Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#50 Prospect - Justin Dalles

#50 Prospect - Justin Dalles

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 17th, 2010, 4:51 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2010/09/17/on ... in-dalles/

Justin Dalles kicks of our 2010 Post-Season top Prospects countdown as our #50 prospect!

A stud defensive catcher that is almost a lock to become a backup if he can provide a little more value at the plate. A guy like this makes a top 50 list easily.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #50 Prospect - Justin Dalles

PostPost #2 by allstar1579 » September 17th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Jordan wrote:http://orioles-nation.com/2010/09/17/on-top-50-prospects-50-justin-dalles/

Justin Dalles kicks of our 2010 Post-Season top Prospects countdown as our #50 prospect!

A stud defensive catcher that is almost a lock to become a backup if he can provide a little more value at the plate. A guy like this makes a top 50 list easily.

While considering it's an individual team's top 50 list, which could put him at about the 1500th best player in the minor leagues I don't argue the ranking, but I've heard not so good things about Justin "Corbin" Dalles this year (points to anyone who gets THAT reference).
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » September 17th, 2010, 8:17 pm

While considering it's an individual team's top 50 list, which could put him at about the 1500th best player in the minor leagues I don't argue the ranking, but I've heard not so good things about Justin "Corbin" Dalles this year (points to anyone who gets THAT reference).

Guessing that is a reference to the movie "Major League" and Corbin Bersen's lack of defensive prowess.

Jordan - I think it will be hard to judge spot by spot as we climb the board. I don't see any problem with Justin here, although as Allstar1579 references, the D has to improve drastically.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 17th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Guessing that is a reference to the movie "Major League" and Corbin Bersen's lack of defensive prowess.

Jordan - I think it will be hard to judge spot by spot as we climb the board. I don't see any problem with Justin here, although as Allstar1579 references, the D has to improve drastically.

allstar1579 wrote:While considering it's an individual team's top 50 list, which could put him at about the 1500th best player in the minor leagues I don't argue the ranking, but I've heard not so good things about Justin "Corbin" Dalles this year (points to anyone who gets THAT reference).

He does need to work on making accurate throws to 2B, and his pop time isn't anything special. I've talked to players who feel they feel they are a completely different pitcher when Dalles is catching. They feel they can dominate without their best stuff because he knows each pitcher well and works with their strengths and weaknesses. There are obvious areas that need improvement, but I'm confident Dalles is going to make the necessary adjustments.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by allstar1579 » September 17th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Jordan wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:Guessing that is a reference to the movie "Major League" and Corbin Bersen's lack of defensive prowess.

allstar1579 wrote:While considering it's an individual team's top 50 list, which could put him at about the 1500th best player in the minor leagues I don't argue the ranking, but I've heard not so good things about Justin "Corbin" Dalles this year (points to anyone who gets THAT reference).

He does need to work on making accurate throws to 2B, and his pop time isn't anything special. I've talked to players who feel they feel they are a completely different pitcher when Dalles is catching. They feel they can dominate without their best stuff because he knows each pitcher well and works with their strengths and weaknesses. There are obvious areas that need improvement, but I'm confident Dalles is going to make the necessary adjustments.

It's actually a reference to the movie 5th Element with Bruce Willis and Milla Jovavich, his character is named Corbin Dalles. Anywhoo...

As a guy that was supposed to be a great defensive catcher, I heard from some high-ish up sources that he wasn't as good as advertised and they weren't impressed. The bat they don't think will play at AA let alone the majors, just some really harsh criticism, I was kinda taken back when I heard what these guys thought of him as a player.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 17th, 2010, 10:42 pm

allstar1579 wrote:As a guy that was supposed to be a great defensive catcher, I heard from some high-ish up sources that he wasn't as good as advertised and they weren't impressed. The bat they don't think will play at AA let alone the majors, just some really harsh criticism, I was kinda taken back when I heard what these guys thought of him as a player.

He certainly hasn't lived up to his 6th round pick status, but I've heard enough and he's shown me enough for me to put him here.

I don't think that's the right way of thinking about lists like these. Jaime Esquivel's on our list, but could have easily been left off. Is he really not a top 1500 prospect?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by allstar1579 » September 17th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Jordan wrote:
allstar1579 wrote:As a guy that was supposed to be a great defensive catcher, I heard from some high-ish up sources that he wasn't as good as advertised and they weren't impressed. The bat they don't think will play at AA let alone the majors, just some really harsh criticism, I was kinda taken back when I heard what these guys thought of him as a player.

He certainly hasn't lived up to his 6th round pick status, but I've heard enough and he's shown me enough for me to put him here.

I don't think that's the right way of thinking about lists like these. Jaime Esquivel's on our list, but could have easily been left off. Is he really not a top 1500 prospect?

That's completely fine, you know your stuff. I just shared that I've heard some pretty bad stuff so far. It's early though, and I've shared ad nauseum how I feel about evaluating guys this soon.

Well doing a top 50 for any team is a little over the top. I'm not sure if I agree with guys doing top 30's for individual team, but I think 50 is really pushing it. If every team in the majors did a top 50, that would be ranking 1500 guys, and you have to realize that other teams out there are MUCH deeper than we are. We might be a top 10-15 organization, but that is top heavy from Machado and Britton too. Guys we may get excited about here and rank at 25, could PAIL in comparison to guys ranked 25 in other organizations. Look at BOS, TB, MIN, TEX...they are stacked and some of their guys in the 30s and 40s could be better than guys we have in the 10s-20s.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 17th, 2010, 11:28 pm

allstar1579 wrote:That's completely fine, you know your stuff. I just shared that I've heard some pretty bad stuff so far. It's early though, and I've shared ad nauseum how I feel about evaluating guys this soon.

Well doing a top 50 for any team is a little over the top. I'm not sure if I agree with guys doing top 30's for individual team, but I think 50 is really pushing it. If every team in the majors did a top 50, that would be ranking 1500 guys, and you have to realize that other teams out there are MUCH deeper than we are. We might be a top 10-15 organization, but that is top heavy from Machado and Britton too. Guys we may get excited about here and rank at 25, could PAIL in comparison to guys ranked 25 in other organizations. Look at BOS, TB, MIN, TEX...they are stacked and some of their guys in the 30s and 40s could be better than guys we have in the 10s-20s.

Not a problem. I understand where you're coming from and trust you in that you've talked to credible people.

Doing a top 50 allows me to put out more information than a top 30 would...
I'm in the process of finishing up the player profiles, and I'm basically trying to write the posts for each player at the same time I write the profile report.

Sorry if my earlier posts came off a little too defensively. Wasn't my intention to take any kind of jab at you.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by allstar1579 » September 17th, 2010, 11:44 pm

Jordan wrote:
allstar1579 wrote:That's completely fine, you know your stuff. I just shared that I've heard some pretty bad stuff so far. It's early though, and I've shared ad nauseum how I feel about evaluating guys this soon.

Not a problem. I understand where you're coming from and trust you in that you've talked to credible people.

Doing a top 50 allows me to put out more information than a top 30 would...
I'm in the process of finishing up the player profiles, and I'm basically trying to write the posts for each player at the same time I write the profile report.

Sorry if my earlier posts came off a little too defensively. Wasn't my intention to take any kind of jab at you.

Don't sweat it, I've known all along we differ a little bit in that you like to focus on the new and really young guys a bit more than I do. It's no biggie at all. I completely get WHY you do the list, it's just the actual ranking of them after 30 I would have a very hard time doing. I'd probably just lump that last 20 together and write something up on them alphabetically or something, just me though.

I never take debates like this personally, so don't feel bad, let me have it any time you don't agree. :)
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 17th, 2010, 11:54 pm

allstar1579 wrote:Don't sweat it, I've known all along we differ a little bit in that you like to focus on the new and really young guys a bit more than I do. It's no biggie at all. I completely get WHY you do the list, it's just the actual ranking of them after 30 I would have a very hard time doing. I'd probably just lump that last 20 together and write something up on them alphabetically or something, just me though.

I never take debates like this personally, so don't feel bad, let me have it any time you don't agree. :)

I see what you're saying. That's what I like most about prospects -- there are so many different ways to look at it and none of them are wrong.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Don » September 21st, 2010, 12:57 pm

I am not completely sold on Justin Dalles and it has absolutely nothing to do from a talent standpoint. A few days ago Jason LaRue retired from concussion issues. Being a catcher who has one documented already, he is behind the 8-Ball playing one of the sports easiest positions to sustain concussions.

I hope it does not cause long term issues, but this is something to strongly pay attention for in the future.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues