Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Arizona Fall League Thread

Re: Arizona Fall League Thread

PostPost #16 by j.q. higgins » October 30th, 2011, 9:05 am

anybody have any recent field reports on avery? on paper, it looks like he is officially going nuts out there.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #17 by Don » October 31st, 2011, 10:02 am

He was showing patience when I was out in Arizona and it takes time to really start to see the ball. He is always going to be a year behind his age group and likely his ceiling in baseball might be 28-29 years instead of the normal 26-27.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #18 by ofahn » October 31st, 2011, 10:17 am

Even if we trade Jones I think it would be a good idea to start Avery at AA this year. He needs to learn more of the game and should be required to dominate at a level before he moves up.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by Don » November 1st, 2011, 10:47 am

Maybe I need to spell it out a bit better. I think any comparison of Avery has to be Gose, I do not think it is is comp at the moment. Gose has cleared a few more steps at the plate and has turned the tools into skill.

I think Avery is almost as fast as Gose and has similar traits the more or less this is where Avery needs to be in a year or two.

I have made my thoughts known on Avery in a few places. His game at the moment is raw in the field and at the plate, but he shows the work ethic and the subtle steps to improve his game. He was behind the curve compared to his age group and I expect his growth curve might last a bit longer than you expect. He is holding his weight for one of the youngest players in the Eastern League and he is really a year or a year and half behind his age in the game of baseball.

He was always going to take that full 5 years of minor league ball before you see where he stands. This recent surge is nice and hopefully he takes the additional steps at Bowie next season.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #20 by ofahn » November 1st, 2011, 11:03 am

So you agree that he would be better off starting at AA this year?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #21 by Zach » November 1st, 2011, 1:49 pm

The announcement of the roster for the Rising Stars game today got me thinking about last year. Did any orioles prospect make the game last year? I can't remember now.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #22 by Don » November 1st, 2011, 4:02 pm

I do not know if it has been reported yet, but I know Xavier Avery made the rising stars game.

And yes, in a perfect world Xavier Avery should stay in Bowie for at least the first half. If he starts to turn the corner in the first half of the season, it might be wise to test him in Norfolk to round out the year.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #23 by kwalker35 » November 2nd, 2011, 8:58 am

I agree with you Don, I think Avery should start at Bowie next season, and if he dominates, promote him. I believe , regardless of a player's talent , they should recieve a minimum of 1200 at bats in the minor leagues. I think the experience is important.
kwalker35
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #24 by Zach » November 7th, 2011, 9:36 am

Is there any chance that LJ Hoes gets to play at all in Arizona? Also, does management (or what is there right now) see Sean Gleason in the future plans for the major league club? He has gotten rocked in Arizona. Granted it is hard to see these games so I don't know whether he is working on something or just struggling, but 4 digit eras are always a little worrisome.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #25 by Don » November 7th, 2011, 10:25 am

It is a bit mis-leading as Sean Gleason was hammered hard in one outing that simply skew the overall stats. Stats in the AFL are in a vacuum that scouts throw it off to the side when evaluation occurs. I can care less if a guy goes 4-4 or strikes out the side. I am looking to see how he covers the plate, looking to see how the pitcher pounds the zone, and so many things that do not go on the scoreboard.

Gleason throws hard and can throw strikes with movement. I would like to see him round out his game a bit more, but there is a good deal to see a bullpen role with the Orioles or another team. The same can be said for Cole McCurry.

LJ Hoes has a minor injury that sidelined him and the Orioles have simply shut him down from my understanding.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #26 by Matt P » November 10th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Avery - .842 OPS
Mahoney - .939 OPS

It's a hitters league and a small sample size but it is great to see both of them hitting the ball well.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #27 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 11th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Tune into MLB Network to catch the Solar Sox in action. Xavier Avery and Joe Mahoney are in the lineup and Steve Johnson is starting. So far:

Ryan Wheeler rocketed a Steve Johnson changeup to the warning track, but Xavier Avery was there to make the catch.

Johnson's breaking ball is looking a tick above average. Has some slight light break.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #28 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 11th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Xavier Avery shows off his speed by dropping a perfect bunt down the first base line for a single.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #29 by BuckMagic » November 12th, 2011, 12:21 pm

Jordan wrote:Tune into MLB Network to catch the Solar Sox in action. Xavier Avery and Joe Mahoney are in the lineup and Steve Johnson is starting. So far:

Ryan Wheeler rocketed a Steve Johnson changeup to the warning track, but Xavier Avery was there to make the catch.

Johnson's breaking ball is looking a tick above average. Has some slight light break.

How much longer are they going to keep Johnson a SP?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #30 by j.q. higgins » November 29th, 2011, 10:18 am

so, curious: is there any reason to put stock in mahoney and avery's numbers from the afl? i'm told that it's very hitter friendly and, on the whole, offensive stats aren't worth a glass of warm spit.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Minor Leagues