Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

JJ Hardy: Comparison to his Competition

JJ Hardy: Comparison to his Competition

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » November 22nd, 2011, 1:02 pm

Hardy had a terrific first season in Baltimore. He continuously excelled with the bat, while playing above average defense along the way as well. I compared the statistics of Hardy versus the other qualifying SS in the league. All stats are taken from Fangraphs (http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0&team=0&players=0)

There were 20 qualifying SS in 2011:

As the above stats indicate, you know exactly what you are getting with Hardy. He is by no means an on-base machine, even though his wOBA is interestingly higher than one would expect. That is probably due to his 30 HR. Hardy HAS been a slugging machine though, tying only with Troy Tulowitzki in HR.
The most interesting aspect of Hardy's statistics from 2011 is how effective he was with the glove. He ranked 2nd in Fld(Also called UZR) at 10.7, only surpassed by Alexei Ramirez at 11.9.
Compare this to a player like Asdrubal Cabrera, and you could argue that Hardy was the more valuable player overall. Hardy was very steady with the glove, although he did not have the flashy plays to show for it.

Overall, the Orioles struck gold on the Hardy trade. He is certainly not a Troy Tulowitzki, but he is a pretty darn good player on a fair contract. He could be a very nice trade piece in a year or two if he can stay healthy.
Last edited by Tucker Blair on November 29th, 2011, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: JJ Hardy: Comparison to his Competition

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 22nd, 2011, 4:48 pm

Thanks, again, for doing the research. This is FIRST RATE stuff. I wish I had the patience to put something like this together.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » November 23rd, 2011, 10:42 pm

ofahn wrote:Thanks, again, for doing the research. This is FIRST RATE stuff. I wish I had the patience to put something like this together.

thanks, I appreciate it. I enjoy doing these, plus I get to learn more about the players myself!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » November 29th, 2011, 10:20 am

Caught an error in this: Changed BABIP to wOBA in this sentence

"He is by no means an on-base machine, even though his wOBA is interestingly higher than one would expect. That is probably due to his 30 HR."

sorry if that confused anyone!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 29th, 2011, 10:48 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Caught an error in this: Changed BABIP to wOBA in this sentence

"He is by no means an on-base machine, even though his wOBA is interestingly higher than one would expect. That is probably due to his 30 HR."

sorry if that confused anyone!

Please stand in the corner for the next 60 seconds.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles