Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Scouting Director

Scouting Director

PostPost #1 by Zach » October 27th, 2011, 1:51 pm

There are rumors of Dipito favoring Chris Ricci of the Indians and LaCalva favoring Marc Tramuta of the Blue Jays to replace Joe Jordan as Scouting Director if they were to get the GM position. I am not that familiar with most front offices so I was wondering how well these guys are thought of. Would they be a good fit to replace Jordan? Also, are their any other candidates floating out there who would help to solve the Orioles' farm system and avoid the Billy Rowells?
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Scouting Director

PostPost #2 by ofahn » October 27th, 2011, 2:33 pm

I'm not sure I would label Rowell as a failure in scouting as much as I would a failure in development. He certainly had all of the skills you would look for it a first round pick. He just hasn't developed them into success on the field.

If you have been following Bryce Harper with the Nationals you will see the same kind of behavior that Rowell exhibited. The Nationals have tried to deal with it before it becomes a bigger problem.

I think there has been an organization wide tendency to downplay any development problems with high draft choices since Peter Angelos went apes**t over the massive, expensive failures with the six first round picks in 1999. That was a failure in scouting but everyone in the organization was blamed to some degree or another and very few employees felt secure enough in their employment to tell PA some other kid he just spent 2M plus for was not doing well. This may be part of the reason that PA was willing to spend 25M on fading veterans last winter but only 8M on draft picks. It's wrong headed but it's his money.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Scouting Director

PostPost #3 by Zach » October 27th, 2011, 5:53 pm

I didn't mean to imply that Jordan was bad at all. I think that he did a very good job actually overall and completely agree with your analysis on development. It is part of the reason it scares me that we are even interviewing stockstill for gm. Rowell didn't have the mindset to succeed and that is something that scouting could have foreseen.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Return to Baltimore Orioles