Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Fireworks for ARoids?

Fireworks for ARoids?

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 1:34 am

Seriously. ARoids hit a huge HR off of Kevin Millwood in the 2nd inning of last night's game to give the Yankees a 1-0 lead, and the fireworks in CF (set up for the show post-game) were set off, seemingly honoring him. While they do this for Orioles HRs all the time on the Fridays with the fireworks postgame, never before have I seen/heard of it being done for the opposing team, let alone the Yankees.

Kevin Millwood looked ticked off when they show him pacing the mound while Alex rounded the bases, and you can obviously see him looking at them when MASN flashes the view of him. In his presser post-game, he even brought it up twice himself, obviously perturbed by this.

Interview is found here: http://www.masnsports.com/index_medialo ... =418268&p=
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Fireworks for ARoids?

PostPost #2 by DougDE » September 18th, 2010, 3:16 am

What?! I was listening on the radio and was unaware of this. That is a disgrace!
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by Gregemb » September 18th, 2010, 6:16 am

I would have to think this was some kind of mistake. I can't believe the Orioles would intentionally set off fireworks for an opposing team's home run. It would be nice if they addressed the situation instead of leaving everyone in the dark.
Gregemb
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 18th, 2010, 9:56 am

Gregemb wrote:I would have to think this was some kind of mistake. I can't believe the Orioles would intentionally set off fireworks for an opposing team's home run. It would be nice if they addressed the situation instead of leaving everyone in the dark.

Wasn't watching at the time but saw the highlights on my iPhone. Definitely a mistake.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by GeorgeD4 » September 18th, 2010, 10:12 am

Brutal. Just brutal. I don't understand how this could possibly happen. I really don't.
GeorgeD4
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 2:36 pm

Here is what Roch had to say about it in his blog post this morning:

About those fireworks...as I explained to a few readers last night, one was shot off accidentally after Alex Rodriguez's first home run. Kevin Millwood referenced it twice in his post-game comments. He wasn't happy about it. He wasn't asked about it, but he brought it up. Twice.

It happened quickly, just one short burst, and it was cringe-worthy (hold the jokes.) The company that set off the fireworks after the game apparently messed up. Pure and simple. It certainly wasn't a directive from the Orioles, and I can't believe that some people think otherwise. As if they'd want to celebrate an A-Rod home run at Camden Yards to make Yankee fans feel at home.

Has our cynicism really taken us down this path?

The fireworks also went off after Adam Jones' home run, which is supposed to happen, but not until he reached the dugout steps. That was almost as strange - as if the person responsible was paranoid about screwing up again.

I say almost as strange. Nothing will top the bombs bursting in air for A-Rod.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 18th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Definitely a mistake. Whatever, it happens.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 5:24 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:Definitely a mistake. Whatever, it happens.

I guess, but there's not a worse time for that to happen. Hell, have it happen for Teixeira or Jeter, but just not ARoid. He is the one who pisses the world off the most.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 18th, 2010, 5:27 pm

I think everyone's making a federal case about this when there's no reason to.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 5:32 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:I think everyone's making a federal case about this when there's no reason to.

Because the fireworks for Arod were worse than the ball 2 call to him in the 9th.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 18th, 2010, 5:44 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:I think everyone's making a federal case about this when there's no reason to.

Because the fireworks for Arod were worse than the ball 2 call to him in the 9th.

WIN. But seriously, let's let it go. It happened, and nothing's going to change that. Accidents happen. There's always another night. Go O's!

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 11:13 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:

WIN. But seriously, let's let it go. It happened, and nothing's going to change that. Accidents happen. There's always another night. Go O's!

Luckily, I haven't seen any footage of it besides the slight sounds you hear in the background of the HR video. That, and I hope MASN destroys any other video evidence that it ever happened.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles