bryce Harper (listen to my reasoning before you spit out your energy drink), RHP Brad Peacock, RHP A.J. Cole, LHP Sammy Solis, and 2B/SS Steve Lombardozzi to the Orioles for CF Adam Jones, SS JJ Hardy, and SP Jeremy Guthrie.

This trade makes sense for both teams. The Nationals go to the playoffs right now and control Jones and Hardy through 2013. Guthrie is a free agent after the season but the Nats would probably earn a draft pick for him if he left. Their scouting department knows what to do with those high picks. Bryce Harper is absolutely a major talent but he won't get Washington to the promised land by himself and he's a LF; a position that is much easier to fill than CF. Besides that, Mike Morse would move back to LF when Rendon takes over 1B. The combined upgrade of Hardy at SS, Jones in CF, and Morse's contribution in LF would be much more than the upgrade of Harper in LF when he starts making a consistent contribution in 2013 or so.

The Orioles benefit by having a solid SP candidate (Peacock) and middle infielder (Lombardozzi) for 2012, two more candidates (Solis and Harper) to join the advanced elements of The Cavalry: The Sequel scheduled to arrive in 2013, and Cole should be part of the Class of 2014 which will probably include both Bundys, Machado, and Schoop. Harper would give us the legitimate power prospect this team so desperately needs.

An added benefit for Washington is that they add the players they need without committing to expense and risky long term contracts which would give them the money and prospects they might need to acquire any last piece they feel they need next July.

It would take courage on the part of both GMs to make a trade like this but it's how each team can build a winner.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #138 by Shorebirdfan » December 6th, 2011, 9:27 pm

I do not disagree with your thinking at all. I've said for a long time that the Nats are the best trading partner for Jones and Cole would be at the top of the list of what I want in return.

I actually spit out Pepsi whne I saw Harper's name included and have to simply say...NO WAY the Nats part with Harper. Like starting Tebow at QB, no team should make decisions based solely on what the fan base wants, but the uproar of moving this kid would be more than ANY GM wants. Simplify your deal, Jones for Cole and Robbie Ray or if possible Drew Storen and be done with it.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #139 by Shorebirdfan » December 6th, 2011, 9:28 pm

And Ofahn, just so you know, the nice men with the little white coats should be knocking on your door shortly.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #140 by ofahn » December 6th, 2011, 9:52 pm

I hope they won't interrupt the conversation I will be having with myself.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #141 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 6th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Angel Pagan has just been dealt to the Giants for Torres and R. Ramirez. I guess we can cross the Giants off the list.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #142 by ofahn » December 6th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:NO WAY the Nats part with Harper. Like starting Tebow at QB, no team should make decisions based solely on what the fan base wants, but the uproar of moving this kid would be more than ANY GM wants.

There's no question that my suggestion is outside of the box but that's how you achieve results.

Trading Bryce Harper would require a lot of guts and would cause an uproar with Washington fans.....right up until the national sportswriters start declaring that Mike Rizzo is a "genius" and that the Nats are a lock for the playoffs. Look at it from this perspective, if we had the same level of ML talent as Washington and an equally well stocked farm system, and trading Matt Wieters when he was at AA would put us in the playoffs there would be plenty of Orioles' fans that would say MAKE THE TRADE.

The Nationals drafted Harper to become a winner. He can make that happen for them by becoming a building block of another team.
Last edited by ofahn on December 6th, 2011, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #143 by ofahn » December 6th, 2011, 10:29 pm

Jordan wrote:I guess we can cross the Giants off the list.

I had crossed them off the list when they made the trade with KC.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #144 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 7th, 2011, 9:54 pm

https://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenESPNxm/ ... 8599881728

Mike Rizzo just told us @mlbnetworkradio that they've done their homework on Adam Jones CF of the O's and definitely have interest
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #145 by ofahn » December 8th, 2011, 11:17 am

The Nationals have lost out on Wilson and Buerhle and may very well leave Dallas with nothing crossed out on their wish list. Call me crazy (OK, OK, not all at once) but if the Nats want to be a player this year we have the solution. Maybe it will be an early Christmas for both teams.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #146 by ofahn » December 22nd, 2011, 11:02 am

MLB Trade Rumors Ben Nicholson-Smith is reporting that the Orioles and Braves did discuss an Adam Jones for young ML ready pitching trade. I see this as very good news in that it sounds like the team is open to making the right rebuilding move if it presents itself, and we have established what we see as Jones' market value.

Frankly, I don't see Atlanta as our most compatible trading partner. While they have young quality pitching in their system, they don't have an excess and they have shown a historical reluctance to trade it. The Nationals; however, have exactly what we need and have enough surplus to make a trade. Now, if we just can set up a blind date between Mike Rizzo and Dan Duquette......................................

The Braves and Orioles discussed a possible Adam Jones trade recently, but talks didn’t progress far, ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reports (Twitter links). The Orioles wanted at least two of Brandon Beachy, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Arodys Vizcaino and Randall Delgado and the Braves weren’t interested, Crasnick writes.

Conflicting reports about the Braves’ interest level in Jones emerged yesterday, but it appears some preliminary discussions occurred. Orioles GM Dan Duquette joined Jim Bowden and Casey Stern on MLB Network Radio this week and explained that the Orioles are trying to "build around" Jones. "When you have some good players, other teams are interested," he said. "We're not marketing Adam Jones." However, he stopped short of guaranteeing that Jones would stay put.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #147 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 22nd, 2011, 2:26 pm

I would take Jurjens, Prado and Teheran in a heartbeat... or just two of the prospects like Teheran and Minor.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #148 by ofahn » December 22nd, 2011, 2:58 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I would take Jurjens, Prado and Teheran in a heartbeat... or just two of the prospects like Teheran and Minor.

I'd take Minor and Teheran too, but the Braves don't want to make that trade. I think that Duquette is making a mistake in not openly marketing Jones. Doing so can only drive up his market value, Even if we don't trade him it will give Jones an incentive to play harder. That approach worked very well with Upton in AZ and you saw the numbers he put up this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #149 by Tucker Blair » December 22nd, 2011, 3:54 pm

I think Teheran and Minor are the types of players the Orioles NEED to trade Jones for. I am not saying that the Braves would even do that trade (they would be stupid), but the Orioles should not settle for anything less than that imo. Even a package of Minor and Arodys Vizcaino/Randall Delgado would be OK with me, although I read that Delgado could be in line for a future move to the pen
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #150 by ofahn » December 22nd, 2011, 4:17 pm

@#%&*#@*&@#*&%#@!!!!!!!

The Nats just traded Cole and Peacock as part of a package for Gio Gonzales. We didn't move quickly on Derek Lowe and now we've missed out on two quality prospects. Just once I'd like to see us out in front of one of these deals.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles