Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How I Would Fix the Baltimore Orioles

Re: How I Would Fix the Baltimore Orioles

PostPost #16 by ofahn » September 3rd, 2011, 10:20 am

This is an interesting story about the minor leagues and nutrition.

http://www.projo.com/pawsox/content/projo-20110710-pawsox-healthy-eating.c90bc6f.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by ofahn » October 1st, 2011, 8:50 am

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-pulse/2011/2612417.html

We've ranked the playoff teams by how much value they received this season from their recent homegrown players, using the following criteria to identify a homegrown player:

• The player had to have originally signed with the team as an amateur, either through the draft, the international market or as a nondrafted free agent.

• Only players with fewer than six years of service time count. Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada were all drafted or signed in the international market by the Yankees, but they have all been in the league long enough to have been eligible for free agency. It's certainly an advantage for the Yankees to have been the teams that originally signed them, but it's not so useful for our analysis to know they drafted Derek Jeter nearly 20 years ago.

Baseball America's Ben Badler has written an article (partial excerpt, above) about the contributions playoff teams have received from the players they have developed. I just hope whomever takes over players decisions in the warehouse reads it. Three or four times. Maybe a few times more. OK, a whole bunch.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #18 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 10:57 am

Thanks for the link. The Orioles absolutely must follow the Rays model but they are just so far from it.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #19 by ofahn » November 27th, 2011, 6:25 pm

When I wrote this topic I didn't include a change in ownership because I felt that Peter Angelos had learned his lesson and would give a new GM the tools and authority necessary to make the needed changes. I'm beginning to think I was foolishly optimistic.

First, Dipoto takes the Angels job without even looking back at the Orioles' position. Then LaCava interviews for the position and turns it down because he believes that Angelos won't allow him the authority to make the changes LaCava feels are necessary. Then numerous solid candidates decline the opportunity to even interview for one of only thirty GM jobs available in the world. Now, Klentak leaves for a lateral position with the Angels under Dipoto. Of course, he says all of the politically correct things about this not being about the Orioles, he just wants to the opportunity to build a winner. Apparently, he felt the Orioles wouldn't give him that opportunity.

The only act left in this tragedy is for the ship to break in half and sink.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » November 28th, 2011, 2:28 pm

Three step process:
1. Boost payroll to $120 mil
2. Increase scouting and development budget.
3. Increase international presence
8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #21 by ofahn » November 28th, 2011, 2:44 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Three step process:
1. Boost payroll to $120 mil
2. Increase scouting and development budget.
3. Increase international presence

Two and three will almost certainly happen under Duquette. I think you're dreaming about the 120M. Angelos won't authorize that kind of money until attendance hits 3M again and that won't happen until the team is a winner again. That won't happen until Two and Three are successfully implemented.

The most money I can see them spend is 45M/3yrs on Buehrle and we might get out bid at that amount.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by birdwatcher55 » November 28th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Waiting for Ripen to ride in on his white horse is like Obama waiting for the economy to turn around. NOT happening IMHO :)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by birdwatcher55 » November 28th, 2011, 3:35 pm

I'm not going to say you are wrong on point #1 but realistically Angelos has plenty of money with MASN. There is no reason why payroll can't at least be at $100 mil. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by ofahn » November 28th, 2011, 4:17 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I'm not going to say you are wrong on point #1 but realistically Angelos has plenty of money with MASN. There is no reason why payroll can't at least be at $100 mil. Just my two cents 8-)

I agree BUT it's Angelos' money.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by palmer22 » November 29th, 2011, 12:56 am

my repair.....sign harang,hardin and capuano trade for street and koji sign willingham and kouzmanoff lf-willingham cf-jones rf-markakis dh-riemold/scott 3b-kouzmanoff ss-hardy 2b-roberts or adams 1b-reynolds u-chris davis dh/lf/1b/3b ,andino-2b/ss.3b,hester-c , riemold/scott-dh/lf/1b sp-harang capuano guthrie hardin britton arrieta ,street,johnson,gregg,strop,berken,simon,oday,patton and koji
palmer22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #26 by ofahn » November 29th, 2011, 9:45 am

palmer22 wrote:my repair.....sign harang,hardin and capuano trade for street and koji sign willingham and kouzmanoff lf-willingham cf-jones rf-markakis dh-riemold/scott 3b-kouzmanoff ss-hardy 2b-roberts or adams 1b-reynolds u-chris davis dh/lf/1b/3b ,andino-2b/ss.3b,hester-c , riemold/scott-dh/lf/1b sp-harang capuano guthrie hardin britton arrieta ,street,johnson,gregg,strop,berken,simon,oday,patton and koji

That's a lot of money to spend for mediocre talent. Koji might come cheap but we would have to give a serious prospect for Street and the farm system is already short of talent. Even after all of that, the team you suggested is worth about 85 wins and ties up a lot of payroll in bad contracts for the next three years or so.

The most successful teams are built from young talent. Let's build the farm system by spending to the limit in the Rule 4 (amateur) draft and international signings. If the team feels that the fans need a big FA splash this winter then go after Buehrle or Cespedes. Both of those players are in the affordable range and can be part of a playoff team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles