Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"Orioles interest in Prince Fielder is Angelos secret mandate"

"Orioles interest in Prince Fielder is Angelos secret mandate"

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 5th, 2011, 12:59 pm

https://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/sta ... 5326853120

Hearing #orioles interest in fielder is angelos secret mandate. But buck llikes him and duke isn't afraid of big stars/contracts
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: "Orioles interest in Prince Fielder is Angelos secret mandate"

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » December 5th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Let the fun begin...

This is such an Angelos thing, so can't say I am surprised in any aspect.
Let's remember that Duquette has given out huge contracts before. (Manny $160m).
I highly doubt the Orioles get Fielder regardless. This could simply be a ploy.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Why Not? » December 5th, 2011, 1:17 pm

I agree Fielder is a long shot, but I guess it's good to know they are even considering an offer.

I'm not sure I grasp the meaning of a "secret mandate"
Why Not?
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 1:21 pm

There are just SO many ways this money could be better spent.

• Take a few risks in the international market including Cespedes
• Build a scouting and development program second to none
• Spend the max on Rule 4 draft picks and international signings covered by the new CBA
• Use the newly improved scouting department and find prospects deemed worthy of spending the 100K limit in rounds 11 through 40
• Sign some high risk high reward starting pitchers (Maholm, Bedard, Duke, etc) for around 1M base plus incentives with the knowledge that the team might eat some of that money

Sure, Prince Fielder would be fun to watch but he causes more problems than he solves. He can't play 2B, 3B, LF nor can he start or relieve. If you sign Fielder what do you do with Mark Reynolds, put him back at 3B? Then you have two average or worse defenders at the corners.

If the pitching had matured and we had won 85 games last year I would be driving the Prince Bus. My recommendation this year is that we pass this stop by.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » December 5th, 2011, 1:36 pm

I agree with pretty much everything you said Ofahn . But there are 2 things that get me thinking:

1. Is there going to be any big impact bats in the next off-season or two? Fielder is that impact bat and what if the Orioles young starters (Arrieta, Britton, Matusz, maybe Tillman) really turn on the lights and are productive enough to make this team compete. Fielder would then be just what the Orioles needed.

2. If the Orioles DID sign Fielder and then they went after a SP via FA or Trade, they could be significantly improved.

I am really just playing Devil's Advocate with you, as I also think the Orioles have more problems that Fielder simply cannot address. But you never know what will happen with the young SP.

All I can say is, Angelos is going to be Angelos and I don't think he will ever change.

Also the Orioles could technically sign Fielder and STILL do all the little things they need to improve (Not saying they would actually follow through with that though)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 2:27 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Also the Orioles could technically sign Fielder and STILL do all the little things they need to improve (Not saying they would actually follow through with that though)

IF and I mean big IF Angelos was willing to pony up for Fielder and still PROPERLY finance the rebuilding of this organization then I would help carry Fielder's bags into the clubhouse. It's that IF that has me so worried.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » December 5th, 2011, 2:38 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Also the Orioles could technically sign Fielder and STILL do all the little things they need to improve (Not saying they would actually follow through with that though)

IF and I mean big IF Angelos was willing to pony up for Fielder and still PROPERLY finance the rebuilding of this organization then I would help carry Fielder's bags into the clubhouse. It's that IF that has me so worried.

Totally agree. It's tough to really get a feeling on what he will allow with this club still. It's just frustrating to not know.
Hopefully by now he realizes they need to do that stuff, but as of now I doubt it.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by Why Not? » December 5th, 2011, 2:39 pm

ofahn wrote:
Sure, Prince Fielder would be fun to watch but he causes more problems than he solves. He can't play 2B, 3B, LF nor can he start or relieve. If you sign Fielder what do you do with Mark Reynolds, put him back at 3B? Then you have two average or worse defenders at the corners.

If the pitching had matured and we had won 85 games last year I would be driving the Prince Bus. My recommendation this year is that we pass this stop by.

I think Reynolds slides to DH or could be shopped for pitching.

Reynolds back at 3B is alarming. His defense went from poor to abysmal last year and it's hard to understand why. It's not age, it's not that he's fat and slow. Is there any chance that some coaching up could make Reynolds playable there again? Is it possible it was a slump?
Why Not?
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » December 5th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Why Not? wrote:
ofahn wrote:

I think Reynolds slides to DH or could be shopped for pitching.

Reynolds back at 3B is alarming. His defense went from poor to abysmal last year and it's hard to understand why. It's not age, it's not that he's fat and slow. Is there any chance that some coaching up could make Reynolds playable there again? Is it possible it was a slump?

I think Reynolds at 3B next season is fine. I really think his Defense is fixable with some hard work, coaching, and a little mechanics change
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Why Not? wrote:I think Reynolds slides to DH

Reynolds has already gone on record that he doesn't want to DH and that such a move could "hurt" his production. I'm guessing that what he's worried about hurting is market value. Power hitting 1B or 3B are worth a lot more than DHs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by mthompson » December 5th, 2011, 5:25 pm

I am so sick of anyone that thinks going after one of the best players in baseball is a bad idea. Prince is a proven player and the money that he would get would be worth it and make us credible for free agents for years to come. If case everyone has not noticed, these 1-2 filler players that are past their prime do not woioles to be work!!! We have the money and this town needs the Orioles to be competative or we will lose a another generation of fans. Angelos has the money and this town has the love for the team to show up if we get a reason to. W e can sustain a 100 mill+ payroll,.

Prince contract: 6 years 140 million is reasonable enough considering what else we have put our money into.

vlad-8 million
roberts- 4y 40 mill
gregg- 2y 12 mill
gonzalez-2y 12 mill

that is 30 million last year that we got next to nothing out of

Put your money into proven commodity. Hes is a top 5 power hitter in the game and will pepper the warehouse.
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #12 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 5:30 pm

mthompson wrote:I am so sick of anyone that thinks going after one of the best players in baseball is a bad idea. Prince is a proven player and the money that he would get would be worth it and make us credible for free agents for years to come. If case everyone has not noticed, these 1-2 filler players that are past their prime do not woioles to be work!!! We have the money and this town needs the Orioles to be competative or we will lose a another generation of fans. Angelos has the money and this town has the love for the team to show up if we get a reason to. W e can sustain a 100 mill+ payroll,.

Prince contract: 6 years 140 million is reasonable enough considering what else we have put our money into.

vlad-8 million
roberts- 4y 40 mill
gregg- 2y 12 mill
gonzalez-2y 12 mill

that is 30 million last year that we got next to nothing out of

Put your money into proven commodity. Hes is a top 5 power hitter in the game and will pepper the warehouse.

......and all of this solves the question of filling the holes at 2B, 3B, LF, SP, and RP how?
Last edited by ofahn on December 5th, 2011, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » December 5th, 2011, 5:31 pm

mthompson wrote:Prince contract: 6 years 140 million is reasonable enough considering what else we have put our money into..

he will take a lot more than that to sign
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #14 by Matt P » December 5th, 2011, 5:53 pm

If they sign Fielder this off season and sign a true #1 pitcher next off season the team could actually be competitive for a very long time as long as they are able to extend Jones and Wieters.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #15 by ofahn » December 5th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Matt P wrote:If they sign Fielder this off season and sign a true #1 pitcher next off season the team could actually be competitive for a very long time as long as they are able to extend Jones and Wieters.

The question stands. How would those signings fill the holes at 2B, 3B, LF, RP, and the other two holes at SP?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles