Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Hot Stove 2012: Potential Free Agents Pitchers For The O's

Hot Stove 2012: Potential Free Agents Pitchers For The O's

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 7th, 2011, 12:07 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/11/03/20 ... -pitchers/

Pitching is still a giant need for the Orioles and it is one of the weakest crops over the last few seasons. CC Sabathia re-signing with the Yankees brings the market down a notch further. The Orioles need a guy to pair with Jeremy Guthrie to hold down the fort and lessen the stress on the bullpen.

Options:
- CJ Wilson
- Edwin Jackson
- Paul Malholm
- Yu Darvish
- Wei-Yin Chen
- Mark Buehrle
- Roy Oswalt
- Jeff Francis
- Tsuyoshi Wada
- Hisashi Iwakuma

Who would you like to see Baltimore sign?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Hot Stove 2012: Potential Free Agents Pitchers For The O's

PostPost #2 by ljmillar22 » November 7th, 2011, 8:39 am

I like the look of alot of the pitchers listed above, but unfortunately the likes of CJ, Buehrle and jackson will not want to pitch at such a hitter friendly ball park for a team that has to play the red sox and yankees alot in a year.
If it was me in charge id look at Jeff Francis and Paul Maholm both servicable lefties that have good experience and both can help our young rotation.
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Zach » November 7th, 2011, 9:38 am

Another issue on the top 3 is what money we will have left after we go after a Fielder or another big name hitter which seems to be a consensus priority for this club around this site. I think that Oswalt is a good cheaper option as a righty. I know the injury concerns about him, but a 1 year deal with a club option would be a way to minimize the risk surrounding this. He could also serve as a mentor.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by Don » November 7th, 2011, 10:20 am

My concern with Paul Malholm is shoulder problems and I would want to see the MRI and get a clean bill of health.

Roy Oswalt is not taking a one year deal. If that were the case, he would have every playoff team on his tail right now including the Phillies, Yankees, Sox's, Rangers, etc... He and his agent have made it clear that he is looking for a three year deal and it is simply too much risk for 10 million per year on the cheap side of any potential deal. Talented pitcher, but back problems are nothing to sneeze at and actually worse than guys with previous TJS for example.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by BuckMagic » November 10th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Maholm would be out of the AL East after two starts.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by Matt P » November 10th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Edwin Jackson depending on the contract it would take to get him here. Jeff Francis is someone I would also take a good look at.

I don't know enough about the foreign pitchers but I wouldn't be interested in spending big money on a posting fee.

I think if the O's are going to upgrade the rotation this off season it will need to be done via trade. Guys like Floyd, Billingsley, Jurrjens, Danks, and others all are reportedly available.

Next off season has some pretty solid pitchers so I wouldn't overpay for someone to be our #1 starter for this upcoming season. There are a few guys we could sign next off season that could be legitimate "aces".
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 10th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Matt P wrote:I think if the O's are going to upgrade the rotation this off season it will need to be done via trade. Guys like Floyd, Billingsley, Jurrjens, Danks, and others all are reportedly available.

What are you going to offer another team for those pitchers? There isn't anything to spare in the farm system.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Matt P » November 10th, 2011, 9:48 pm

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:I think if the O's are going to upgrade the rotation this off season it will need to be done via trade. Guys like Floyd, Billingsley, Jurrjens, Danks, and others all are reportedly available.

What are you going to offer another team for those pitchers? There isn't anything to spare in the farm system.

I don't know exactly what I would offer to them but I would start talking to Atlanta about deals involving Adam Jones and talking to Chicago about deals involving Adam Jones and Nick Markakis.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by ofahn » November 10th, 2011, 10:16 pm

Matt P wrote:I would start talking to Atlanta about deals involving Adam Jones

You might get some traction there but I think that the White Sox may be in a rebuilding mode so they would want prospects. We might have a shot at Danks IF we were willing to take Dunn. As bad as his season was I don't think he is through and might be worth a gamble if the Sox cover about half (21M) of what's left of his contract.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by kbrooke » November 20th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Apropos of nothing, I read that Wilson is asking for an insane contract (6 years, $120m), which only the likes of Halladay and someone else (CC?) are getting right now. Francis or Jackson, maybe?
kbrooke
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #11 by Shorebirdfan » November 20th, 2011, 9:17 pm

I don't think I'd go any further down this list than Jackson.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #12 by ofahn » November 20th, 2011, 9:46 pm

I think we missed our best chance at a quality pitcher at a reasonable price. Derek Lowe went to the Indians.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » November 23rd, 2011, 1:53 pm

Jackson is a career .500 pitcher. Granted a .500 career pitcher would look great on this roster in the past but I have to think we can set the bar higher 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 23rd, 2011, 7:56 pm

ofahn wrote:I think we missed our best chance at a quality pitcher at a reasonable price. Derek Lowe went to the Indians.

He's the kind of pitcher they needed, too. Ground ball guy who keeps the ball in the park. Would have been a nice fit.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #15 by BuckMagic » November 23rd, 2011, 9:09 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Jackson is a career .500 pitcher. Granted a .500 career pitcher would look great on this roster in the past but I have to think we can set the bar higher 8-)

Still judging pitchers by wins and losses?!?! :o ;)
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles