Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Anthony Rendon

Anthony Rendon

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » September 5th, 2010, 1:28 am

Saw Rice on TV today for the start of the college football season, and it got me wondering...

What's the deal with Anthony Rendon and his injury? Is he still the number one pick?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Anthony Rendon

PostPost #2 by BuckMagic » September 6th, 2010, 11:47 am

2131andBeyond wrote:Saw Rice on TV today for the start of the college football season, and it got me wondering...

What's the deal with Anthony Rendon and his injury? Is he still the number one pick?

He's good to go for the start of the season and as long as there are no setbacks he's still the #1 pick...
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by allstar1579 » September 6th, 2010, 7:36 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:Saw Rice on TV today for the start of the college football season, and it got me wondering...

Surgery went well, less damage than they originally thought. Two months off and should be ready to start getting back to things.

I had a similar injury, small fracture, couple tears in the ligaments, pretty severe a tad worse than Rendon's from what I read, and I was back to walking and working out on it at 3 months. He's one of the top picks no question, and is the best hitter in the draft, but there are some SP that will make it interesting. I could see the Pirates passing on him for one of the college SP.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 6th, 2010, 8:24 pm

allstar1579 wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:I had a similar injury, small fracture, couple tears in the ligaments, pretty severe a tad worse than Rendon's from what I read, and I was back to walking and working out on it at 3 months. He's one of the top picks no question, and is the best hitter in the draft, but there are some SP that will make it interesting. I could see the Pirates passing on him for one of the college SP.

Agreed. I think the Pirates are going to think long and hard about Purke or Cole. I know you're not supposed to draft based on need, but they already have Alvarez at third base and Rendon should be in the majors within 1-2 years.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by 2131andBeyond » September 7th, 2010, 12:09 am

So with Rendon healthy enough to be a number one guy, is he somebody the O's would want? I know that sounds silly, because of course everybody would want him, but if a guy like Cole was available, would he still be our best bet if still there say Pirates go Purke.

Let's hope we don't finish last in the league in the end with a tough September/October
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by allstar1579 » September 7th, 2010, 7:43 am

Jordan wrote:
allstar1579 wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:I had a similar injury, small fracture, couple tears in the ligaments, pretty severe a tad worse than Rendon's from what I read, and I was back to walking and working out on it at 3 months. He's one of the top picks no question, and is the best hitter in the draft, but there are some SP that will make it interesting. I could see the Pirates passing on him for one of the college SP.

Agreed. I think the Pirates are going to think long and hard about Purke or Cole. I know you're not supposed to draft based on need, but they already have Alvarez at third base and Rendon should be in the majors within 1-2 years.

Yeah, the couple SP at the top this year are good enough you could call them even with Rendon, so you could draft on need in that sense, but you could make the case that some of them might be better than Rendon too. Pitchers are made and broken in the spring though, whatever they are ranked right now, it won't matter until they come out and have a good Feb-June.

You have Cole, Gray, Jungmann, Purke all in the mix there, and some HS kids that could work their way into things in the spring like Taillon and Machado did this year. It's a pretty top heavy draft, the top 7 or 8 are really good picks it seems right now.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by allstar1579 » September 7th, 2010, 7:45 am

2131andBeyond wrote:So with Rendon healthy enough to be a number one guy, is he somebody the O's would want? I know that sounds silly, because of course everybody would want him, but if a guy like Cole was available, would he still be our best bet if still there say Pirates go Purke.

Let's hope we don't finish last in the league in the end with a tough September/October

Really just depends on if any of the pitchers really step it up and separate themselves, but you could make the comparison that it's like choosing from Longoria, Lincecum, Beckett and Cahill. You really can't go that wrong at the top right now.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by BuckMagic » September 7th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Who would you guys say is the #1 college pitcher in the '11 class?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by allstar1579 » September 7th, 2010, 11:54 pm

BuckMagic wrote:Who would you guys say is the #1 college pitcher in the '11 class?

Right now I'd give it to Cole, with Purke and Gray RIGHT behind, but that's going to be real fluid all season.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 8th, 2010, 11:54 am

allstar1579 wrote:
BuckMagic wrote:Who would you guys say is the #1 college pitcher in the '11 class?

Right now I'd give it to Cole, with Purke and Gray RIGHT behind, but that's going to be real fluid all season.

Cole is first for me, but Jungmann is right there with Purke and Gray for me.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 8th, 2010, 11:55 am

Pat Hickey wrote a guest post on this topic a few weeks ago.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by allstar1579 » September 8th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Jordan wrote:
allstar1579 wrote:

Cole is first for me, but Jungmann is right there with Purke and Gray for me.

Yeah I know a lot of guys are REALLY high on Jungmann, and I don't really have a reason for disagreeing, but for some reason my "spidey-sense" is tingling on that one. Haven't put my finger on it yet, but I had the same feeling about T. Beckham, D. Tate and Hobgood, so I'm trusting it for now :)

I think you made QBs fall in love with Jungmann though, that's all I've heard out of him for months ;)
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 8th, 2010, 7:21 pm

allstar1579 wrote:Yeah I know a lot of guys are REALLY high on Jungmann, and I don't really have a reason for disagreeing, but for some reason my "spidey-sense" is tingling on that one. Haven't put my finger on it yet, but I had the same feeling about T. Beckham, D. Tate and Hobgood, so I'm trusting it for now :)

I think you made QBs fall in love with Jungmann though, that's all I've heard out of him for months ;)

I think you either really like Jungmann or you don't. Is it his mechanics? I haven't seen him pitch but I've hard some bad things about his mechanics.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by allstar1579 » September 8th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Jordan wrote:
allstar1579 wrote:Yeah I know a lot of guys are REALLY high on Jungmann, and I don't really have a reason for disagreeing, but for some reason my "spidey-sense" is tingling on that one. Haven't put my finger on it yet, but I had the same feeling about T. Beckham, D. Tate and Hobgood, so I'm trusting it for now :)

I think you either really like Jungmann or you don't. Is it his mechanics? I haven't seen him pitch but I've hard some bad things about his mechanics.

I actually liked him a lot coming off his Freshman year, but I think it's a combination of worry about his mechanics (which I'm sure he'll clean up) and the mental comparison that I have to get over of what happened to Workman this past year (didn't completely play up to his potential). That's why I said it''s nothing major, it's just something nagging in my head, I'd still take him at 3 or 4, no problem, but I'll be paying close attention this season too.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by CamdenRevival » September 9th, 2010, 1:36 am

So much can change between now and June (see where Manny Machado was a year ago--don't think he was projecting as the #3), but with that said, I hope the Orioles end up with Cole. Don't get me wrong--I think a power bat would be extremely valuable and probably the most necessary. But the idea of a guy that didn't sign with the Yankees out of HS coming back to shut them down on behalf of the Orioles? Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun...
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to MLB Draft