Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Yoennis Cespedes

Yoennis Cespedes

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » November 23rd, 2011, 1:34 pm

Are the Orioles in on this? Or are they too afraid to commit to anyone? He seems like the perfect gap player for us. It gives the fans a little something new and interesting. Could potentially give the offense and defense a boost on the field. And won't cost a long term deal this organization seems to fear. We would have to offer 2+ million more per season to get him over say the Skanks or Angels, but its probably worth a shot. I don't see him looking for more than a 3 year deal as he would be in line for the 5 year deal at 29-30, thus cashing in for that final big contract (assuming he plays well).
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Yoennis Cespedes

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » November 23rd, 2011, 1:40 pm

I hope not. One scout who looked at him recently had his doubts as well. I would take that $30 million and spend it on the real deal - Prince Fielder 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by ofahn » November 23rd, 2011, 2:00 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I hope not. One scout who looked at him recently had his doubts as well. I would take that $30 million and spend it on the real deal - Prince Fielder 8-)

If Fielder were willing to sign for 30M the Brewers would have already locked him up. Try 150M for a good team and 200M for some also ran (see Nationals, Washington) that Boras cons into thinking that Fielder will give them "legitimacy".
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Don » November 23rd, 2011, 2:22 pm

I would like to know which scout or observer, because what did we see differently....

For every 1 bad mouth, I have about 4 times as many guys that like his skill set...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 23rd, 2011, 2:32 pm

Don wrote:I would like to know which scout or observer, because what did we see differently....

Don,

On a different post I opined that I thought that Cespedes would go for less than 30M because of an early report that ALL international signings would be capped. Now, it appears that the cap only applies to players 23 and younger so someone like Cespedes can sign for whatever amount some moron is willing to pay for a player that has never played one game of ML baseball.

Cespedes is exactly the type of player we should be looking to invest in but I can't fault the team for being cautious about 50 to 60M for any prospect. Half of that money maybe, but more than that ............................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by BuckMagic » November 23rd, 2011, 9:12 pm

ofahn wrote:
Don wrote:I would like to know which scout or observer, because what did we see differently....

Don,

On a different post I opined that I thought that Cespedes would go for less than 30M because of an early report that ALL international signings would be capped. Now, it appears that the cap only applies to players 23 and younger so someone like Cespedes can sign for whatever amount some moron is willing to pay for a player that has never played one game of ML baseball.

Cespedes is exactly the type of player we should be looking to invest in but I can't fault the team for being cautious about 50 to 60M for any prospect. Half of that money maybe, but more than that ............................

Yeah, tis a bit ridiculous to spend that much. If the Orioles were in a position where they could make that investment, have it not work out, and still be ok, I'd say do it but they are not there right now.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » November 24th, 2011, 1:03 am

This organization has to do something to boost the offense and solve that black hole in left. Plus he can play CF so that solves any Jones related injury problems. Just as a fan, it would get me excited about our offensive potential in 2012. I hope the Orioles visit Coors next year, it'd be fun to see them play.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » November 28th, 2011, 2:22 pm

ofahn wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:I hope not. One scout who looked at him recently had his doubts as well. I would take that $30 million and spend it on the real deal - Prince Fielder 8-)

If Fielder were willing to sign for 30M the Brewers would have already locked him up. Try 150M for a good team and 200M for some also ran (see Nationals, Washington) that Boras cons into thinking that Fielder will give them "legitimacy".

That's obvious. I would apply the $30 mil TOWARDS his contract which BTW will easily top 200 mil. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by ofahn » November 28th, 2011, 2:35 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would apply the $30 mil TOWARDS his contract which BTW will easily top 200 mil.

OK, but why?

Fielder isn't a starting pitcher and we need two of those. He isn't a quality reliever and we need two of those. He isn't a solid defensive 3B and we need one of those. He isn't a 2B and we need one of those. I just don't see how it's a good idea to max out the budget on one player when there are so many holes to fill.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Matt P » November 28th, 2011, 11:18 pm

What is his ETA?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #11 by ofahn » November 28th, 2011, 11:48 pm

As early as 2012.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Rising O's » November 30th, 2011, 7:21 pm

The O's are officially interested, now on to the show.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » December 1st, 2011, 10:49 pm

I want this guy badly for some reason. I usually am very mild on situations like this, but I cannot help myself this time. I think the Orioles fanbase needs a guy like this brought in. I highly doubt the Orioles get him, but boy would it be cool.

Do I think he is a cure-all? Absolutely not.
Do I think he is the best use of the Orioles investment capabilities? Probably Not.
But I would love him.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #14 by palmer22 » December 1st, 2011, 11:10 pm

no not at that cost use money for starters and thirdbaseman os can be .500 just sign cuddyer,kotchman,francis and harang move jim johnson into the rotation and keep reynolds at firstbase chris davis,cuddyer,reynolds and riemold --DHing reynolds,kotchman-1B chris davis,antonelli/3b riemold/cuddyer-LF do not resign scott trade-gregg, josh bell,tillman and bergesen and give strop a shot at closing...................harang guthrie hunter britton johnson or arietta/matusz or sign francis bullpen-strop gregg berken patton phillips simon or o'day maybe hunter if he doesnt start
palmer22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » December 2nd, 2011, 7:28 am

I would tread carefully with this guy. He is very pricey and not all scouts, I have read, think he is all that great. One scout questions whether he can hit major league pitching consistently and has not seen much of a plus plus fastball. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles