Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"Orioles interest in Prince Fielder is Angelos secret mandate"

Re: "Orioles interest in Prince Fielder is Angelos secret mandate"

PostPost #16 by Matt P » December 5th, 2011, 6:20 pm

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:If they sign Fielder this off season and sign a true #1 pitcher next off season the team could actually be competitive for a very long time as long as they are able to extend Jones and Wieters.

The question stands. How would those signings fill the holes at 2B, 3B, LF, RP, and the other two holes at SP?

They probably aren't going to be competitive next season either way so I would just play next season with what they have. A final audition of sorts for Andino, Reynolds, Reimold, Davis, Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Tillman, and Hunter.
Last edited by Matt P on December 5th, 2011, 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Matt P wrote:They probably aren't going to be competitive next season either way so I would just play next season with what they have. A final audition of sorts for Andino, Reynolds, Reimold, Davis, Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Tillman, and Hunter.

OK. Let's say that half of those players prove to be nuggets. How do Fielder and a "true #1 pitcher" (that won't be available on the market) fill the rest of those holes?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Matt P » December 5th, 2011, 6:27 pm

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:They probably aren't going to be competitive next season either way so I would just play next season with what they have. A final audition of sorts for Andino, Reynolds, Reimold, Davis, Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Tillman, and Hunter.

OK. Let's say that half of those players prove to be nuggets. How do Fielder and a "true #1 pitcher" (that won't be available on the market) fill the rest of those holes?

After next season depending on who pans out some of those problems are fixed or close to being fixed.

2B - I think with another full season of starting Andino will only improve. Even if he stays the same he would be alright batting 9th in the lineup every night as long as he improves his defense at 2B (which is already alright). Schoop will be a year closer after next season and Andino would be a bridge to him.

3B - Reynolds needs to improve his defense, no doubt about it. If he improves his defense and his offense stays around the same you look at possibly extending him for another 3 or 4 years. If he doesn't bounce back next season you say goodbye. Machado will be a year closer to the majors and only one man can start at SS when Machado is ready. He or JJ can move to 3B if Reynolds fails or leaves the organization.

LF - It's time to give Reimold a full season and see what he can do. If he fails there are always OF available.

SP - #1 FA starter, Guthrie, and then you have 3 spots available for Arrieta/Britton/Matusz/Hunter/Tillman with the Bundy brothers waiting in the minors. For the pitchers that don't land a starting spot you move them to the bullpen. That solves your bullpen problem as well.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Matt P wrote:After next season depending on who pans out some of those problems are fixed or close to being fixed.

2B - I think with another full season of starting Andino will only improve. Even if he stays the same he would be alright batting 9th in the lineup every night as long as he improves his defense at 2B (which is already alright). Schoop will be a year closer after next season and Andino would be a bridge to him.

3B - Reynolds needs to improve his defense, no doubt about it. If he improves his defense and his offense stays around the same you look at possibly extending him for another 3 or 4 years. If he doesn't bounce back next season you say goodbye. Machado will be a year closer to the majors and only one man can start at SS when Machado is ready. He or JJ can move to 3B if Reynolds fails or leaves the organization.

LF - It's time to give Reimold a full season and see what he can do. If he fails there are always OF available.

SP - #1 FA starter, Guthrie, and then you have 3 spots available for Arrieta/Britton/Matusz/Hunter/Tillman with the Bundy brothers waiting in the minors. For the pitchers that don't land a starting spot you move them to the bullpen. That solves your bullpen problem as well.

With all due respect, you're not counting on the fruits of our farm system, you're counting on Santa Claus filling your wish list.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by Matt P » December 5th, 2011, 6:50 pm

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:After next season depending on who pans out some of those problems are fixed or close to being fixed.

With all due respect, you're not counting on the fruits of our farm system, you're counting on Santa Claus filling your wish list.

How so? It's not like I'm betting on all of them panning out. I'm betting on Schoop and Machado panning out with at least 3 of the young pitchers panning out.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Many talent evaluators would say that your faith in Andino becoming an above average regular and Reynolds an above average defender is a bit misplaced.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by Matt P » December 5th, 2011, 6:54 pm

Where did I ever say anything about Andino becoming an above average regular and Reynolds an above average defender?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 5th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Roberts (10mil/yr?) will be off the books soon and a few years after that Markakis (15mil/yr?) will be off as well so the money for Fielder wouldn't bother me that much. He certainly wouldn't help fill the other needs the Orioles have and his defense is a big negative but if they can afford him while continuing the rebuilding I wouldn't be too upset about it.

It would be nice to have a big bat to anchor the lineup, but Prince's inconsistency scares me. He was great last year but what about his 2010 and 2008 seasons? Those years would make me hesitate...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #24 by LA Detective » December 5th, 2011, 7:25 pm

If there was a ACE out there then I would want us going after him instead. There is not..And not really good fits for us otherwise. Fielder is a young allstar player that because of the DH he should have no problem delivering an All Star bat the next 7 years or so. We need a star 1b to compete in this division and who hits cleanup...GO GET HIM!!!

Signing him would clear that hole but would allow us to get Defensive minded at 3b,Lf and 2b...Angle, Roberts, Markakis, Fielder, Jones, Weiters, Hardy, Remold-DH, and a great defensive 3b (P.Palanco maybe)....Angle might need a platoon partner, Roberts will need a backkup..Suddenly we go from one of the worst rated defensive teams to a pretty good one. The SP will automatically improve on that alone. Plus Fielder would give us flexability to trade an AJones for a pitcher if believed to be best move..I would trade Reynolds and let Davis be the bench back up at 3b/1b and do some PH, which we might need.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #25 by Why Not? » December 5th, 2011, 7:26 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I think Reynolds at 3B next season is fine. I really think his Defense is fixable with some hard work, coaching, and a little mechanics change

I think it's fixable (or at least improvable) as well. I guess it depends on the problem. I never heard any specific diagnosis as to what his issue was. But I don't think we can go into opening day with him at 3B while crossing our fingers that he'll improve. His defense all but erased any value his power provided in 2011.
Why Not?
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #26 by Tucker Blair » December 5th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Why Not? wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:I think Reynolds at 3B next season is fine. I really think his Defense is fixable with some hard work, coaching, and a little mechanics change

I think it's fixable (or at least improvable) as well. I guess it depends on the problem. I never heard any specific diagnosis as to what his issue was. But I don't think we can go into opening day with him at 3B while crossing our fingers that he'll improve. His defense all but erased any value his power provided in 2011.

I wouldn't say all but erased, but it didn't provide the asset we intended to get. I personally think his defensive problems is one of the most over-blown things that Orioles fans talk about. It really is not even a top 10 reason to me why we were not good last season. He would be the least of my worries at 3rd if I ran this team.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #27 by Don » December 5th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Prince Fielder is going to command $22-$24 million per year and on top of that the Orioles would have to sign two starting pitchers or trade the farm for them. You do not want to go two years and eat $50 million to play .500 ball until Bundy's and Bridwell made a impact of the next wave of prospects.

I would not really buy this at all. Do not set your bar high thinking about the chance to land him. If it happens, great, but I would not play the what if game at this time.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #28 by Tucker Blair » December 5th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Don wrote:Prince Fielder is going to command $22-$24 million per year and on top of that the Orioles would have to sign two starting pitchers or trade the farm for them. You do not want to go two years and eat $50 million to play .500 ball until Bundy's and Bridwell made a impact of the next wave of prospects.

I would not really buy this at all. Do not set your bar high thinking about the chance to land him. If it happens, great, but I would not play the what if game at this time.

Well said.
I think realistically this is a ploy if anything. But it is always fun to dream.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #29 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Matt P wrote:Where did I ever say anything about Andino becoming an above average regular and Reynolds an above average defender?

2B - I think with another full season of starting Andino will only improve. Even if he stays the same he would be alright batting 9th in the lineup every night as long as he improves his defense at 2B (which is already alright).

3B - Reynolds needs to improve his defense, no doubt about it. If he improves his defense and his offense stays around the same you look at possibly extending him for another 3 or 4 years.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by Matt P » December 5th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Not once, in either of those comments, did I once mention anything about Andino or Reynolds being above average at anything.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles