Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

Re: Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

PostPost #106 by Matt P » November 15th, 2011, 9:48 pm

What is a Schoop type player defined as? The kid hasn't even played in AA yet let's give him some time before we crown him a future big league starter.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #107 by ofahn » November 15th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Matt P wrote:What is a Schoop type player defined as? The kid hasn't even played in AA yet let's give him some time before we crown him a future big league starter.

http://orioles-nation.com/players/jonathan-schoop/
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #108 by Matt P » November 15th, 2011, 9:52 pm

I know who Schoop is. I don't see how having two guys in A+ would have gotten the team above .500 over the past 14 years though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #109 by birdwatcher55 » November 17th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Schoop is not going anywhere. He will likely be starting in Baltimore in 2013. Scouts rave about his bat. :)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #110 by ofahn » November 17th, 2011, 4:30 pm

I hope that Duquette has the authority to spend some real money in the international market over the next few months. We can't go back in time to invest what we should have from the 2008 draft to present, and there isn't a "free" agent out there this winter that could make a difference over the next six or so years that isn't WAAAAAAYYYYY overpriced.

If Angelos wants to make a statement and give the fans a reason for hope he could authorize Duquette to spend what's necessary (about 40M or so) to sign Cespedes and a few other international players and trade Jones for some quality near ML ready pitchers. The result would be a team that MIGHT hit .500 in 2012 and could begin a winning tradition AGAIN in 2013.

I can be patient for that IF I see the commitment by ownership to repair its past mistakes.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #111 by Zach » November 17th, 2011, 4:40 pm

While I agree that we should invest more in the international markets I'm not sure that Cespedes is the right answer. Everyone got excited over his scouting tape, but that did not show much actual game play and more just showed he is very athletic. Granted this also means that we can't say he would be a bust but further evaluation should be done before spending 40 mil on him. If he is just a super athletic "toolsy" guy we already have one of those in our system in Xavier Avery. Again the problem with trading Jones is that we don't have someone who can step in to replace him. Matt Angle is simply not that guy. Also, not sure where we would send him as the most attractive trading partner (Giants) has already made their move for the outfield and Im not sure who we could get for him now.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #112 by ofahn » November 17th, 2011, 5:19 pm

I think that Cespedes will sign for something less than 30M. I suggested the rest of the money for OTHER players.

Given a choice I would prefer to have FIVE, TEN, FIFTEEN Averys in the system. First, not every prospect becomes a ML regular. Second, the more talent you have in the system the more trade options you have. Suppose we had two Averys at AAA right now that had an OPS of .800. We could have some serious discussions with Oakland about Gio Gonzales.

I don't care if Angle isn't Adam Jones. Jones MIGHT mean four or five more wins next year. SO WHAT! We're not going to be a playoff contender until at least 2013. If Jones gets us at least two ML ready starters that win an EXTRA ten or so games in 2013 then we have a chance to play games that mean something in mid October.

As fans we need to be realistic. Angelos isn't going to add 40M to the ML payroll for TWO players without gutting the player development budget. If that happens we'll become the Pittsburgh Pirates FOR THE NEXT DECADE. Is that what you want? This organization does not have enough talent in the majors or minors to be a winner. We HAVE TO ADD MORE YOUNG TALENT or we will NEVER compete with ANY of the teams in the AL East, much less the rest of the American League.

Duquette can say all he wants about understanding what it takes to be a winner but until he shows me that Angelos has given him the tools necessary to make those promises a reality, I won't be a believer. If we're going to spend on players this winter let's do it on young talent that we have a chance at and will be part of the 2014 and beyond teams.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #113 by Matt P » November 17th, 2011, 6:55 pm

I don't think it matters anymore. Roch said the other day that Jones isn't getting traded.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #114 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 18th, 2011, 8:24 pm

https://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/stat ... 1127608320

Even though the Giants added Melky Cabrera, their priority is said to be (still) adding an outfielder. Carlos Beltran first on their list.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #115 by Don » November 18th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Anyone and I mean anyone is trade-able in any sport. I would not hang the fan aspect on the player to hold value for the team. If by moving him for pieces that make the entire program one win better or one step closer to hoisting a championship, you do it.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #116 by Don » November 18th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Trust me Cespedes is signing for closer to 40 million and I might even bump my projections to 45 million seeing the landscape of suitors.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #117 by Matt P » November 19th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Listening to more of Duquette's interviews it's pretty obvious that he views Wieters, Jones, and Hardy as the 3 best players on the team and has referred to them as players to build around. I doubt Jones gets traded this off season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #118 by ofahn » November 19th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Matt P wrote:I doubt Jones gets traded this off season.

Yes, I'm beginning to agree that the team will make that mistake but by January Washington or Atlanta may realize they need a player like Jones to finish their roster and Duquette might receive an offer he can't refuse.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #119 by Don » November 19th, 2011, 9:58 pm

I would not trust one word out of GM's mouth when he talks to the media about anything.

Jones is tradeable and simply takes the right package for it to happen.

We have not even hit the winter meetings to this point and who knows what the market bares for him or any other Oriole.

The only ones that are locked down are those in control for at least 3/4 years into the future. Everyone else should be on the table because they may not be here when the team is in position to be a winner again.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #120 by ofahn » November 19th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Don wrote:I would not trust one word out of GM's mouth when he talks to the media about anything.

I was thinking the same thing. The best way to drive up the price for a player in demand is to say you don't want to trade him. I WOULDN'T trade Weiters or Britton. After that.............
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles