Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Potential 2011 "reclamation projects"

Potential 2011 "reclamation projects"

PostPost #1 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 15th, 2010, 1:39 pm

If the Orioles want to contend in 2011, they are going to need to get better, and quite frankly, they're going to need to get "lucky". Best way to do both of those at once is by signing "reclamation projects". No, we shouldn't give any of these guys a major league deal because, chances are, nobody will. These are basically "low-risk, high-reward" signings. Best case: the guy turns out to be a nugget in a pile of un-nuggets. Worst case scenario: We still at least increase our depth in the minor league system and give the younger guys a veteran to look up to.

Mike MacDougal- He's pretty much a clone of Kyle Farnsworth. Throws very very hard, but not necessarily straight. I think he would give us some depth, and if we could somehow fix the guy, he could definitely be a nugget for us. If any team offers him a Major League contract, their GM should be fired on the spot.
Kelvim Escobar- He's kind of fallen off the face of the earth due to injuries. But he is trying to make a comeback. As a guy who has pitched in the playoffs and even won a few big games, he would bring a certain veteran presence to the Orioles if he comes up. He's not worth a major league deal at this point though. The payoff on Escobar could be very high though.
Rodrigo Lopez- Yes, our old pal Rodrigo. Not worth a major league deal, but I think he could potentially be a nugget for us in the pen. He can even make a spot-start from time to time if the need arises.
Brad Hawpe- He might get a major league deal from somebody, but if he doesn't, he's definitely worth taking a flyer on. If we can fix him (and that's a HUGE if), we just got ourselves the bargain of the century.
Mike Lowell- Yes he's old, and yes he's injured. But if nobody wants to give him a major league deal, certainly wouldn't hurt to offer him a minor league contract.
Akinori Iwamura- Judging by his past production, I'd say he's worth offering a minor league deal. At the very least, he could replace Roberts if the need arises.

Just a few guys that at the very least, could help mentor some of our young players.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Potential 2011 "reclamation projects"

PostPost #2 by allstar1579 » September 15th, 2010, 3:08 pm

This would be a good year to monitor the rule 5 draft closely. They should have gone after Hamilton like they discussed internally but chickened out on. Should be watching to see who is non-tendered too, could be a good sized list since teams are worried about the CBA impact and trying to reset salaries a bit.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 15th, 2010, 9:18 pm

allstar1579 wrote:This would be a good year to monitor the rule 5 draft closely. They should have gone after Hamilton like they discussed internally but chickened out on. Should be watching to see who is non-tendered too, could be a good sized list since teams are worried about the CBA impact and trying to reset salaries a bit.

I'm pissed that the Red Sox brought up Lars Anderson. I was hoping we could claim him during Rule 5, but now that's not an option unless they DFA him.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by allstar1579 » September 15th, 2010, 9:35 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
allstar1579 wrote:This would be a good year to monitor the rule 5 draft closely. They should have gone after Hamilton like they discussed internally but chickened out on. Should be watching to see who is non-tendered too, could be a good sized list since teams are worried about the CBA impact and trying to reset salaries a bit.

I'm pissed that the Red Sox brought up Lars Anderson. I was hoping we could claim him during Rule 5, but now that's not an option unless they DFA him.

You'll get your shot. I hear this was just a last chance audition before they left him out there, there are too many rapidly moving prospects in their org. and a couple have passed him (Kalish and Rizzo) on the depth chart recently. You'll see him designated if they get the 1B or 3B solution they are looking for.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 16th, 2010, 10:50 am

I hope we can get Anderson via the Rule 5. Has lots of raw power. He's definitely worth taking a flyer on. Just as long as we don't pick a guy who hasn't seen anything above A ball like we did when we picked Bautista way back when.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by allstar1579 » September 16th, 2010, 2:22 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:I hope we can get Anderson via the Rule 5. Has lots of raw power. He's definitely worth taking a flyer on. Just as long as we don't pick a guy who hasn't seen anything above A ball like we did when we picked Bautista way back when.

We had the right idea, we just didn't execute the development. In order to take someone in the rule 5 you have to have a slot on the roster to throw away for the season, you can't expect too much production, you just want to expose them and get them learning, then send them back down to finish baking after the season. Jason Johnson way back was a good example of that, but it's why RP go more often because they can be stashed in the pen, pitch 30-40 IP and then sent back to the minors after the season.

It's the teams that have had top minor league systems for a few years that you want to target in the rule 5, teams like the Red Sox, Rangers, Rays etc. the ones that can't clear out room on the 40 man fast enough for all the top guys to get in there, that's how you find a diamond in the rough.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 18th, 2010, 5:59 pm

allstar1579 wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:I hope we can get Anderson via the Rule 5. Has lots of raw power. He's definitely worth taking a flyer on. Just as long as we don't pick a guy who hasn't seen anything above A ball like we did when we picked Bautista way back when.

We had the right idea, we just didn't execute the development. In order to take someone in the rule 5 you have to have a slot on the roster to throw away for the season, you can't expect too much production, you just want to expose them and get them learning, then send them back down to finish baking after the season. Jason Johnson way back was a good example of that, but it's why RP go more often because they can be stashed in the pen, pitch 30-40 IP and then sent back to the minors after the season.

It's the teams that have had top minor league systems for a few years that you want to target in the rule 5, teams like the Red Sox, Rangers, Rays etc. the ones that can't clear out room on the 40 man fast enough for all the top guys to get in there, that's how you find a diamond in the rough.

Typically you don't go after a guy in A ball though. Lars Anderson would be a great pickup for us. I like his power, I think he just needs playing time. He reminds me a lot of Lyle Overbay with more power. He's just stuck behind Ortiz and Youk.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by cubscoutsrock54 » September 18th, 2010, 7:10 pm

I don't really see the Red Sox designating Anderson after just purchasing his contract. If they feel he isn't ready he'll probably just get sent down to AAA while remaining on the 40-man roster. Sure, he might have to share playing time with Rizzo should he be promoted, but I would imagine that is the better option for the Sox than designating him.

If he did get designated, would he have to pass through waviers before being eligible for Rule 5? If that were the case, I think that'd actually work out better for the O's, since they wouldn't have to put Anderson on the active roster if they picked him up that way. I guess the downside to that would be we'd have to work out a trade in that event, right?
cubscoutsrock54
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by allstar1579 » September 18th, 2010, 9:05 pm

cubscoutsrock54 wrote:I don't really see the Red Sox designating Anderson after just purchasing his contract. If they feel he isn't ready he'll probably just get sent down to AAA while remaining on the 40-man roster. Sure, he might have to share playing time with Rizzo should he be promoted, but I would imagine that is the better option for the Sox than designating him.

If he did get designated, would he have to pass through waviers before being eligible for Rule 5? If that were the case, I think that'd actually work out better for the O's, since they wouldn't have to put Anderson on the active roster if they picked him up that way. I guess the downside to that would be we'd have to work out a trade in that event, right?

Yup, you got it. More than likely they will include him in a package for someone this winter (it's like a 2-1 favorite for them to land AGonz), but if they decided he's been passed by enough guys and they want to get their young guys some ML experience you could see him waived, where we'd have first crack at him. They just have SO much talent in the system it's disgusting.

I had a convo a couple months back on another board about how well they've drafted the past 5-10 years, and it's scary to think how good they are now, and there are a few guys they drafted but didn't pony up the money to sign, some guys named Pedro Alvarez, Matt LaPorta, Allan Dykstra, Brandon Belt, Jacob Cowan, and Yasmani Grandal to name a few...they did better in guys they didn't sign than we did with guys we did.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by CamdenRevival » September 18th, 2010, 10:06 pm

I wonder if Alex Gordon could ever be a possibility. He was the 3rd Base version of Matt Wieters from a couple of years earlier (ultra-high draft pick, incredible minor league #s, annointed the next George Brett). Now, he's turned into Billy Rowell (flashes but no consistency, move him around the field, etc).

He definitely needs a change of scenery and, while he won't necessarily come cheap, I could see the Royals trying to deal him for a solid young arm. Much like Chris Nelson (though more expensive), his higher upside could be worth a gamble.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by allstar1579 » September 18th, 2010, 10:22 pm

CamdenRevival wrote:I wonder if Alex Gordon could ever be a possibility. He was the 3rd Base version of Matt Wieters from a couple of years earlier (ultra-high draft pick, incredible minor league #s, annointed the next George Brett). Now, he's turned into Billy Rowell (flashes but no consistency, move him around the field, etc).

He definitely needs a change of scenery and, while he won't necessarily come cheap, I could see the Royals trying to deal him for a solid young arm. Much like Chris Nelson (though more expensive), his higher upside could be worth a gamble.

Possible, but they know the curiosity factor gives him some trade value so they have been holding out to get something good for him. They actually might not have any room for him at all soon, and could start fielding offers for him, and Butler as well, they will make some moves when they get closer to competing. You might see Grienke moved in the next year or so, but it'll have to be for another impact pitcher.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 21st, 2010, 4:43 pm

CamdenRevival wrote:I wonder if Alex Gordon could ever be a possibility. He was the 3rd Base version of Matt Wieters from a couple of years earlier (ultra-high draft pick, incredible minor league #s, annointed the next George Brett). Now, he's turned into Billy Rowell (flashes but no consistency, move him around the field, etc).

Could be a good option for us. I'd rather see if Kevin Kouzmanoff is available. He'd be a good stopgap until Bell is ready. Plus I do love his defense. His power numbers look bad, but remember he's had the misfortune of playing in two of the most pitcher-friendly parks in the league half the time: San Diego and Oakland. I think he's worth taking a flyer on.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by LukeScottsShotgun » October 6th, 2010, 8:40 am

Crazy idea... if the Cubs would eat a majority of his contract, should the Orioles consider trading for Carlos Zambrano? I keep on hearing his name thrown around. Personally, I'm not for it because mentally unstable pitchers typically suck in the AL East (see: AJ Burnett).

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Don » October 6th, 2010, 10:14 am

I am shocked that I have seen so many posts without one of the obvious names not going off the board.

Brandon Webb

You are getting a flawed pitcher, but one of the best ground ball ratio in the history of baseball. His game sets up perfectly for Camden Yards and the AL East. He is already improving throwing off the mound with increased velocity during instructional league play. He feels somewhere in the 85-90% range and should be ready to go full tilt by spring training. He will be an un-restricted free agent that will fly under the radar because two other big name pitchers might grab the first attention of the big clubs.

It might take a risky contact that could be mutually terminated to give both the pitcher and team some options out after the first or second season in order to attain a larger contract.

I would not mind seeing Carl Palvano in an Orioles uniform as well.

The Orioles will target ground ball pitchers, so guys like Zambrano and Young are off the table.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #15 by LukeScottsShotgun » October 6th, 2010, 11:31 am

Don wrote:I am shocked that I have seen so many posts without one of the obvious names not going off the board.

Brandon Webb

You are getting a flawed pitcher, but one of the best ground ball ratio in the history of baseball. His game sets up perfectly for Camden Yards and the AL East. He is already improving throwing off the mound with increased velocity during instructional league play. He feels somewhere in the 85-90% range and should be ready to go full tilt by spring training. He will be an un-restricted free agent that will fly under the radar because two other big name pitchers might grab the first attention of the big clubs.

It might take a risky contact that could be mutually terminated to give both the pitcher and team some options out after the first or second season in order to attain a larger contract.

I would not mind seeing Carl Palvano in an Orioles uniform as well.

The Orioles will target ground ball pitchers, so guys like Zambrano and Young are off the table.

My apologies, didn't know he was an unrestricted free agent. Webb would be a fantastic option, but I'd make sure that:
A.) He's healthy.
B.) He is willing to take an incentive-laden deal due to his injury history.

Also, if we're going to target ground ball pitchers (which I certainly agree with), why not give our old nemesis Chien-Ming Wang (or however you spell it) a spring training invite? He used to be extremely good, and if we could possibly get his mechanics back to what they were, we'd have a huge bargain.

Zambrano still intrigues me a bit. Seems to me like he just needs a change of scenery. And what's sad is the one team who could DEFINITELY fix him (the Cardinals) will definitely not be able to get him because the Cubs would never trade within their own division and they know the Cardinals would probably be able to fix him.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles