Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tillman

Tillman

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » November 27th, 2011, 5:25 pm

I honestly do not know what to think about him anymore. He is now 23, and really has not shown any form of prolonged success at the top level. Does he have any future with this club?

I also find it strange that the Orioles would consider trading him (as the rumors say apparently). If they would consider trading him, then perhaps he has not panned out how they expected and is never going to in their eyes.

He certainly has his work cut out for him, wherever he may be next year.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Tillman

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 27th, 2011, 5:37 pm

If you look at his minor league statistics he has shown he is not going to be a starter. A pitcher has to be efficient enough to get into the seventh inning or later consistently to be a successful starter and Tillman has always averaged under six innings.

I see him as a late guy in the bullpen and if he can improve his control he could be a closer.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Matt P » November 28th, 2011, 12:58 am

When he's on he arguably has the best stuff on the staff. He just can't put it all together for longer than a game or two.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by Don » November 28th, 2011, 1:24 pm

When he's on he arguably has the best stuff on the staff. He just can't put it all together for longer than a game or two.

I beg to differ.... He fails to gain movement on any of his pitches and this has been the knock on him for ages. He use to look better because the speed help to separate his pitches to make him effective. I have never been high on him as a starter because he failed to keep hitters off balanced and failed to keep hitters from squaring up on him.

He cannot live straight as an arrow....
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » November 28th, 2011, 2:20 pm

I would be totally shocked if Tillman was on this roster in April. :)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » November 28th, 2011, 2:26 pm

ofahn wrote:If you look at his minor league statistics he has shown he is not going to be a starter. A pitcher has to be efficient enough to get into the seventh inning or later consistently to be a successful starter and Tillman has always averaged under six innings.

I see him as a late guy in the bullpen and if he can improve his control he could be a closer.

The guy can barely break 90 mph. No way is he a closer. Combine that with his lack of control, I see him as nothing more than a AAAA type going forward. Good riddance really 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 28th, 2011, 2:38 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:The guy can barely break 90 mph. No way is he a closer.

Just like David Hernandez he will hit mid 90s in a short stint. Aside from his inability to get out of an inning in less than 20 pitches he has never been in proper shape. Get him condition and keep him to two innings or less and he might be productive.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » November 28th, 2011, 3:31 pm

ofahn wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:The guy can barely break 90 mph. No way is he a closer.

Just like David Hernandez he will hit mid 90s in a short stint. Aside from his inability to get out of an inning in less than 20 pitches he has never been in proper shape. Get him condition and keep him to two innings or less and he might be productive.

I don't think Tillman has hit 94-95 in two years. It's not likely to happen unless he gets the Colon Shot :)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by j.q. higgins » November 29th, 2011, 10:14 am

he was hitting 94 at the end of last year. in fact, in his second call up, i though he was showing velocity and movement he hadn't displayed in a while.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » November 29th, 2011, 11:31 pm

In fairness to David Hernandez he absolutely has a future in MLB. I wouldn't go so far as to say he had a brilliant season in AZ but it at least was productive.

I really think the problem exists withing the organization. Where? I have no clue what the cause is. However the ghastly year both Tillman and Matusz had tells me something is inherently wrong. I keep hoping that new EVP Dan Duquette cleans house and isolates every issue he can and resolve them.

On an unrelated note I hope Gary Rajsich is a brilliant guy that has all the resources he needs and Duquette trusts. I do really like the new bullpen coach Bill Castro hiring.

Finally, with Chris Tillman. It's the time to make a determination on his future with the Orioles. Either move him or fix him.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #11 by ofahn » November 29th, 2011, 11:51 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I hope Gary Rajsich is a brilliant guy that has all the resources he needs

When Peter Angelos authorizes Dan Duquette to spend the MAXIMUM allowed for the Rule 4 draft and international signings then we might see some improvement in our farm system.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » November 29th, 2011, 11:57 pm

I seriously doubt that Maximum will ever happen. Though I would bet that now with even the most passive fan beginning to realize that Free Agency isn't a cure all. That Peter Angelos increases the spending budget elsewhere. I really do not believe the man is a cheap skate. I just think he's misspent a fortune in the past on players that never worked out. The International market is interesting no doubt. I just keep praying that more is spent wisely on the annual draft. A team does not have to pick in the top ten to get good talent.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #13 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 1st, 2011, 1:04 am

j.q. higgins wrote:he was hitting 94 at the end of last year. in fact, in his second call up, i though he was showing velocity and movement he hadn't displayed in a while.

I second that, I saw it in his solid outing against Toronto and a day game against the Yanks where he struck out 4 of the first 6 batters and blew two fastballs by Texiera (but then proceeded to get pounded in the middle innings). Those were very encouraging signs to me that he does have talent, maybe if he gets in better shape and with a better approach he can have some more success. I think he should get one more shot this year, if it's more of the same then it's time to move on... Unless they feel like he has no chance at success in which case they should just take whatever they can get for him asap.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #14 by Minestrone » December 1st, 2011, 1:06 pm

In my opinion, I think Tillman still has a place in the organization; by no means is he a lost cause. He's only 23 and he still has not pitched a full seasons in the major leagues. The indecisiveness of our front office, bringing Tillman back and fourth between Norfolk and Baltimore probably has had some ill effects on his confidence and emotions via mixed messages. If he pitches his way onto the team in spring training, by all means, put Tillman in the rotation. Otherwise, have him pitch in the minors until his velocity, movement and control are much improved.

I think we're expecting too much out of him right away. He's no Dontrelle Willis.
Minestrone
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #15 by ofahn » December 1st, 2011, 3:20 pm

Minestrone wrote:The indecisiveness of our front office, bringing Tillman back and fourth between Norfolk and Baltimore probably has had some ill effects on his confidence and emotions via mixed messages.

You make a valid point BUT Tillman's poor conditioning and inconsistent performance essentially forced the team to move him off of the 25 man roster. Let's face it, with the lack of starting pitching we've had over the last few years we've wanted him to stay in Baltimore.

If this kid comes to camp in shape, focuses on throwing strikes and increasing movement on his pitches, and learns to trust his stuff he has a good chance to make the team on opening day.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles