Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Mark Reynolds

Mark Reynolds

PostPost #1 by Zach » November 14th, 2011, 8:27 pm

The tweet about his position prompted this post. Which do you guys see as a preferable way for Reynolds to be transitioned into DH (assuming we can't attract Prince Fielder to come here): sign a first baseman (Loney? Barton?) and move Davis to 3B or keep Davis at 1B and sign a 3B (not sure who all is available)? I think that we should give a good look at Loney personally. Davis played decently at 3B and Loney was once thought of as a building block of the Dodgers. Provided we could get him for a reasonable price his stats weren't terrible last year and might be a good place holder until Mahoney proves himself ready.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Mark Reynolds

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 14th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Zach wrote:I think that we should give a good look at Loney personally. Davis played decently at 3B and Loney was once thought of as a building block of the Dodgers. Provided we could get him for a reasonable price his stats weren't terrible last year and might be a good place holder until Mahoney proves himself ready.

I understand that this response doesn't address your question about Reynolds but I'm not convinced that Mahoney is the solution at 1B. A seriously dominant season at AAA with above average plate discipline would change my mind.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by osforlife » November 14th, 2011, 9:06 pm

I mentioned Loney in a post earlier today on the NON-TENDER CANDIDATES feed. I don't think it would be a bad idea. Waring, Townsend, and Baker are all at AA next year and Mahoney hasn't played at AAA yet.I was hoping Snyder could come up to the majors and post Loney-like numbers but I think his boat has sunk after 2 1/2 mediocre seasons at AAA. We could at least keep him until Mahoney shows he is ready. Then we could ship him at the deadline. Keep Davis at 3B.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by BuckMagic » November 14th, 2011, 9:24 pm

I'd rather find a DH that has some upside. REynolds does not have the bat for DH and I would still prefer to keep him at third.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Matt P » November 14th, 2011, 10:09 pm

How does he not have the bat for DH?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by Zach » November 14th, 2011, 10:24 pm

He is a power threat. Why would you degrade that by having him butcher the fielding aspect of 3b?
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Return to Baltimore Orioles