Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why are they dragging this GM hiring process out?

Re: Why are they dragging this GM hiring process out?

PostPost #16 by Matt P » October 28th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by Don » October 29th, 2011, 10:34 pm

I want you guys to read Chris Stoner's take on this issue. He and I share a great deal of opinions on this matter.

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/?p=3148
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #18 by Matt P » October 30th, 2011, 8:06 am

I really think you're overreacting about Stockstill getting an interview. They aren't likely to hire him and it was likely just a courtesy interview so I don't see the big deal. I don't recall people getting all upset when they interviewed Dempsey as a managerial candidate since everyone knew it was just a courtesy.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by j.q. higgins » October 30th, 2011, 9:07 am

dempsey didn't seem to know it!
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #20 by Don » October 30th, 2011, 9:23 pm

I really think you're overreacting about Stockstill getting an interview. They aren't likely to hire him and it was likely just a courtesy interview so I don't see the big deal.

It is even a bigger deal if this is your take of a "courtesy interview". If they are doing this to placate him and the warehouse, it is a lame duck process because he would never get it anyway. If they limit it to 5 people to interview, they sold themselves the chance to interview someone that could actually get the position.

It is the public perception aspect as well, and I have not even hit on this subject matter.

If you think I am over-reacting, it is your right to think it is the case. I have just been too entrenched over my life span to know what passes the smell test.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #21 by Rising O's » October 31st, 2011, 5:49 am

Someone at the top respected him enough to force the issue. My guess is it was MacPhail. But why did it take so long? He should have been an early interview and be done with it if it simply was a courtesy. And yes, with all the delay, why haven't more people been given a chance to interview? Once again the Orioles seem to be functioning poorly. We keep hearing how Peter needs to be kept involved and how he is not always available, well I guess this is yet another clue how he is just a speed bump in the organizational process.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #22 by Don » October 31st, 2011, 10:00 am

As I said a great while back, Peter is in the warehouse maybe a handful of times in the warehouse. He is never in the day to day operation aspects on what is done leading up to it. He comes into the picture only on the big issues when they are 90% complete.

He can do anything he wants as the owner, but some of these practices of keeping your fingers in the pot are a bit too much if you are not actively involved in any big process from the get go...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #23 by Matt P » November 1st, 2011, 5:27 pm

LaCava has turned the O's offer down to become GM.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Rising O's » November 1st, 2011, 10:54 pm

ROFL :lol:
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #25 by Rising O's » November 1st, 2011, 11:10 pm

So this guy turns down the offer allegedly because he has plans to move certain players on the roster that the rest of the organization disagreed with. Please sell the team Peter.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #26 by kwalker35 » November 2nd, 2011, 8:34 am

Are we sure Aubrey Huff was talking about the city of Baltimore , or was he talking about the organization. What a horse#**# outfit that's really running this mess. WOW, REALLY ? , or should I say, typical .
kwalker35
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #27 by Don » November 2nd, 2011, 11:17 am

This is not in a vacuum and it was not one giant issue here or a giant issue there. Parties had different visions on how to run things and could not agree to become a GM. It is how the Orioles want to run things and how LaCava wanted to run them, not about who to hire, who to retain...

It was just so many little differences in philosophies, that he was more comfortable going back to Toronto. He wanted to hear what they had to offer and weigh everything that was truly on the table. I do not think either party is wrong on their take, just that it did not match.

I applaud his stand up act and I would not expect any less from him or his public responses. He is a fine baseball mind and solid person. It is shame that things could not work out, but not every pairing works out. It has to be the right person and the right opportunity.

It was not him at this moment, just hope the Orioles can have one vision and everyone on the same page on how to successfully run a baseball organization.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #28 by mcgraw238 » November 2nd, 2011, 12:26 pm

Thanks for the update Don. It's easy to pile on the O's as we know thier way has not achieved results. It would be nice it the O's were open to a fresh approach which we fans feel is sorely needed. I commend LaCava for sticking by his principles and refusing the compromise on things that were important to him.
mcgraw238
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #29 by Don » November 2nd, 2011, 2:34 pm

I cannot take the stance of throwing Peter Angelos the person under the bus. He is a very nice man that has a soft side to charity. He does a lot of things for Baltimore and does not want the public recognition for it. You will never see a negative comment about him, but....

If you want to talk about the organization and anything related, it is free to discuss at any length.

This is not directed to anyone on the thread or readers of Orioles Nation, it is not something I have seen from this site. I just have seen a good deal of personal vial throw his way in other outlets. They may not like the way he runs the club, but some of the things I have seen have to show a bit more respect for the person.

If I ever take that stance, please call me out for it.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #30 by mcgraw238 » November 2nd, 2011, 2:44 pm

Your points on Angelos are correct as he has done many great things for the city and charity. He also has been loyal to his employees, probably to a fault. However, his management skills in all things baseball related leave plenty of room for respectful criticism and the restrictions on his baseball people, some well know & many I suspect not so well known, is poor. But, it is extremely disappointing that meaningful changes to the organization structure and organizational have not been implemented. Many of the problems in scouting & development has been talked to death but its hard to see improvement. Most feel this GM hire is/was an opportunity to put the franchise on the right path but we fans have been subjected to a drawn out process with the initial target choosing to remain in a lesser position with his current club.
mcgraw238
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles