Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matt Wieters: Comparison to his Competition

Matt Wieters: Comparison to his Competition

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » November 15th, 2011, 11:29 am

Wieters was one the few bright spots for the Orioles this year. While he may have not been "terrific" with the bat, he still proved that he is capable of becoming a very good hitter in this league for a long time. I compared Wieters stats to the other qualifying catchers. I also threw in some defensive stats since we are indeed talking about catchers and defense is Wieters' strength.

Catcher had 9 Qualifying players in 2011 (Obviously there were many catchers close, but only 9 qualified)
*Also take into account that Mauer and Posey were injured most of the year
*Some Catchers (Carlos Santana) had more plate appearances due to playing another position

Some more defensive notes:

Wieters ranked 1st in the entire league with 14 DRS (Total Defensive Runs Saved)
He also ranked 1st with 5 RSB (Stolen Based Runs Saved)

Overall, I would say that Wieters was very satisfying from a Catchers standpoint last season. The defense was top tier, and the hitting aspect of his game is only going to get better.

One final fun note:
Bill James projection on Wieters in 2012: .281AVG/.353OBP/.468SLG/.304BABIP/.357wOBA

I would gladly take that!
(stats all taken from http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=800&type=1&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0&team=0&players=0)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Matt Wieters: Comparison to his Competition

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 15th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Thanks for doing this. It's real quality work.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Matt P » November 15th, 2011, 9:58 pm

I think it's safe to say he is one of the elite catchers in the game.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » November 15th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Matt P wrote:I think it's safe to say he is one of the elite catchers in the game.

I would argue he is top 5 to be honest.
His hitting is only going to get better in my opinion.
The thing I like about Wieters is that he seems to be a very good student of the game. I wish we could say that about every other player we have
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by Don » November 15th, 2011, 10:58 pm

I said sometime last winter that his bat should eventually come along. He will not be the dual threat that a lot saw out of Georgia Tech, but his power production, on base percentage, combined with his defensive improvements lead very little that could be more crucial in baseball.

You could make a solid case for him over any other catcher in baseball, but a few can make a case above him. Either way, he is something that is rare. A complete catcher...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by kbrooke » November 20th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Nice job. Who would you get as his backup next season now that we're down our last two options?
kbrooke
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » November 20th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Don wrote:I said sometime last winter that his bat should eventually come along. He will not be the dual threat that a lot saw out of Georgia Tech, but his power production, on base percentage, combined with his defensive improvements lead very little that could be more crucial in baseball.

You could make a solid case for him over any other catcher in baseball, but a few can make a case above him. Either way, he is something that is rare. A complete catcher...

Have to agree. He is floating in rare air as an all round player at the C spot. Best part is he is only going to get better.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Baltimore Orioles