Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

new pitching coach?

new pitching coach?

PostPost #1 by j.q. higgins » October 18th, 2011, 6:16 am

much has been made of the mark connor/rick adair coaching fiasco in 2011. how much of the pitching woes from last year are attributable to these characters? do you think installing mcgregor or griffin could make a positive difference or are are they more valuable in instructional, minor league roles?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: new pitching coach?

PostPost #2 by Don » October 18th, 2011, 10:37 am

I would not classify either Adair or Connor as the root problem. Connor may not have clicked with Brian Matusz, but darn it if he did so with Jake. The pitching coach can tweak something here or tilt something there to gain a tick or two and/or improve command.

Still I say the root problem with the entire staff was lack of professionalism. It is the biggest issue with Brian. No one saw Jeremy with stuff or command issues through the season.

Each pitcher goes through it's 10/10/10 starts, but Adding new guys to the mix would only be for the mental aspects.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by kwalker35 » October 18th, 2011, 10:45 am

I think one of buck's biggest mistakes was removing Rick kranitz as pitching coach last off season. I thought Kranitz built a nice repore with the young pitchers, and I thought they were growing as a unit. They are now faced with the fact that a fourth pitching coach in a three year period is ahead for the young staff. Not good for growth of a pitching staff.
kwalker35
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » November 17th, 2011, 2:40 pm

My sources tell me Joe Kerrigan has interviewed with DD. Adair likely goes back to the bullpen :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 17th, 2011, 3:25 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:My sources tell me Joe Kerrigan has interviewed with DD. Adair likely goes back to the bullpen :D

I believe that Kerrigan is having double knee surgery. He might not be available.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » November 18th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Double knee surgery is not a death sentence. I work with a 62 year old lady who had both knees done a year ago. She was back at work in 8 weeks and walks perfectly. She looks great. ;)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 18th, 2011, 4:05 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Double knee surgery is not a death sentence. I work with a 62 year old lady who had both knees done a year ago. She was back at work in 8 weeks and walks perfectly. She looks great. ;)

That's assuming there are no complications. If there are...................

I think the concern might be whether he will ready by mid February. If there's any question about that it could become a factor in offering him the job.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Matt P » November 18th, 2011, 5:16 pm

I think the problem was the lack of an organizational program for pitchers. Hearing Duquette mention in his interview that he one of the first things he needs to get done is a pitching program was alarming. I really can't believe they didn't have one.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » November 19th, 2011, 10:46 am

The key is therapy and how you attack it. That determines your level of mobility. If you work hard, you will make a full recovery :)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » November 19th, 2011, 10:48 am

Way overdue for sure. Need a total revamping. I just hope Griffin is part of the solution :)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles