Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Indians Have Acquired Derek Lowe From The Braves

The Indians Have Acquired Derek Lowe From The Braves

PostPost #1 by ofahn » October 31st, 2011, 12:39 pm

The Atlanta Braces, as usual, have moved quickly to address a problem and improve their team.

They traded Derek Lowe to Cleveland for 23-year-old High-A lefty reliever Chris Jones. The Braves will pay 10M of Lowe's 15M 2012 salary.

Lowe at 38 is still a groundball machine (59% groundball rate in 187 innings, ranked second in all of baseball) which is critical for success in Camden Yards. He posted a line of 5.05 ERA, 6.6 K/9, 3.4 BB/9, 0.67 HR/9. While there is no question that he is no longer a premier pitcher, those stats are probably better than what we will be able to acquire by trade or the free agent market unless we overpay in money or prospects.

In August I posted on how I would fix the Orioles(http://orioles-nation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=491). One of the trades I suggested was for Derek Lowe; however, I thought it would cost more than the Indians gave up to get him. Jones, the pitcher the Braves received, is comparable to Oliver Drake who would not make anyone's top ten prospect list.

We may never know if we lost out on Lowe because the team wasn't interested or that there was no one in charge at the Warehouse to make this trade. Regardless, I think we missed a golden opportunity to fill the rotation with an affordable ML talent.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: The Indians Have Acquired Derek Lowe From The Braves

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 3rd, 2011, 6:54 pm

Very solid deal for Atlanta. They get $5 million and Mike Minor or one of their other younger pitchers should provide similar, if not better production.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: The Indians Have Acquired Derek Lowe From The Braves

PostPost #3 by ofahn » November 18th, 2011, 7:33 pm

I have a feeling that Derek Lowe is going to look better and better as we see the price of "free" agent starters this winter. In effect, the Indians got this year's version of Kevin Millwood for 5M and a non prospect.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles