Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Harbor Park

Harbor Park

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » September 5th, 2010, 1:10 am

Is it just me, or do other people wish Harbor Park in Norfolk was closer to Baltimore?

I have always wanted to go see the O's highest level prospects and minor leaguers play, but have never made the multi-hour car ride down there.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Harbor Park

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 5th, 2010, 10:49 am

The Orioles have the closest affiliates in all of the minors, Norfolk is the only affiliate more than 3 hours away (aside from the GCL and DSL Orioles).

Teams would always like their affiliates as close as possible, whether or not there is a team open is the question.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by 2131andBeyond » September 6th, 2010, 11:51 pm

Jordan wrote:The Orioles have the closest affiliates in all of the minors, Norfolk is the only affiliate more than 3 hours away (aside from the GCL and DSL Orioles).

Teams would always like their affiliates as close as possible, whether or not there is a team open is the question.

Besides that I wish the Tides were closer, I know player do too. Many guys have been quoted before on how the ride down to Norfolk can be the worst experience ever (lots of time to think and make realizations, I know Reimold and Meredith have both talked about it). Then again, the ride up FROM Norfolk must be nice, though long.

I would say move a lower level team down there to bring the AAA guys up here, but I guess it is best to keep all the lower level guys close for moves and scouting to be easier.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Gregemb » September 7th, 2010, 7:57 am

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Norfolk is one of the closer AAA affiliates to it's parent team in MLB. I smell ROAD TRIP!! Why not organize a trip of site members to Norfolk to take in a game or two in 2011? Sounds like a good idea to me.
Gregemb
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by 2131andBeyond » September 7th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Gregemb wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Norfolk is one of the closer AAA affiliates to it's parent team in MLB. I smell ROAD TRIP!! Why not organize a trip of site members to Norfolk to take in a game or two in 2011? Sounds like a good idea to me.

With the success of the tweet-ups so far this season, I see no reason against it!

For those who do not know what 'tweet-ups' are: Throughout this past season, people who talk Orioles baseball on Twitter have at many times met up at O's games.

If you are not a member of Twitter, you should think about joining! Follow us at @Orioles_Nation!
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 7th, 2010, 7:17 pm

Gregemb wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Norfolk is one of the closer AAA affiliates to it's parent team in MLB. I smell ROAD TRIP!! Why not organize a trip of site members to Norfolk to take in a game or two in 2011? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Once we get a little more action here, I'm all for setting something like this up.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by 2131andBeyond » September 7th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Jordan wrote:

Once we get a little more action here, I'm all for setting something like this up.

For now, things like Bowie or Frederick or Aberdeen trips may be easier.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by 2131andBeyond » September 7th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Has anybody been to Harbor Park? Not literally, but anybody on here or reading this? I've seen pictures, but curious from a fan's perspective of what it's like. Especially compared to Ed Smith Stadium if you have been there as well.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by DougDE » September 11th, 2010, 3:46 am

Norfolk's a lot closer then Ottawa or Rochester, the last 2 locations of AAA. The O's actually have a sweet deal when it comes to minor league clubs being close. For instance, I was visiting a friend in CT last summer and right down the road was San Francisco's AA team....on the EAST coast
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 11th, 2010, 1:02 pm

DougDE wrote:Norfolk's a lot closer then Ottawa or Rochester, the last 2 locations of AAA. The O's actually have a sweet deal when it comes to minor league clubs being close. For instance, I was visiting a friend in CT last summer and right down the road was San Francisco's AA team....on the EAST coast

The Giants' AA affiliate, the Richmond Flying Squirrels also play on the East Coast. Not where you want your AA & AAA teams.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues